Notices

Books webpages or posts

Old 10-14-2021, 02:57 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Books webpages or posts

Can anyone recommend a good book or website or post etc that explains scientifically the damage alcohol does to your body (all of it not just the brain) and also explains how your body heals after we stop drinking?

so I’m thinking like after a week sober w repairs
a month sober x repairs
three months sober y repairs
six months sober z repairs

that sort of thing

im thinking maybe science facts but if anyone has any behavioural things or things they noticed from their own journey I would be interested to read also.

Much love LH
Old 10-14-2021, 05:22 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Of course everyone is different but for me by 3 months, maybe a little sooner, my eyes were clear, bloating was pretty much gone, sleep was great, energy was up and generally just felt good physically.
Now almost 2 years later, my pants have all gotten too big. I am a thin guy to start with and I weigh about the same as when I quit but it's getting to be mostly muscle. Well as much as a slim 52 yo man can have.
I do not work out much but I do a lot of strenuous activities. Always have but I think my body can now focus on building itself up instead of just trying to repair the damage from constant poisoning.
My joints rarely flare up anymore. Used to think I had bad knees, shoulders, back etc. Quit drinking and now they are about as good as they can be for a 52yo kid.

As far as what does it damage? We all know that answer. Everything
Old 10-14-2021, 05:56 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

These two books are quite good at the scientific side of addiction although both are now dated.

Under the Influence: A Guide to the Myths and Realities of Alcoholism
by James Robert Milam and Katherine Ketcham.

Beyond the Influence: Understanding and Defeating Alcoholism
by Katherine Ketcham , William F. Asbury, et al.

D

Old 10-15-2021, 02:07 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks fishkiller and Dee. Dee I will be sure to check those books out. Most likely I will purchase one of them.

Many thanks LH
Old 10-15-2021, 02:23 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Dee I’ve just bought “under the influence”, many thanks LH
Old 10-15-2021, 02:27 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hope it helps answer some of your questions

D
Old 10-15-2021, 02:43 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

This Naked Mind I’ve heard is a good book to understand the effects of alcohol on your brain, specifically your unconscious and conscious mind.

ive read the sample so far and I’m listening to the audio book today on a road trip. I’m a neuroscience nerd but I definitely have enjoyed the sample and the author has a nice community with what she calls live alcohol experiments where people can join in to stop drinking alcohol for 30 days and connects you with coaches and other people trying out staying away from drinking. I think it’s free. I haven’t tried one of the alcohol experiments, but this naked mind podcast is one of my top recovery podcasts. There’s new episodes every week of people sharing their sober journey.

Hearing other people’s stories is one of my tools to stay sober and has helped me tremendously with the shame, guilt, and feelings of isolation I’ve had.
Old 10-16-2021, 04:27 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LeadHatter View Post
Dee I’ve just bought “under the influence”, many thanks LH
It was the first book on alcoholism that I read 25 years ago. I wanted to read it again, and I've been trying to remember the name until yesterday. It was loaned to me and I had to give it back, so I just ordered a used copy from ebay. It spends a lot of time explaining the actual biology of alcoholism, which I found helpful in evaluating the recovery philosophies that I was exposed to later.