Notices

My story

Old 02-02-2022, 08:34 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Lightbulb My story

Hello everyone, I'm Zoran, I'm from Serbia. This is my story.
It has been exactly 2 years since I went to be treated for the substance. In the first year, I abstained and progressed incredibly well, until the moment when I had my first relapse. It's amazing how quickly addiction returns. Because I noticed that, with unsuccessful attempts to cure myself. I decided to admit that I had returned to my relatives.
And he started treatment again. This time it was much harder than the first time. I had a relapse during the first 2 months of treatment. After that I managed to endure 4 months and I got a relapse again. Now I am on the path of abstinence again and this is my first connection with the group. Outside the clinic I went to.
While I am abstinent, my behavior and work on myself is amazing compared to using a substance.
I do self-hypnosis, breathing exercises, sleep regularly organized every day, write a daily plan and read a book every day for an hour.
I respect time, I'm never late. I don't read newspapers and I don't bother with unimportant things. Almost perfect life. And I really enjoy it. And then I have a relapse of WTF.
My relapses are very painful, short-lived. But they have big consequences for me. I just can't believe I'm doing something like that to myself.
What is good is that I stay on the right path. I get up again in the morning, do yoga, meditate, breathe and everything else. And then I'll be clean for a few weeks or a month and again. I feel very lonely in what I do and I would like to hear what other people's experiences are like.
Old 02-02-2022, 08:48 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Welcome sir.

Us addicts have scientifically proven permanent brain damage. Connections in our brains have been damaged and they will never return.

Drugs (booze) give us a rush of euphoria that we crave over and over. Like any addiction (e.g. food, sex, gambling) we want the rush and the only way to get it is to do the addiction.

On top of that when we get high our body begins to stop producing natural endorphins etc. So the only way to feel great is to get high.

I learned that through heavy exercise I can get high. The natural high lasts for much longer than a drug induced high.

In between chances to get a natural high, I crave. I suffer.

In time our body adapts to what is left of our brain connections and we can normalize to an extent. But, the crave is for life.

1 month, 1 year, 10 years, etc etc. The crave will manifest.

Strategies for defeating the crave include posting on SR, going to AA meetings, therapy, projects, painting, exercise, etc etc etc.

Just don't drink.

That is all for now.

Thanks for the therapy.
Old 02-02-2022, 11:14 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Zoran. That cycle of sobriety, then drinking, then sobriety sounds so exhausting and awful. I nearly drank myself to death after 30 years of hard drinking and I quit two years ago, but so far, I have not drank again. Many people on SR have had times that they return to drinking and their stories also sound very scary.

I appreciate you joining SR and telling your story. It helps me to stay on my healthy path.

I hope you can break the cycle for good.
Old 02-02-2022, 12:13 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Zoran - good to have you here

The support really made a difference for me.
It meant so much to have people around me who understood and who wanted to help me stay clean and sober, for good.

I know we can help you too

D
Old 02-02-2022, 12:30 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome Zoran.

Many people here have relapsed, myself included. Been sober 2 years now and it is so much better. Same will be for you.

I hope you continue to post with more of your story. Your sober recovery story.

Old 02-02-2022, 01:14 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, Zoran! I'm glad you found us here.
Old 02-02-2022, 02:52 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi Zoran - it's great to meet you.
I've checked in here every day for many years. It helps me stay vigilant - a constant reminder of the misery I will suffer if I ever start up again.
I hope you'll keep posting - we want to help.
Old 02-02-2022, 04:11 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome Zoran- I am glad you found us. There is lots of experience and knowledge here- I'm sure we can help you, this place certainly has been instrumental in my own journey.
Old 02-02-2022, 08:20 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hello Zoran
You’ve come to the right place. There are loads of us here all going through the same thing. I’m new too, so let’s make this journey with support from all those on here who have walked this path before us 💪
Old 02-02-2022, 08:56 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome friend. You have come to the right place. I had over 3 years sober and healthy, but I became complacent and picked up again during a time of high stress. After quitting again I found it difficult staying sober this time around - like you, I would get a month or two, even three months a couple of times.. then slip back. Thanks to the support here, I am back on track again. You just have to stay involved with the group - it is key in my opinion.
Old 02-02-2022, 11:34 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Wow, I'm so grateful you all took the time to post.
Thank you all for your advice and support.
I was being treated for stimulants, not alcohol. But addiction is same.
I am sure I will stay on the path of sobriety.

Some time i win, some time i learn.

Thanks again for supporting everyone