Notices

Day 17 .. still tired but productive !

Old 01-07-2022, 12:40 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 17 .. still tired but productive !

I. Cannot. Sleep … that is the problem. I’m so jealous of you all who say “I sleep like a baby” etc (but pleased for you though !). I turn my light out at midnight but toss and turn til 3 or 4 .. then I cancel the alarm and wake up at 9 or 10 .. and by the time I’ve had my breakfast, half the morning has gone. BUT miraculously I seem to be able to work , so there’s that to be grateful for I suppose. I’m not really worrying in the middle of the night … if I am I say what ever it is (and the solution to it ) out loud and then it dissipates .., crazy, but it works for me ! Anyway, still sober, no cravings .. but consuming chocolate like it’s going out of style !
Old 01-07-2022, 01:35 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope your sleep will settle down soon ICDT. Congrats on day 17!

D
Old 01-07-2022, 01:49 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

ICDT i was the same as far as sleep went in the beginning, it took a while to sort itself out. I was over weight and physically unfit. So i had to do something. After losing some of the weight it definitely improved. The sugar consumption is very common im still the same a year later but substituted with dark chocolate just to get a sugar fix i also eat lots of fruit. Keep going it will improve.
Old 01-07-2022, 02:46 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you AL48. I am unfit ..my New Years resolution was to walk every day but it’s so darn cold and rainy, that hasn’t happened , plus I’m eating chocolate like it’s going out of style …I’ve got to fix up !
Old 01-07-2022, 04:47 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Just a thought- chocolate will keep you up if you are sensitive to caffeine (I know this because of personal experience) so try to steer clear of it if it's close to bedtime!
Old 01-07-2022, 05:15 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

it gets better Ican...hang in there. The insomnia is the price we pay at the beginning of sobriety- don't fight it!
Old 01-07-2022, 05:25 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I forgot to say- great job on day 17!!! That's fantastic!!
Old 01-07-2022, 11:06 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

ICDT you just got to get out and do it regardless of the weather.
Fitness like staying sober is far from easy but the satisfaction you feel afterwards makes it worthwhile.
Again patience is needed. It took me 7 months to lose 20kg and it seems to have settled now up and down a kg but im at a good place.
When asked how did i do it, everybody wants it now, but no-one wants to hear if it takes more than 2 weeks as theres a wedding or they're off to Spain and want that beach body🙂.It wont happen.
Like you i had to make a lifestyle change, first and foremost finish with Alcohol. Once thats conquered believe me you can walk in any weather rain hail or snow. I cant tell you enough the benefits of getting out, for you mental health alone it will give you a tremendous boost of confidence in yourself and your ability to get past this difficult stage.
Keep at it and stay strong.
Old 01-08-2022, 01:43 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

You are absolutely right AL … did you walk or try other forms of exercise ? 20k is amazing ! Well done !
Old 01-08-2022, 07:24 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Sorry to hear about the bad sleep, Ican. I would suggest no chocolate for several hours before bedtime as well as no tea or coffee past noon unless it's decaf. I would also suggest a glass of warm milk before bed, and/or peanut butter and banana on toast.

Exercise is also a big component for me. The harder I work out the better I sleep. If it's cold and rainy just bundle up and go. after a couple of weeks you will become addicted to it - seriously! You won't want to miss a day!
Old 01-08-2022, 07:30 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Great job on Day 17, and I'm glad you're feeling well. Hopefully your sleep will settle soon.

It's cold here too in the winter and I don't walk as much as I'd like to. Have you tried youtube exercise videos. I have some good yoga videos and also some 'dance to the oldies' videos which are good on days when I'm looking for more exercise.
Old 01-08-2022, 01:17 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Icandothis2013 View Post
You are absolutely right AL … did you walk or try other forms of exercise ? 20k is amazing ! Well done !
I help the coaches with my sons u16s rugby team and do the strenght and conditioning twice a week with them only 30 minutes each session tough going but a great workout.Otherwise im only able for walking i have disc issues in my neck. I love the walking regardless sometimes i like to be on my own and listen to music or a good podcast as i walk. Good for the brain and helps me clears any stress i feel. Of course thats so much better now without the alcohol. Keep going ICDT you are doing great be You can join in with the thread "road to spring" we all post our exercise it can be walking, running, gardening, cleaning windows it dosent matter. Great incentive to do something during the day 👍
Old 01-08-2022, 01:22 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thanks AL48. Where is the Road to Spring thread please ?
Old 01-08-2022, 01:33 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

sorry not sure how to share the links hope this helps.