Notices

The time is now

Old 11-05-2021, 07:22 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Quality ice cream is my nuclear approach to strong cravings—works every time for me better than anything else.

Happy birthday 1stepup! This is the beginning of your sober life, and you are not only going to have a degree but a whole new you—what about getting yourself a nice present for school or future career with the money you are saving not drinking?
Old 11-05-2021, 07:28 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

oh...by the way....I never had 'just 4 beers' ever in my life

just sayin'...

Happy Birthday... eat cake
Old 11-05-2021, 07:36 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Happy Birthday!
The best gift you can give yourself is the gift of sobriety.
You can change your life. It will be amazing!
Old 11-05-2021, 06:13 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Administrator

Many happy returns man - how are you doing?

D
Old 11-05-2021, 06:33 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Happy Birthday! Keep it sober and it'll be a good one.
Old 11-05-2021, 06:44 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Hope you had a nice birthday. You can do this!! You will see a whole new world open up. As for the anxiety, go to your Dr. I have dealt with that for many years and dragged my heels before mentioning it to my Dr. He/She may have some ideas to help you out. I wish you the very best and remember you are stronger then you realize.
Old 11-11-2021, 09:07 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Well, my birthday went ok until the evening and I couldn't bear the cravings and gave in to them.. Drank around 6-8 cans each evening this last week. I've managed to not drink any alcohol now for 24hrs and know this is a window of opportunity that I must cling on to. I've eaten today, plenty of water, reached out to AA friends and read first few chapters of big book. Managed somehow to do an exam in uni on Monday and did ok- but nowhere near as well as I could have done clear headed. I'm back in tomorrow and dreading it as I've fallen behind in the module I'm due in for. Theres a 3 hour gap between lectures/workshops too and in the past that's when I've gone to pub to have a 'couple of drinks' to chill out but of course- I never made it to the evening workshop as I couldn't stop drinking... Determined for that to not happen tomorrow but know it wont be easy, plan to go to the library instead and try and catch up on the work I've fallen behind with... I don't want or feel like drinking tonight and am grateful for that but know how quickly that thought can come in so know I not out of the woods as yet. I'd forgotten just how much of a tightrope walk the first few days are....
Old 11-11-2021, 11:03 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Sorry to be reading this, 1s.

You now know you need a way of dealing with cravings. It always baffles me how people who relapse often have such a large quantity of alcohol within easy reach. It seems fairly easy to put a barrier there to make alcohol slightly less accessible, but that’s not the main issue here. Cravings don’t last for hours, even with those who’ve just quit. You need a distraction, something away from studying, to occupy your mind in the evening to divert from the cravings.

Old 11-11-2021, 12:30 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Administrator

Keep reaching out to all your supports 1step - you can do this

D