Notices

Steps to take

Old 10-20-2021, 01:15 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Steps to take

I am in desperate help.
I have tried everything.

husband drinks at least a 6 pack everynight.
long story short, I've sought counselling and followed the steps they gave me, I.managed to get him to the gp as its an underlying depression that is making him turn to alcohol. He was prescribed tablets and offered counselling.
Thats as far as it got. He wknt take the tablets unless I put them in front of him.

I guess I'm asking, in your experienced, what has worked for you ?
What have you done that has successfully made your partner realise the damage they are doing and seek support ?
Old 10-20-2021, 01:47 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Beckyboo and welcome

I’m really sorry for what brings you here but this is the place of great support.

Unfortunately though the alcoholic needs to want to quit for themselves.

Thats not to say there is no hope, but if you try and ‘make’ some one stop drinking, it usually doesn’t work out that well.

Have you thought of support for yourself though - AlAnon perhaps?
I also recommend you check out our family and friends forum, for more help, advice, and support.

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...ly-alcoholics/

D

Old 10-20-2021, 03:02 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Welcome Beckyboo, sorry to hear of your situation. My personal experiece as an alcoholic is that there really was nothing my spouse could have done to get me to stop drinking, I had to make the choice for myself. Addiction is a very selfish thing, and I personally chose drinking over everything else for many years. I was fortunate enough that I didn't damage my relationship so badly that my wife and family left me, but it has taken me a very long time to regain their trust. This is not to say that it's impossible for your husband to recover, but you do need to prepare yourself for the possibility that he never will, because that can and does happen.

We do have a friends and family forum here too that you may want to check out, but the newcomers forum is open to all. I think there you will find many who have been in, or are currently in a similar situation and can share.
Old 10-20-2021, 05:28 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Becky, I'm sorry for your situation and I understand how frustrated you must be. Sadly, as others have said, there is little you can do to convince your spouse to stop drinking. I hope that he will decide himself to change his life.

I hope that you take care of yourself and check out the Friends & Families forum and/or AlAnon in your city.