Notices

Back to day 1

Old 11-03-2021, 08:41 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

That’s where you used to mess up, not anymore!❤️
Old 11-04-2021, 12:11 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Khorhey View Post
I have a stupid question. If I tapered off beer and had a 12 ounce beer 2 days in a row can I count those days.
That would require redefining "recovery" in a highly idiosyncratic way so that it accommodates the needs of your AV.
Old 11-04-2021, 06:59 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Delilah1 View Post
That’s where you used to mess up, not anymore!❤️
Thank you!

Just checking in. I know I can and will make this change forever. Getting back to the grind. Although I have a cold now :/ but I’d rather be sober with a cold than drunk with a cold
Old 11-04-2021, 07:25 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

but the more meetings I go to, the less I want to drink.

So you have real data on a behavior that helps you stay sober.

​​​​​​​So why don't you engage in this behavior, much more often?
Old 11-04-2021, 07:35 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Zebra1275 View Post
but the more meetings I go to, the less I want to drink.

So you have real data on a behavior that helps you stay sober.

So why don't you engage in this behavior, much more often?
I plan too Can’t go today though because I’m sick but will listen online
Old 11-04-2021, 04:48 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Feel better Jillian! For a cold, I enjoy hot water with honey, cayenne pepper and lemon to blast those germs and open my sinuses.
Old 11-07-2021, 09:43 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I’ve got to stop this madness. My life and mental health depends on it. How do I get the momentum back? Ugh.
Old 11-07-2021, 12:40 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Administrator

It’s starts with a day one..hour by hour, minute by minute if needed, Jillian.
There is support here – you’re not alone
Old 11-07-2021, 01:11 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
It’s starts with a day one..hour by hour, minute by minute if needed, Jillian.
There is support here – you’re not alone
Thank you. I’m feeling especially drained today. Luckily my SIL spent the day with me at my house since hubby and older son went riding dirt bikes. I know what needs to be done. I just hate that I’m back here. Those 60 days were so great. I’m not sure why I ever decided to give drinking another try. I hate that alcohol is all I think about even when I do t want to drink. I’m so tired of this. I just wish I was a normal person who never drank alcohol. I want to feel how non drinkers feel. Like it does t even exist or bother me that I don’t drink. Is that even possible? I feel like it’s not at this point. It’s driving me mad.
Old 11-07-2021, 02:10 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think its possible. The first weeks are hard but you know already it gets better.
you can get to 60 days again and beyond.

I suspect it takes a little more sustained effort for us than it does someone who's never been a drinker, but you can get to a point where 'not drinking' is a programme always running in the background of your operating system

D
Old 11-07-2021, 05:21 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by Jillian2563 View Post
I want to feel how non drinkers feel. Like it does t even exist or bother me that I don’t drink. Is that even possible?
Yes, it's possible. You get there by not drinking. I am not trying to be facetious. If you want to be a non-drinker, you don't drink. Period. You don't look at sobriety as a punishment. You don't romanticize booze. You don't run to alcohol to enhance your life or smother your discomfort. It takes time for not drinking to feel normal. More than 60 days. For me it took a few years. And until that day when I finally felt like a non-drinker, I build a sober life, day by day, brick by brick.
Old 11-07-2021, 06:18 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
nez

I want to feel how non drinkers feel. Like it does t even exist or bother me that I don’t drink. Is that even possible?
To echo doggonecarl, yes it is possible; it has happened for me. It didn't happen overnight and it took work, but then my 24/7 drinking didn't happen overnight either. It took 30 years to get to that point. It took me a lot less than 30 years of recovery to get to the point I am today. Yes it was work, but all I can say is that it was worth every ounce of blood, sweat, and tears that I put into it and the rewards are real. I finally have my life back and it is even better than my wildest dreams! I AM FREE!!!

It is possible. It is available to you. And you can do this!

Old 11-07-2021, 06:20 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I started practicing gratitude every day a few months into my sobriety. Doing that drove out the desire to drink. I'm just a non drinker now. The thought of drinking repulses me.

Like Carl said, it takes a while. Things will get better, little by little, but one day you'll realize you feel a lot better.
Old 11-07-2021, 06:43 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Administrator

Jillian, you can get back to sobriety and it will get easier. It takes a little time before you feel comfortable with not drinking. I know, at first, it seems like it will never feel normal, but each day of sobriety gets you closer to living the sober life that you want.
Old 11-07-2021, 10:02 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

You can do this Jillian!
Old 11-08-2021, 05:36 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by doggonecarl View Post
Yes, it's possible. You get there by not drinking. I am not trying to be facetious. If you want to be a non-drinker, you don't drink. Period. You don't look at sobriety as a punishment. You don't romanticize booze. You don't run to alcohol to enhance your life or smother your discomfort. It takes time for not drinking to feel normal. More than 60 days. For me it took a few years. And until that day when I finally felt like a non-drinker, I build a sober life, day by day, brick by brick.
I don’t want to drink. But then there are days that all I’m thinking about is drinking even when I don’t want to drink. The first 60 days not so much, because I had endured so much pain that I didn’t want to go back. But then I guess I “woke the beast” because I’m right back to dealing with the cognitive dissonance. It’s so exhausting.
Old 11-08-2021, 07:30 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Sobriety is not linear and it does take time to get there. Its not a one and done. At least it was not for me and I am for certain it was not that way with a lot of people who struggle with addiction. For me, even though I wanted to be sober, and I truly knew that I had a serious issue, it took a lot of attempts and a lot of setbacks. It was utterly exhausting.

People can suggest and support and give all the pointers in the world but it comes down to the individual and how they will implement, own and recover. The first few months may be a breeze for people and then it becomes a bit harder for some. Once the alcohol is removed then what? A hole exists. Fill the hole, the void, with life affirming activities. life affirming thoughts. Set goals. Reach those goals. Set more goals. Every single day is a new day for new challenges and new ways of thinking. Every single day is a new day to commit to sobriety. Each new day is a day to reach your goals and to reach your highest potential. You will get there. Keep on moving forward.