Notices

Emergency solution

Old 10-14-2021, 07:49 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Emergency solution

I've resorted to giving my bank cards to a friend. I must stay sober at least 30 days and on. I have tried every mental trick possible. I still drink. The way I see it now is that as soon as I can I need to start working the 12 step program. There is no other option for me. I haven't noted the time of the last sip....I just want to make this relapse history.
Old 10-14-2021, 08:11 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I have difficulty going to face to face AA rooms UFS but my imagination of how it would go is that if your ready it would be brilliant for you.
Old 10-14-2021, 08:18 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by UNITE4STRENGTH View Post
I have tried every mental trick possible. I still drink. The way I see it now is that as soon as I can I need to start working the 12 step program. There is no other option for me.
I tried to outsmart my addiction for many years too, but it was not until I accepted it for what it was that I was able to make progress. You can start as soon as you like too. If you've chosen the 12 step path, then i'm sure there are plenty of local meetings today in your area and if not there are online meetings all over the internet and you can also read the big book online at any time. Don't forget there is a 12 step forum here on SR too and of course the newcomers forum is a community of help you can access any time of the day.
Old 10-14-2021, 08:34 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks Scott. My plan is getting back to basics for the first 30 days. Then I will get out to meetings and look for a sponsor.
Old 10-14-2021, 09:27 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I’m not confident in this plan. If you truly want to get sober go immerse yourself in AA now. If I’m wrong about how this next 30 days goes, I’ll eat crow. But I’ve seen this movie before.
Old 10-14-2021, 09:36 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'm with BABM.

Why 30 days and THEN AA?

How 'bout AA now?

You have been struggling way more than is necessary. What is the hold-up? I think the in-with-both-feet-now approach would be the way to go if I couldn't stop on my own.

What about an IOP? Rehab?
Old 10-14-2021, 10:03 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you both, I'll start with the Big Book!
Old 10-14-2021, 10:25 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope you focus on your recovery to get you through the first 30 days of sobriety.
Old 10-14-2021, 10:46 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
I hope you focus on your recovery to get you through the first 30 days of sobriety.
thank you Anna!! I'm going to do something for my recovery each day rather than no action!
Old 10-14-2021, 11:28 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

It's time for you to find the courage to walk in to a meeting right away. You won't regret it!

Good luck, Forwards.
Old 10-14-2021, 12:57 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Originally Posted by UNITE4STRENGTH View Post
I have tried every mental trick possible. I still drink.
Me taking on my AV with mental tricks was like a 4-year-old taking on LeBron James in hoops.
I could never beat that rat by playing the game it had mastered.
I must make it play my game.
It's called 'starve the AV'.

Best of Luck on Your Journey.
Old 10-14-2021, 05:46 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I went to my first meeting on my 3rd day sober. I didn't know what I planned on. At first I couldn't figure out where at the church the meeting was. So I turned around and figured I will go to the liquor store and figure this aa thing out tomorrow. Then a guy late for the meeting saw me and figured I was a newcomer looking for the meeting.

It did not take long. I was in such a bad spot. Tremendous anxiety, my life about to go up in smoke. Once I saw the literature, once I got around people that had gotten well after having this disease. There was hope. I felt such a load come off my shoulders just in that first night. Those early days were so much easier then I thought possible.

In those early days I found 6 meetings a week. I observed and listened and carefully picked out a sponsor in the first few weeks.

Old 10-14-2021, 07:32 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I went to AA the morning of day 2 while in withdrawals. Pale, gaunt, shaking and mentally wiped out. I must have been a mess. When I got my 30 day chip, the group leader said I looked better and described the wrecked state I crawled into the first meeting like. Still hit that home group several times a week. Go now rather than later, the support I got really helped me get over the hump.
Old 10-14-2021, 07:34 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I went to AA the morning of day 2 while in withdrawals. Pale, gaunt, shaking and mentally wiped out. I must have been a mess. When I got my 30 day chip, the group leader said I looked better and described the wrecked state I crawled into the first meeting like. Still hit that home group several times a week. Go now rather than later, the support I got really helped me get over the hump.

Double post.. sorry
Old 10-14-2021, 07:37 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

it was worth repeating
Old 10-14-2021, 10:49 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thanks to everyone for their input here. I'm going to get to a meeting this weekend. I'll carefully select a sponsor. I'm going to read a chapter from the Big Book now. I'll get a couple of chores done. Write a gratitude list. Get out to the supermarket with a friend and today will look like a very successful day in sobriety. Thanks again to everyone for their honesty, encouragement and support.
Old 10-15-2021, 01:15 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

There are no tricks. Just work.
The Most important thing is,

No matter what,
Do Not Drink
Old 10-15-2021, 08:32 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

I am happy to hear that you are planning on hitting meetings sooner rather than later. When you said you were going to get back to basics and THEN go to AA, I was thinking "what's more basic than hitting a meeting?" I'll never forget the feeling I had on day 4 sober when a sober friend took me to my first meeting. I was terrified and I had been resistant to AA (I thought the God stuff wasn't for me), but I felt such a relief and a feeling of... love there, immediately. I didn't think I could say a word or share anything when it was my turn, but I opened my mouth, and cried, and said those words I didn't want to even think about, "I am an alcoholic." That moment changed my life. For me, that was the most basic cornerstone of the foundation of my sobriety - just going to that place and being honest with myself and others for once... priceless. The honesty and sharing has continued for years now. I don't go to meetings often anymore (need to fix that, asap, COVID messed it up) but I credit AA and my sponsor immensely for having made it to almost 7 years sober now. You don't have to love everything about AA to get a lot out of it. "Take what you need and leave the rest" is my mantra when I go.
Old 10-16-2021, 05:07 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

How are you doing, UNITE?
Old 10-16-2021, 09:50 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MLD51 View Post
I am happy to hear that you are planning on hitting meetings sooner rather than later. When you said you were going to get back to basics and THEN go to AA, I was thinking "what's more basic than hitting a meeting?" I'll never forget the feeling I had on day 4 sober when a sober friend took me to my first meeting. I was terrified and I had been resistant to AA (I thought the God stuff wasn't for me), but I felt such a relief and a feeling of... love there, immediately. I didn't think I could say a word or share anything when it was my turn, but I opened my mouth, and cried, and said those words I didn't want to even think about, "I am an alcoholic." That moment changed my life. For me, that was the most basic cornerstone of the foundation of my sobriety - just going to that place and being honest with myself and others for once... priceless. The honesty and sharing has continued for years now. I don't go to meetings often anymore (need to fix that, asap, COVID messed it up) but I credit AA and my sponsor immensely for having made it to almost 7 years sober now. You don't have to love everything about AA to get a lot out of it. "Take what you need and leave the rest" is my mantra when I go.
Hi there. Thank you, good read. More basic is eating and sleeping, that's it. I'll be 3 days in by this afternoon. I'll see what meetings are available today. Thanks again MLD51 for your message, really nice to read.