Notices

Waves Hello

Old 10-11-2021, 05:06 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Waves Hello

Hey Forum,

I'm a newcomer here and just wanted to say hi, verbally vomit all my troubles off my chest and look for people to engage with who have faced or are facing similar difficulties to me with opioid dependency.

I'm Hawx, 34, from Northern England (so I sound more like Steven Gerrard or The Beatles than The Queen). I've been on opioids for 13 years and the last 2 months have seen me in hospital pretty much every week with my body trying to give up so, I figured it was about time I pulled up my big girl pants and took some steps towards getting my **** together.

Why was I prescribed pain meds?
Since I was 18 months old I've had chronic problems with bladder pain, there's no cure for my condition so it's just about managing it and controlling the pain, it started with co-codamol, then tramadol and 3 years ago, oxycodone tablets and liquid for break through pain relief.

Where am I at now?
Over the last 6 months I found I was topping up my oxycodone with cocodamol too, I've weaned myself off tramadol before (about 5 years ago) but this oxycodone is a whole different ball game. Currently I'm still on 10mg am and pm with a few swigs of 5mg/5ml liquid throughout the day plus about 4 30/500 cocodamols.

What's my plan?
I'd like to be able to get down to 5mg tablets am and pm and then less and less of the liquid. Then loose the am dose, then loose the liquid and then just a ml before bed instead of the 5mg tablets. Then I can beat the cocodamol easier as I've managed that before.

Why I need to be Sober?
Recently my body is giving up, I'm always in hospital with my heart, it's impossible to get my heart rate under control, 155bpm is about usual, the sweats, the tummy knots, the irritability, mind fog, itching, drowsiness... I just want to be able to function. I want to belong to me and not a packet of pills

Extra Sprinkles of 'Let's make this harder'?
I have an addictive type of personality, my aspergers means I get hyper focused on things and have a high level of sensory difficulties. If it feels warm to a neuro-typical person then I'm on fire, if a clock ticking is barely audible then it's deafening to me. I also struggle with ADHD and this impacts on my relationships a lot!

I like to cover everything up with jokes, gifs and memes but underneath I'm just a sensitive soul looking for an easier day than yesterday.

Sheesh, that was a lot of typing for 1am. I look forward to interacting with you and thank you for providing a service like this

Old 10-11-2021, 05:26 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thanks for sharing a little more of your story Hawx
You'll find a lot of support and understanding here - and some others from the UK North as well

D
Old 10-12-2021, 01:04 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Say cheese!

welcome hawx and good to have u aboard. Hope u manage to get ur journey started and fullful ur want of life xxx
I myself have a personality disorder and i have started my sober journey and this crowd here is a great support in keeping onwards and upwards x
look forward to seeing u around xx
Old 10-12-2021, 01:25 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR! I'm glad you found us here.
Old 10-12-2021, 01:38 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Sounds like you have found the right place. There is a lot of support and advice here you wont need to feel you are doing it alone. Welcome!
Old 10-12-2021, 05:13 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
sober style

Glad you made the SR scene, Hawx!
Old 10-12-2021, 05:14 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

hello and welcome !
Old 10-12-2021, 05:23 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Hawx, and it sounds like you have a good plan in place.

We're here to offer any support to you that we can.
Old 10-12-2021, 06:48 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!
Old 10-12-2021, 06:54 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Erratic View Post
I myself have a personality disorder and i have started my sober journey and this crowd here is a great support in keeping onwards and upwards x
look forward to seeing u around xx
Thank you for this, its reassuring to know that there are others here with personality disorders. My Doctors are currently assessing me for Borderline Personality too because of my reckless destructive behaviour but I'm just so..... Meh... Because its like they want to stick labels on me so they can say oh that's not my field of expertise because it's the.... (insert any of my diagnosed conditions). I'm like Gah, just please help me out.