Notices

Magic Mushrooms

Old 10-22-2021, 04:15 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I went back to that blokes' place when I was drinking. It all worked out fine, but not recommended. Poor hippie fried boy. A total gentleman.

Good decision Sober45. 🌺
Old 10-22-2021, 06:26 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

My take on this topic is that doing any drug for recreational purposes is a bad idea. A friend of mine and her husband did mushrooms some years back. She'd never done them, he had. She was a happy, upbeat, optimistic young woman. After doing mushrooms once, she suffered a nervous breakdown. She then became anxious, paranoid, distrusting, and frightened. It was like she literally became another person overnight. I really don't understand the point in altering one's sense of reality. The obvious outcome is unreality, illusory, artificial.
Old 10-22-2021, 07:33 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I did a lot of shrooms, relatively speaking, a long time ago now.

And, I have different priorities now. I spent so much time altering my brain. I’m more focused now on experiencing what is, rather than what isn’t.

And I have to drop this joke - was 2020 not enough of a trip? I jest but really… if you haven’t tripped before, it really does resemble 2020 in many ways, at least, from my experience. I am 100% positive I said at some point about a year ago that the world was resembling a trip for a while there, and to some extent still is.

I will tell you that I have a big scar between my eyes from the last time I did mushrooms, which was just under 25 years ago. I remember the sound of my head hitting a bathroom sink on my way down to the floor. It echoed. My brain perceived it somewhat passively. I came to with blood everywhere. The scar gives me a look like I’m permanently quizzical. It’s literally a crooked line between my eyebrows.

I’m completely supportive and in favor of transcendent experiences, spiritual seeking and reflection, and inner work. I know there isn’t just one way, that it looks different for all of us. I do very much doubt that shrooms are the way for someone in recovery. And if the impulse is rooted in any way in the euphoria side effect of this powerful medicine, then what you’re seeking is to get high.

I recommend an alternative: portobellos, sautéed with garlic.
Old 10-23-2021, 04:18 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Reality isn't always great, but when I'm in the mountains, especially by myself sitting by a mountain lake in a glacial cirque, I've had tranquil moments of deep awe and appreciation that are often even giddy, and there is never a risk of a bad trip. I don't want to get all down on mushrooms and altered reality, but the fact is, I like real reality. It seems to me that achieving fake highs with chemicals are child's play, but somewhat like playing with matches. We are all different, but I like my way better.
Old 10-23-2021, 05:26 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

We used to pick them in Scotland and take them in tea or make cookies out of them.. I always enjoyed it, does crazy things with your mind and you can see why the ancients probably used them in shamanic rituals, etc. I saw it as a one off experience, not something that was done often. I don't think that they can be equivalated with alcohol but that's just an opinion. Consuming them is risky behaviour and that is something we should be trying to avoid in recovery.
Old 10-23-2021, 05:35 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Administrator

Seeing as the OP has reached a decision, I think we’ve kicked this one around enough.
Thanks,

Thread closed.

Dee
Administrator
SR