Notices

Trying again!

Old 12-23-2021, 06:29 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Sending you good wishes for a speedy recovery. I got knocked off the road on my bike by a truck too many years ago, but landed in grass and only got some scrapes and sore muscles. It was so scary and I was far away from help. Truck just drove away. . .
Old 12-23-2021, 07:39 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Really sorry to hear what happened, Peke. So glad it wasn't worse. I hope the driver stopped.

There are a lot of distracted drivers out there, and also more aggression towards cyclists lately, at least where I live. I hope that wasn't your situation.

We have to be at the top of our game and fortunately your overall fitness helped you. Best wishes for a speedy recovery, Peke.
Old 12-23-2021, 07:49 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Oh wow Pekelover. That is so scary. Although I'm sure you don't feel lucky right now, it could have been so much worse. I hope you recover quickly and if what happened to you isn't a metaphor for binge drinking, I don't know what is!!! Take care of yourself and don't drink through any of it. Deal???
Old 12-23-2021, 08:27 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Thank you all so much for the kind words.
If you could see what I look like, you wouldn’t believe it. My knee skin split in two.I got twenty staples from ortho. I need cane just to get up.
My face is bruised and I look like I was in a boxing match.
My helmet split: both the outer plastic part and the inner foam portion.
I looked so bad at the site that they were going to airlift me. My husband is an ER doc. He said seeing me took his breath away.
Thank you all so much.
Old 12-23-2021, 11:52 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Omg Pekelover that's terrible to hear.

Get well soon. Rest up, and take care.

Agree with advike motorists can be very aggressive towards cyclists sometimes. Hope this was not the case.

And great that you are no longer drinking.

Old 12-24-2021, 03:41 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Hi Peke,

It doesnt take a scientist to know that crashing continually is only going to end up one way. The metaphor is almost palpable. Now more than ever is your chance to begin healing inside and out. Take it.
Old 12-24-2021, 07:09 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Wow...I hope you are healing. Hang in there.
Old 12-24-2021, 09:48 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

How are you this morning? Even more sore I imagine?
Old 12-24-2021, 12:43 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Hope you are doing ok Pekelover.

Was thinking this morning how great it was you were wearing a helmet.

Traumatic experience Peke. Take care. ❤️

Good to talk about it with friends.
Old 12-26-2021, 04:44 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Hi Peke, I am so glad you're OK. It sounds like a horrendous accident and you're very fortunate.

Cycling can be dangerous, being experienced in it you know better than I. Almost a year to the day today, one of my friends broke his back falling off his bike. He was airlifted to hospital. Eighteen months ago, my partner ran into a parked car on his bike. Going 40km/h, he somersaulted over the handlebars, landed squarely on his helmet and could have broken his neck - very lucky to walk away. A year before that, a colleague died in a cycling accident.

It may or may not have been your fuzzy condition coming off a bender. But you need all your wits about you on a bike.

I have a friend who talks about 'the feather, the brick and the truck'. He needed to change his life and walk away from his poisonous corporate job that constantly took him away from his family. He was neglecting them and he knew it. Consequently he was suffering from low-grade health issues. He says that was the feather that was tickling him to change his ways. A year later, his father died and he took time off - he collapsed in a heap in the middle of that period, and that was the brick thrown at his head that should have woken him up. But he still didn't respond and kept going just as hard.

A year or so after that, he was diagnosed with an incurable and debilitating blood cancer. That was the truck. He couldn't ignore that message. He quit his job and changed his life completely, and manages his health carefully. If he works too hard, he gets very sick. Today he coaches people to make changes to their lives.

I don't know if your truck was THE truck. Only you can know.

Your story just reminded me of how the universe will tell us what we need to hear and it's up to us if we're listening. We can avoid the life-derailing truck if we recognise the feather and failing that, don't miss the message of the brick.
Old 12-27-2021, 06:50 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

How are you feeling Peke? Hopefully on the mend.
Old 12-27-2021, 06:53 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

How are you doing Peke?? Other than looking like you just fought Mike Tyson in his prime?? I hope you are healing up and that you had a peaceful, healthy and quiet Christmas.
Old 12-27-2021, 07:13 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Just seeing this now, Peke. I hope you are doing alright and on the road to recovery- I know the days after are pretty bad. Let us know how you're doing. I'm thinking of you.
Old 12-27-2021, 06:21 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I'm thinking of you too, Peke.