Notices

What I've Noticed

Old 10-11-2021, 08:35 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What I've Noticed

Today is my 9th day of sobriety and even though I've been here before, this feels different...permanent.

I've been noticing some things about being sober and I am keeping a list of pros and cons. Here's what I have so far in no particular order:

Pros1. No alcohol cravings at all
2. My "allergies" are gone! Aparently, most of my allergies are alcohol related. Who would have thought?
3. Money saved. I would typically purchase 2 or 3 single shots for $2 or $3 dollars a day. I could get 2 shots of vodka for $1 in most stores.
But, this leads to the next savings.
4. Money saved by not purchasing snacks, fast food or something else my loopy self would mindlessly eat. Which leads to...
5. No overeating. I would wake fro my "nap" and have empty plates with very vague memories of eating the food. Which leads to...
6. Weight loss. Less alcohol and food is resulting in weight loss. Not much but slowly changing to the way I ate when I was healthy is becoming the norm.
7. I am reclaiming my "nap" time. I would typically use alcohol to make me nap, which would be anywhere from 2 - 4 hours. I was useless when I woke. Dee gave a name to this, but I don't recall it at the moment.
8. My OCD is back. I wasn't sure if this was a pro or con because it's not debilitating...it keeps me on my toes so I'm putting this in the "pros" list.

Cons

1. I get easily irritated. That is truly all I can think of for a con due to my sobriety.

Does anyone else have a similar list? Would you be willing to share?

❤️
Old 10-11-2021, 09:52 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

(Hey lovely Gram.....you can PM Anna or Dee to move the thread for you, but for now, if you want, you can copy your post and start again in Newcomers and Dee or Anna can get rid of the duplicate later. xx)

And I LOVE this thread!!!! ❤️
Old 10-11-2021, 10:08 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi Gram - I love the idea of this thread, too.

My pros list is similar to yours - except for the OCD.
Pro - becoming aware of things I needed to fix, both at work & with relationships. (I guess that was a con that turned into a pro.) I'd been numb & in lala land far too long.
Pro - Not having to worry about driving.
Pro - Not having to use eye drops, perfume, mouthwash & mints to mask my drinking.
Con - I was very jumpy & short-tempered the first few days - but I'd been drinking 24/7 for a long time.
I also had a brief period of FOMO & feeling resentful that I couldn't have "fun" the way I once did. Of course, that was ridiculous. Drinking was no longer fun, but a necessity.

Great to have you with us, Gram.

Old 10-11-2021, 10:40 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Great job on nine days, Gram Cracker.

It might sound like waffle but I have no cons for the list.
I would be dead if I had continued drinking like I did every day.
Old 10-11-2021, 07:16 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I agree with RecklessErik in that I can't think of a con either. My last time drinking was my final acceptance that if I continued, I would die. I live with the scar on my face, a TBI, and the grace in my heart to continue to share my experience, strength, and hope.
Old 10-12-2021, 12:57 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Say cheese!

Great job on 9 days crack x great post also x

pros
1 have regular better sleep
2 looking more alert and white eyed
3 saving alot more money to spend on me and loved ones and friends
4 getting out and meeting new people even though the con is anxiety which im working on
5 did i say sleep? sleep in underated, i cant get enough of it, i just makes sure im not sleeping to escape
6 losing weight again have to watch i dont control and limit my intake
7 being observant and alert and making better conversation when i can. thats when im not nervous
8 have a load more time for things i missed while laying about hungover and vegging
9 better relationships with family and friends
10 learning to be kind and like myself more and generaly more grateful of what i have
11 to be able to live in the moment and live my life

cons as usual my mood swings but hey ho x
I never thought i could write a list like this, so thanks for starting this xx
Old 10-12-2021, 01:19 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

9 days is great GC, I can't remember any term I used tho, if it was me...but yeah that drunken sleep was more passing out than sleep.

Then BANG I was wide awake at 3am or some other ridiculous time, full of fear and loathing.

I've not missed that even once

D
Old 10-12-2021, 05:07 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I recall a sense of euphoria in the first two weeks sober. I felt like I could do anything. Once I broke through the fevers, night sweats, nightmares, insomnia and shaking anxiety — it was like I was reborn. Of course, that sober “high” faded. An early “con” for me is that I wanted full recovery of health and relationships *now,* but I still had a lot of work and healing to do .
Old 10-12-2021, 05:26 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

It sounds like you have a lot of pros on your list, which is great. I absolutely agree with you. Even though sobriety is not always easy, there are far more pros than cons.
Old 10-12-2021, 06:41 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by venuscat View Post
(Hey lovely Gram.....you can PM Anna or Dee to move the thread for you, but for now, if you want, you can copy your post and start again in Newcomers and Dee or Anna can get rid of the duplicate later. xx)

And I LOVE this thread!!!! ❤️
Thanks Suze...someone heard my despair and already moved it!
Old 10-12-2021, 06:44 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hevyn View Post
Hi Gram - I love the idea of this thread, too.

My pros list is similar to yours - except for the OCD.
Pro - becoming aware of things I needed to fix, both at work & with relationships. (I guess that was a con that turned into a pro.) I'd been numb & in lala land far too long.
Pro - Not having to worry about driving.
Pro - Not having to use eye drops, perfume, mouthwash & mints to mask my drinking.
Con - I was very jumpy & short-tempered the first few days - but I'd been drinking 24/7 for a long time.
I also had a brief period of FOMO & feeling resentful that I couldn't have "fun" the way I once did. Of course, that was ridiculous. Drinking was no longer fun, but a necessity.

Great to have you with us, Gram.
Thank you for joining in. I have more to add to my list as my sobriety progresses!

Old 10-12-2021, 06:46 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by RecklessEric View Post
Great job on nine days, Gram Cracker.

It might sound like waffle but I have no cons for the list.
I would be dead if I had continued drinking like I did every day.

Yes, you are so right.

I'm not familiar with the phrase "sound like waffle" but I love it :-)
Old 10-12-2021, 06:52 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
9 days is great GC, I can't remember any term I used tho, if it was me...but yeah that drunken sleep was more passing out than sleep.

Then BANG I was wide awake at 3am or some other ridiculous time, full of fear and loathing.

I've not missed that even once

D
Thank you,Dee!
Yes, fear and loathing in the middle of the night is awful. Sober sleep is the best! zzzzzzz
Old 10-12-2021, 06:56 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Two more pros and a con:

Pros:
Greatly decreased arthritis pain
No migraines

Con:
Gut issues. Always feeling full. I'm worried I may have permanent damage...
Old 10-12-2021, 07:02 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

FYI - Since I'm typing with my left hand (broken dominant right arm - it's worse than I originally thought) and in quite a bit of pain, I may not be able to reply to everyone. I'm not dissing you...just trying to minimize movement. A "thanks" is heartfelt and sincere!
Old 10-12-2021, 07:54 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GramCracker25 View Post
Two more pros and a con:

Pros:
Greatly decreased arthritis pain
No migraines

Con:
Gut issues. Always feeling full. I'm worried I may have permanent damage...
On the “permanent damage” worry, I had that too. I was so bloated, it took a long time for the liver pain to go away. What can help tremendously is going to your doctor and coming clean. Tell them about your history of drinking, detox, and commitment to sobriety. Get some bloodwork. Even if there’s things to address, you’ll feel so much better!

I encourage this because I had many relapses due to paralyzing health anxiety. Better to get a baseline now.

Today my blood work is pristine. I no longer have high blood pressure. I gave a normal liver. My BMI is healthy. Great resting heart rate. My skin issues cleared up. All of those things were out of control before. It’s amazing how the body can heal. It just took time .

Love these posts — keep it up. The first two weeks are often the hardest.
Old 10-13-2021, 09:16 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Great post!
pros-
1) Less anxiety
2) sober sleep is amazing
3) more present and aware
4) better relationship with my son and husband
5) more motivation
6) more self confidant
7) money,
8) not sneaking around thinking I was going to get caught drinking (huge)
9) general feeling of better health and being proud of myself
10) way better skin

Cons-
1) am I ever going to get it right? How many people need to go down with me?
2) sneaking booze
3) anxiety
4) shame
5) blackouts
6) sleeping the day away/ depression
7) feeling of helplessness

I could go on, but the pros always outweigh the cons. I'm only back on day 2, and probably still not in the best headspace, but there is no doubt that life is better without drinking.
Old 10-13-2021, 09:45 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Evoo View Post
I recall a sense of euphoria in the first two weeks sober. I felt like I could do anything. Once I broke through the fevers, night sweats, nightmares, insomnia and shaking anxiety — it was like I was reborn. Of course, that sober “high” faded. An early “con” for me is that I wanted full recovery of health and relationships *now,* but I still had a lot of work and healing to do .
I can relate to every word of this statement, from the 2 week euphoria, to wanting to fix all of the things I've damaged instantly.
Old 10-14-2021, 08:04 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Evoo View Post
On the “permanent damage” worry, I had that too. I was so bloated, it took a long time for the liver pain to go away. What can help tremendously is going to your doctor and coming clean. Tell them about your history of drinking, detox, and commitment to sobriety. Get some bloodwork. Even if there’s things to address, you’ll feel so much better!

I encourage this because I had many relapses due to paralyzing health anxiety. Better to get a baseline now.

Today my blood work is pristine. I no longer have high blood pressure. I gave a normal liver. My BMI is healthy. Great resting heart rate. My skin issues cleared up. All of those things were out of control before. It’s amazing how the body can heal. It just took time .

Love these posts — keep it up. The first two weeks are often the hardest.
Thanks Evoo! I was going to post that my tummy issues seem to be subsiding. Yesterday, For the first time in ages, I felt hungry :-)

I have been totally transparent with my primary care physician and have a physical scheduled next month.

Good job on your health! Is that just from not drinking?
Old 10-14-2021, 08:12 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Backtogood View Post
Great post!
pros-
1) Less anxiety
2) sober sleep is amazing
3) more present and aware
4) better relationship with my son and husband
5) more motivation
6) more self confidant
7) money,
8) not sneaking around thinking I was going to get caught drinking (huge)
9) general feeling of better health and being proud of myself
10) way better skin

Cons-
1) am I ever going to get it right? How many people need to go down with me?
2) sneaking booze
3) anxiety
4) shame
5) blackouts
6) sleeping the day away/ depression
7) feeling of helplessness

I could go on, but the pros always outweigh the cons. I'm only back on day 2, and probably still not in the best headspace, but there is no doubt that life is better without drinking.
Backtogood, I can't even remember the number of times I've tried to quit, and I'm sure many on here will tell you the same. If it wasn't for breaking my arm, I don't know if I would be on day 12. Divine intervention. Never, ever give up!

Your lists have a few thing I'm going to add to mine. Thank you so much for contributing :-)