SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   When the wind blows how strong are your roots - Weekenders 12 - 15 November 2021 (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/456206-when-wind-blows-how-strong-your-roots-weekenders-12-15-november-2021-a.html)

Mags1 11-10-2021 08:04 PM

When the wind blows how strong are your roots - Weekenders 12 - 15 November 2021

Welcome to the Weekenders :wave:

When the wind blows how strong are your roots? This thought came to me and I thought of my sobriety recovery in the same sense.

Trees with short, dead or rotted roots, or not planted and watered correctly, may not withstand a battering from a storm.

Knowing how to care for a tree, beginning with planting its roots, will surely give it a chance to grow and blossom.

Likewise, I see the roots of the tree are similar to my tools for helping me in my growth of sobriety recovery.

By helping our roots to grow stronger we will be ensuring our recovery grows to withstand any storms.

If this is your first weekend sober, or many, come join us for support and chat...as we know the weekends can be a struggle sometimes. (We’re here all week too!) :)

We also share bits and pieces of our lives and the things that are important to us, or make us laugh..anything that makes the journey a little easier.

CaptainHaddock 11-10-2021 08:15 PM

Thanks Mags, and as it’s been a while I’ll take shotgun! :) The tree root analogy appeals to me.

Having a real busy time at work but hope to start posting a bit more regularly soon.

Greetings and best wishes to all.

Alysheba 11-10-2021 08:17 PM

Thank you, Mags! :thanks

Hi Captain! :wavey:

Mags1 11-10-2021 08:26 PM

Hi CaptainHaddock congratulations on shotgun :c011: pleased you’re ok.

Hiya Aly. :wave:

least 11-10-2021 09:03 PM

I remember learning a long time ago that the drip line (where the tree's outer leaves ended) was approximately where the roots ended. That it was a similar distance from the trunk of the tree. That makes sense to me. :)

I'm in for the weekend. :) I have a 'blank' day today. Nothing on my calendar except to go to the store and exchange two things that are the wrong size. Other than that, I can take it easy. :)

KTB5000 11-10-2021 09:03 PM

Thanks Mags, this bit of wisdom is right on time for me.

Makes sense beautifully ❤

Dee74 11-10-2021 09:05 PM

thanks Mags :)

D

Kaily 11-10-2021 10:02 PM

Thanks Mags. I think my roots are very shallow.

Thanks for the tag MLD. I haven't been posting here as I felt I was being too needy and becoming a drain on people.

I really do need a dumping ground somewhere, I'm not sure here is the right place.

On a brighter note - an Autumnal walk with my little friends.

https://i.postimg.cc/bwrTHcCC/IMG-20...115027-690.jpg

Mags1 11-10-2021 10:06 PM

Ah good to see you Kaily. Aww lovely photo. Here is the right place if you’re comfortable with talking here.
Missed you xx :hug: let’s get them roots deeper. Xx

Free2bme888 11-10-2021 10:10 PM

Thanks Mags!

im in.

good night

Alysheba 11-10-2021 10:20 PM

There she is! Good to see you Kaily. Hope all is well. :fest30:

saoutchik 11-10-2021 11:49 PM

lN!

Thanks for the new thread Mags!

Welcome to Weekenders KTB5000!

Congratulations on shotgun CaptainHaddock!

You're not a drain Kaily. We understand things are tough.

I'm a bit rushed this morning so I'll post again later when I have more time.

Dee74 11-11-2021 12:00 AM

Never a drain Kaily - these threads are about support - sometimes we give it and sometimes we receive it - it's all good :)

D

Reid82 11-11-2021 02:50 AM

Thanks Mags, I'm in for this sober weekend. I'm going to London for a holiday just for the weekend tomorrow, my first holiday in over 26 months now!

Canadian Koala 11-11-2021 03:09 AM

Thanks for this new chapter Mags https://www.smiley-lol.com/smiley/lo...chapeaubas.gif

Count me in for another sober weekend ☼

Cityboy 11-11-2021 03:10 AM

Reid, hope you have a nice holiday.

Kaily, the ducks look they are wondering where their bits of bread are, daisy looks eager to chase them if they were on the land. I think it can be a bit therapeutic to hear others unload sometimes as it lets me know I'm not the only one with problems.

Heading to the dealership with my work truck this morning for a seat belt related recall and to address a couple of things that should be covered under the warranty. I remember a weekender having a bad experience at the dealership recently (MLD?).

dustyfox 11-11-2021 03:31 AM

I love the Tree analogy Mags - what a useful way to think about our sobriety! Really beautiful, thank you for such thought provoking images.
Kaily I loved your riverside autumn walk picture, your little friends look so adorable!
This is a quick snap from my walk this morning, as I passed my local Church - the changing colours were gorgeous.
Mag's post made me think again about trees at the time of year; we also go through many change, as we journey through sobriety, each season of growth different to the last, the old making way for the new, but the new only possible because of what came before, but each in it's own way vital to the life of the tree. May all our roots grown deeper this weekend.
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/_j...-no?authuser=0

AL48 11-11-2021 04:03 AM

Thankyou Mags a lovely post to start the weekend
Speaking of trees the most magnificent I've ever seen was the sequoia in Yosemite many moons ago while on holiday (vacation). I drove there especially to see them as it was on the bucketlist as well as the scenery of course but there's something unreal about them, their size is one thing but the length of time alive. I am still in awe to think historically what has happened from seed to the gigantic specimen that stands there now.
Otherwise hope you are all having a great day.

Icandothis2013 11-11-2021 04:27 AM

I’m in for the weekend ! Day 14 here I think ..( I’m losing count! ). My roots are feeling strong …( but mustn’t get complacent ! )
S

CBS62 11-11-2021 06:03 AM

Thanks Mags. I am in. I love your analogy. And to take it a step further trees do even better when they have others to rely on. Trees communicate with each other and share resources just like we do here on SR!