Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

My parents would be upset at first but in the long run they'd be better off

Notices

My parents would be upset at first but in the long run they'd be better off

Old 02-16-2022, 06:31 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Well, I can see FF was here this morning.....so hopefully that is a good sign.
Old 02-16-2022, 06:05 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Thanks, Suze. I didn't think to check. Relieved.
Old 02-16-2022, 06:21 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Sending you lots of love FF ❤️❤️
Old 02-16-2022, 06:48 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I nearly lost my daughter to suicide 11 years ago. Worst case of depression I have ever witnessed. Took 7 ECT treatments, the right med cocktail, and plenty of work on her part. She recovered. She went to grad school and became a therapist. Go figure, yet it makes perfect sense. She now works at the VA with addictions, PTSD, etc.

One of the fundamental principles in Buddhism is impermanence. Yes, we are impermanent, but so also all phenomena. Things change. Always. And we have a part in that change. "...grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference."

Suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem. No being is "fixed" by oblivion. I recently read a piece by a psychoanalyst who linked addiction and suicide as two ways of seeking the same thing - oblivion. The precursor is fear, and the fear that things are permanent. That's what paralyzed my daughter. She thought that the rest of her life was cast. It wasn't. She thought she was alone. She wasn't.

There are people who have been through the same or worse who are willing to help. You must be willing to be helped. It takes courage. I just noticed you have over 2,400 posts here. That's courageous.

Ten years ago I wanted to die. My daughter got me help and now each day is better than the last. Things change if we allow them to change.

Warren

Old 02-16-2022, 07:20 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Your parents would not be better off without you. They would grieve and wonder and blame themselves forever.

Please don't hurt yourself. You are worth so much more than you give yourself credit for.
Old 02-16-2022, 09:21 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by warrens View Post
I nearly lost my daughter to suicide 11 years ago. Worst case of depression I have ever witnessed. Took 7 ECT treatments, the right med cocktail, and plenty of work on her part. She recovered. She went to grad school and became a therapist. Go figure, yet it makes perfect sense. She now works at the VA with addictions, PTSD, etc.

One of the fundamental principles in Buddhism is impermanence. Yes, we are impermanent, but so also all phenomena. Things change. Always. And we have a part in that change. "...grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference."

Suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem. No being is "fixed" by oblivion. I recently read a piece by a psychoanalyst who linked addiction and suicide as two ways of seeking the same thing - oblivion. The precursor is fear, and the fear that things are permanent. That's what paralyzed my daughter. She thought that the rest of her life was cast. It wasn't. She thought she was alone. She wasn't.

There are people who have been through the same or worse who are willing to help. You must be willing to be helped. It takes courage. I just noticed you have over 2,400 posts here. That's courageous.

Ten years ago I wanted to die. My daughter got me help and now each day is better than the last. Things change if we allow them to change.

Warren
Beautiful and deep post
Old 02-16-2022, 09:27 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Feeling a bit better today. Alcohol does not mix with depression. Day 1 today.
Old 02-16-2022, 10:14 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Suicide is like squeezing the whole thing tighter, you know? Instead of just letting it go and moving toward freedom. It's the freedom impulse of someone who only knows the cage and the drama, the various roles that affirm each other, the chemicals that hold the show in place. Of course the tendency is to push the play to its conclusion so we can exit the theater. And I think in some childish way, we mistake that ending or departure for death. But there are also happy endings.

I think letting go of the alcohol, the rancor, the relations, the roles, moving into the unknown. Then I think there is a little taste of freedom to be had in this life.
Old 02-17-2022, 05:40 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Dear FF,

Please read Warren's post. xx

And glad to see you s

Warren
Old 02-17-2022, 07:51 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Hey, great to see you FF!!! I've really been fretting over you and am glad today can by your Day 1.

Old 02-17-2022, 09:34 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

FF did you ever try a Smart Recovery meeting? You needn't feel out of place, there are people on the group with complex mental health difficulties (i.e., not just alcohol).
Old 02-17-2022, 09:46 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you're feeling better today, FF. And, yes, alcohol is a depressant so it worsens depression.
Old 02-17-2022, 10:09 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Freedom, so happy to see you here. Yes alcohol is a depressant. It made me feel far more depressed, I just thought it was how my life was going to be. Very ignorant on my part. Please keep coming here to check in and vent or express whatever you need to. Also talk with your parents, I am sure they care and would do anything to help you.
Old 02-17-2022, 01:50 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

🤓
Old 02-17-2022, 02:59 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

FF - I'm so glad you're feeling a bit better. We care about you.

Warrens - What a wonderful post. I'm happy your daughter made it through that dark time & thrived.
Old 02-17-2022, 03:23 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Good to see you FF ~ glad you're feeling a little better today...maybe check out the links to the hotlines that Dee shared?

Old 02-17-2022, 03:42 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

Originally Posted by freedomfries View Post
Feeling a bit better today. Alcohol does not mix with depression. Day 1 today.
Well, that's the understatement of the century. Fire+Gas. Glad you survived that to get another chance to free yourself.
Old 02-17-2022, 04:40 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Warren
Glad you and you're daughter are doing better.
Old 02-17-2022, 06:07 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Hi FF, so glad you are back at it on day 1! I know day 1s are tough, but at least it’s not another day to add to your drinking days!! I have no idea what my drinking days number would be it would probably be 30,000 or something even higher than that. Take comfort that you’re adding to the alcohol free days ❤️❤️
Old 02-18-2022, 04:39 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Freedomfries, so glad you're feeling better, I made the mistake years ago mixing my antidepressants that I took after having my baby with alcohol and it sent me spiralling downwards, give yourself some self love you deserve to, I hope you have a lovely day, we are all cheering for you x