Notices

Magic Mushrooms

Old 10-22-2021, 11:45 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Magic Mushrooms

I'm 22 months sober from alcohol.

Today, my partner sent me a message saying he was going out looking for Magic Mushroom with a friend. Honestly, he's 48 and I think it's ridiculous.

BUT, I want to try them so bad. The first thing that comes up on google is they're non-addictive. I don't believe that but there's a part of me that's saying just once.

I really want this knocked out of my head. Is there anyone who can share how they became addicted? or what it did to them? I want the BAD stuff.

Thank You!
Old 10-22-2021, 11:54 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

You stopped alcohol 22 months ago, so you probably know how you become addicted. One component is that your brain lies to you and tells you that it's okay. Just step away and move on. Distract yourself and do whatever you need to do to move on. Congratulations on your 22 months of recovery.
Old 10-22-2021, 11:54 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

When I was a kid in Florida we used to go out and find them.

They're a strong hallucinogen. I know my ex became infatuated with them and was doing them every day, I tried them a couple times and decided it was not for me.

Just be really careful if you do decide to try them, it's easy to pick a wrong mushroom. It's possible to get really sick. I found nausea is part of the regular "trip" and I didn't like that at all.

Today there is no way on God's green planet I'd do them, but I don't do any mind-altering drugs other than caffeine and I'd like to go to my grave that way, TYVM.
Old 10-22-2021, 12:03 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

If a part of me were craving a drug-induced, hallucinatory experience - I'd chalk it up as my AV being extra vocal and annoying and forget about it. I'm not saying they may not have medicinal value for some people with severe PTSD or depression etc., but if you're seeking them out for a thrill ride or life-changing experience etc... I might examine why. Addiction has funny ways of creeping back into someone's life, and sometimes it starts with a nudging suggestion or vague desire.

My advice? Don't give your AV that oxygen.
Old 10-22-2021, 12:15 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'm not going to advise which you you should go, but think you could be setting yourself up for a 'bad trip' if you enter into your experiment with reservations. 👻

On second thoughts, probably better if you just say, No.
Old 10-22-2021, 12:41 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I know a musician buddy who does mushrooms.
Last time he did he ended up walking home along the motorway in the middle of the night…he has a million stories like that.

he’s tripping he also likes to drink and smoke pot cos may as well get as high as you can, right?

Its not a good idea for anyone in recovery or a recovery site IMO.

That AV will get you anyway it can.

D
Old 10-22-2021, 12:43 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Samantha

A non addicted drug eh? Personally have never been tempted, but in high school there was kids who did them lol.
I have heard of people having bad trips but I'm not sure how often that happens ? It happens on family guy, haha
Old 10-22-2021, 12:47 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I tried different species in my mid-20s. Not as party drugs but carefully planned and executed investigations, a few times with a friend and a couple more on my own. I loved the experiences even though they were not purely good. Beautiful and I gained a lot of insights that served me well in several important decisions in years to come. I never felt they were addictive, that I could not moderate the quantity beyond a normal dose, or that I wanted to use them frequently. It was a total of 6-7 occasions within about two years, spaced months apart. I felt satisfied then and never used them since. Maybe worthwhile to mention that the period of trying these, and the year after, was the only time I did not drink alcohol since I was 15. I would like to try again at some point. I need to mention though that, unlike many people here, I don't have any experience with recovery from my actual addiction (alcohol) yet, but I think those mushrooms were very different. I know they are now being explored for mental health benefits by serious researchers and clinicians, but not recommended for people with certain mental illnesses.
Old 10-22-2021, 01:02 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I feel pressure because my partner wants to do it too. We just talked and he’s encouraging it… just a little bit he says. He wants me to so he can have the green light. Neither of us have ever tried it.

Also I think about people who’ve had a life changing cathartic experience so I’m intrigued.

year 2 is supposed to be about balance and giving up nicorette. I’m close.

In year 3 I’m planning 30 days without weed (smoked daily since age 23, I’m 47). I will be taking a month off work.

what scares me is Im just as addicted to weed as I was alcohol. So if I like mushrooms my plans could be ruined with another addiction I guess.
Old 10-22-2021, 01:03 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I did them a few times decades ago. First time no effect, second time hysterical laughter. That was all.

This could go a couple ways.

1) You take them, it's fun or interesting, but utimately not a big deal.

2) You take them and through the power of rationalization, it unleashes your AV. You have a beer or two, either during, or maybe even a week later. Then it's back to the races.

Edit - I just saw your prior post about weed. Didn't know you still smoked, so all bets are off.

I no longer enjoy any significant mind altering effects, but some do. I would urge caution. I would also reject your husband's need for you to join in. That's BS to put someone else's recovery at risk in order to experiment without guilt..
Old 10-22-2021, 01:44 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

I would also reject your husband's need for you to join in. That's BS to put someone else's recovery at risk in order to experiment without guilt..
^^^^^This!!!!^^^^^
Old 10-22-2021, 01:53 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

In my partners defence, he could just have gone and done it without telling me anything.

he knows that if he were to do that without me knowing I’d lose my mind. And it’s true, I can’t handle the thought of him doing anything like that without me doing it too.

25 years of codependency is hard to break.
Old 10-22-2021, 02:43 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

...but not impossible. If co-dependency is an issue with the pot smoking too maybe you need to talk to someone professionally about that?

I strongly recommend you go for gold and quit pot this year not next - the longer you put off quitting, the harder its going to get, and the more likelihood there is of bad decisions, like adding other things like shrooms to the mix.

D
Old 10-22-2021, 03:21 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

It sometimes happens (bad trip) in real life too, anxiousrock. Not just on Family Guy lol

I met a bloke on a bus once, got talking. He was a bit of an old hippie lived with his parents still. He asked me back to his house (parents home) and when I went into his bedroom it was completely frozen in timewarp from the '70's. He was fried from lSD. I don't know if he had a bad trip or not, but it didn't finish up well.

I've tried them a few times, as with most drugs, always glad when it was over. Why start?

I'm interested still, in the therapeutic use, and watching trials with interest.
Old 10-22-2021, 03:27 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Tried them once, had a horrific experience, with terrifying flashbacks that plagued me for years. I came away from the experience with the belief that the mind is a pretty fragile thing.

Old 10-22-2021, 03:45 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I agree with Carl. It's too risky for a very remote chance of enlightenment. The brain is easily fried. Why not do it the old fashioned way, with meditation? Meditation has changed me and given me more insight and clarity than any drug ever could. Now I am thinking about an old love of mine who enjoyed hallucinogens. He was also an alcoholic and addicted to weed. Those things did not mesh well for him He is so deep in his alcoholism and now an addiction to synthetic weed and god knows what else that I honestly don't think he'll ever recover. I think he crossed that line. Don't take a chance on crossing the line, Sober45. You don't know which drink or what drug will be the thing that triggers no going back. Don't take the risk.
Old 10-22-2021, 03:49 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I don't understand why this would be a good idea.

I smoked a lot of pot in the 1970's and when I quit, I doubled down on my alcohol consumption. For me, to try a new "mind altering" substance would be a bad idea, and I would be very afraid of falling into the addiction abyss. The problem would be my addictive brain, not the mushrooms.
Old 10-22-2021, 03:59 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I think I "crossed the line" Patcha, and reason why I don't want to step back.
Old 10-22-2021, 04:05 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Thanks so much for all the replies. If I ever do them it’ll be under the guidance of a psychiatrist. And that won’t be any time soon.

meditation, yes, that’s the direction i need to move in.

I actually feel really good about myself these days so I’ll keep working my plan. Onward!
Old 10-22-2021, 04:06 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I took them along time ago, I mean when I was a teenager - the horror of the bad trip has lived with me ever since- it was horrible and terrifying.
If your partner takes them they need you to be there, sober, to help if it goes wrong.