Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

When the wind blows how strong are your roots - Weekenders 12 - 15 November 2021

Notices

When the wind blows how strong are your roots - Weekenders 12 - 15 November 2021

Old 11-13-2021, 05:07 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Kaily View Post
FAO Sao you are a Londoner, please can you tell me if this sign means I can pay to park here and if I am allowed to park for free before 10 or not at all? I'm sure they are designed to baffle us.

It's pretty clear. You need to have a drivers' permit issued between 10am-5pm to park. Otherwise you have to pay using one of the methods described.

No, really, don't take that seriously. I don't drive - I've taken driving lessons, and not to sound too cocky, but I was pretty good at it, in these narrow streets in western Scandinavia (seriously, I know there's not much space between V shaped valleys, but they have two lanes at what really only have space for one car)

Here, when you enter rehab you're put on an official register. You need to stay sober for 6 months before you can drive. My friend from my latest rehab stay back in March has managed that. She hates me, but is too nice to tell, that's why I have a crush on her. Haven't bothered to bother her recently though.

Anyways, I prefer cycling anyways. Not too much traffic in this town - not only does it give me the exercise, but also the practice for a drivers' license (I usually just cycle in the middle of the road, as with an MC, unless there is a car behind me where I'll weave to the right (or left for you ... weird... let me rephrase, "not right" people in UK/AU/SA), giving hand signals as turn signals), and well, not to rub it in (actually, really), but parking is easier.
Old 11-13-2021, 05:11 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Thanks Mags for the thread. I'm IN for the weekend please... I've just been watching the Lord Mayor's parade in the City of London on TV and thought of Sao and you other Londoners. I'd like to see it in person one day.

My recovery roots are growing stronger day by day. My housemate's (one) daily drink now causes no feelings of missing out at all. I do however get a reaction when I see a bottle of vodka - I immediately feel sick to my stomach... A reminder of bad times hopefully fading away.

Anyway, good to see our regulars gathering once again. Thank you for the photos etc. Best wishes to all. Forwards.
Old 11-13-2021, 05:24 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Polaroid View Post
It's pretty clear. You need to have a drivers' permit issued between 10am-5pm to park. Otherwise you have to pay using one of the methods described.
Thanks, yes that is how I read it. What about before 10? I just don't want to risk a fine. I drove into a no entry the other day - I was lost and my sat nav guided me there. I don't think that will be a mitigating circumstance to get me off the fine though.

Nice to see you Forwards, you must be very close to 3 years now.
Old 11-13-2021, 05:56 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Thanks, yes that is how I read it. What about before 10? I just don't want to risk a fine. I drove into a no entry the other day - I was lost and my sat nav guided me there. I don't think that will be a mitigating circumstance to get me off the fine though.
No, really, the current time of day doesn't matter. It's the timestamp on your drivers' license that matters.

If you park with a license timestamped earlier than 10am, you're in for a fine.

Don't take this seriously.
Old 11-13-2021, 06:21 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  

No, really, the current time of day doesn't matter. It's the timestamp on your drivers' license that matters.

If you park with a license timestamped earlier than 10am, you're in for a fine.

Don't take this seriously.

Does it make any difference that I passed my driving test on a Monday?
Old 11-13-2021, 07:02 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  
Magsie

I like the idea you can text when you park up. I’m guessing this is all registered beforehand like we have on the Humber Bridge.
We have tag on the inside windscreen and it bleeps when we go through the sensor and it comes off my account which is set up and deposit money into beforehand. It’s a good system and it’s a much quicker lane than queueing to pay at the toll bars.

Kaily I love that pic of carved bench and bird tree. Is that another real bird on top of it too? Does the bench have a plaque who made it? The tree isn’t broken….it’s just different.

Old 11-13-2021, 07:14 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  
Magsie

Oh yes! I just saw the plaque to the right of it.
Old 11-13-2021, 07:16 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  

No the plague in the background is just a map. Yes a real crow on top. It was a very cold frosty early morning.

These are from the same day. Just me, Alfie and the elements.

Old 11-13-2021, 07:22 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  
Magsie

Goodness! You had a lot of rain then!

Saw this and thought it was so cute. A man made it to put in his local park.

Old 11-13-2021, 07:25 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  

That is really cute.

What does the small writing under Stick Library say?
Old 11-13-2021, 08:05 AM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Does it make any difference that I passed my driving test on a Monday?
Yes, see - Mon-Fri are the exceptions. You're only allowed to park at Sat-&Sunday.
Old 11-13-2021, 08:58 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

That is really cute.

What does the small writing under Stick Library say?
The small writing says to please return the sticks when done. I saw that article too and thought it was really a cool idea. The man who did it is a kind soul.
Old 11-13-2021, 09:06 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  

Thanks Least.
Old 11-13-2021, 09:21 AM
  # 74 (permalink)  

Yes, see - Mon-Fri are the exceptions. You're only allowed to park at Sat-&Sunday.
Got it. Oh no wait, is that before or after 10am?
Old 11-13-2021, 11:18 AM
  # 75 (permalink)  

Got it. Oh no wait, is that before or after 10am?
Depends on who's on duty. If their last name starts with a letter from the first half of the alphabet, it's before. Otherwise after, (but not before after 5pm)

Makes sense, right?
Old 11-13-2021, 12:02 PM
  # 76 (permalink)  

My roots needed a bit of fertilizer.
I stopped by here.
Happy weekend!
Old 11-13-2021, 12:24 PM
  # 77 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AL48 View Post
Love the pic Mesaman. Cold and rain for today just have to get on with it i suppose Its just the rain during the summer is warm. Tomorrow is a big rugby day over here Ireland v New Zealand in the Autumn internationals and we either give them a good game with a slight chance of winning or they destroy us and its back to the drawing board. There will be no nails left regardless.
Good result!
Old 11-13-2021, 12:28 PM
  # 78 (permalink)  

Lovely idea that stick library 🐕. Well a great day here Ireland won the match and beat the All Blacks. I've eaten all my nails it was so nerve wrecking, a pulsating clash by 2 great teams determined to win and followed by a lovely meal out with my wife a great end to the day. Enjoy the rest of the weekend everyone.
Old 11-13-2021, 12:39 PM
  # 79 (permalink)  

Just a quick hello on a quiet Saturday night I'm relaxing while watching football on TV. As much as I used to like going out on a Saturday night many years ago (before all the problems with drinking started) I now thoroughly enjoy just chilling out with a takeaway meal and a nice cup of tea!
Old 11-13-2021, 12:44 PM
  # 80 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Yes, you have to pay between 10am and 5pm, simple as that, even if you get there before 10am. The interface with the app you have to download is truly moronic. Use the online method not the phone number which uses voice activation software that does not understand my or most other people's accent.

As Caramel mentioned there is already a small airport at the old London docks that uses medium size turbo prop (propeller) planes for the short runway. I guess they might be able to use some of that temporarily as the base of a race track with a suitable new surface.

That stick library is GENIUS.!