Notices

No one is coming to save you

Old 09-28-2021, 10:23 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

No one is coming to save you

Today is the one thousandth, two hundredth and sixty-fifth day in a row for me where I protected that which matters in my life from that which undermines, deletes, confuses, destroys, withholds, tarnishes, injures and poisons. The further I go down this sober path, the less I can relate to the person I was who had wandered and stumbled and rushed into a way of life that sacrificed all that mattered on the altar of my addiction. I cannot believe the lengths I went to, the constant steady stream of lies, intertwining lies, big and small, to my self, to my loved ones, to the very air I breathed, in order to feed the beast who only wanted more cheap wine, more bottom-shelf vodka, who wanted to gorge himself in the face of certain failure, certain loss, in the face of constant shame, nauseous terror, and the dull panic that spread throughout my days like a net.

As I have said here many times, the habits and obstacles and demons that birthed and then aided and then fed my beast didn't just vanish in sobriety. In fact, in some ways I feel that sobriety has lifted the veil on many of the self-destructive beliefs and attendant behaviors that led to my drinking. There is some kind of deep-seated disbelief in my goodness, a fly in the ointment of my self belief, that remains. And the cycle of avoidance that leads to possible failure and probably disappointment - that cycle that I came to think of as being who I am - it is still with me. I find myself addicted to it. And I work, daily, to recognize it and I work to remedy its roots and its ways of manifesting.

Yet even with these difficulties, my life is buoyed and driven to a place far above the brutal wastes of where I lurched and slept and ruined when I was drinking and drinking and drinking. It is a clean, safe place. There is self-trust and burgeoning self-belief. There is just the simple chance that each day might bring something sweet and meaningful and worthy - as mundane as a beautiful rain, or a conversation with a colleague, or even an accomplishment, maybe just good, well-earned sleep.

And the person who I see in the mirror is the person who saved me. I can picture myself wracked in the horrors of yet another hangover, cursing the sunlight, waiting waiting waiting for my life to change, tomorrow tomorrow tomorrow, waiting for someone to come save me. And no one showed up. Until I did.

Some thoughts during a busy Tuesday. Thankful for SR. Chopping wood, carrying water and treating myself like someone who deserves to be taken care of.
Old 09-28-2021, 10:39 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

LG, your journey has been an inspiration to me, and I just can't thank you enough for your generosity. You should be proud of that person looking back at you in the mirror. Congratulations, my friend.
Old 09-28-2021, 10:45 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lessgravity View Post
Today is the one thousandth, two hundredth and sixty-fifth day in a row for me where I protected that which matters in my life from that which undermines, deletes, confuses, destroys, withholds, tarnishes, injures and poisons. The further I go down this sober path, the less I can relate to the person I was who had wandered and stumbled and rushed into a way of life that sacrificed all that mattered on the altar of my addiction. I cannot believe the lengths I went to, the constant steady stream of lies, intertwining lies, big and small, to my self, to my loved ones, to the very air I breathed, in order to feed the beast who only wanted more cheap wine, more bottom-shelf vodka, who wanted to gorge himself in the face of certain failure, certain loss, in the face of constant shame, nauseous terror, and the dull panic that spread throughout my days like a net.

As I have said here many times, the habits and obstacles and demons that birthed and then aided and then fed my beast didn't just vanish in sobriety. In fact, in some ways I feel that sobriety has lifted the veil on many of the self-destructive beliefs and attendant behaviors that led to my drinking. There is some kind of deep-seated disbelief in my goodness, a fly in the ointment of my self belief, that remains. And the cycle of avoidance that leads to possible failure and probably disappointment - that cycle that I came to think of as being who I am - it is still with me. I find myself addicted to it. And I work, daily, to recognize it and I work to remedy its roots and its ways of manifesting.

Yet even with these difficulties, my life is buoyed and driven to a place far above the brutal wastes of where I lurched and slept and ruined when I was drinking and drinking and drinking. It is a clean, safe place. There is self-trust and burgeoning self-belief. There is just the simple chance that each day might bring something sweet and meaningful and worthy - as mundane as a beautiful rain, or a conversation with a colleague, or even an accomplishment, maybe just good, well-earned sleep.

And the person who I see in the mirror is the person who saved me. I can picture myself wracked in the horrors of yet another hangover, cursing the sunlight, waiting waiting waiting for my life to change, tomorrow tomorrow tomorrow, waiting for someone to come save me. And no one showed up. Until I did.

Some thoughts during a busy Tuesday. Thankful for SR. Chopping wood, carrying water and treating myself like someone who deserves to be taken care of.
💛🤍💙 thank you for sharing this.
Old 09-28-2021, 10:58 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

This is me! It is so true that we have to eliminate the substance to begin the real work. It is only when I have been sober for some length of time that the other issues begin to bubble up, and I start to see the dysfunctional thinking at work, and feel the emotional pain, from long ago experiences. The tendency to avoid any emotions and not even know what I am feeling at any given moment. The procrastination, which is really avoidance of emotions, and the codependent focus on others instead of myself.

All of this becomes so clear once I stop having those few drinks in the evening "to relax".

And the person who I see in the mirror is the person who saved me. I can picture myself wracked in the horrors of yet another hangover, cursing the sunlight, waiting waiting waiting for my life to change, tomorrow tomorrow tomorrow, waiting for someone to come save me. And no one showed up. Until I did. Some thoughts during a busy Tuesday. Thankful for SR. Chopping wood, carrying water and treating myself like someone who deserves to be taken care of.
You are so correct, LG. Ultimately no one will save us but ourselves. The addict keeps looking for external solutions to what is essentially an internal problem. Until we care, no one else will.

Thanks for this great post!
Old 09-28-2021, 12:34 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

The process of self improvement is a lifelong one, but I couldn’t kickstart it til I put the booze down.
Thanks and congrats LG

D
Old 09-28-2021, 05:58 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Always love your posts & get a lot from them, less.
Congrats on your 1,265 days of sobriety & freedom.
Old 09-29-2021, 02:17 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Another amazing post by LG. Hope your ego does not get too big here but this one is almost as epic as My Guide to Moderation.

My guide to moderation - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (My guide to moderation)

Thanks for sharing this.
Old 09-29-2021, 02:21 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Lovely post, yes we couldn't do the real work needed until the alcohol was out of our way.
Old 09-29-2021, 05:23 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Yes, no one is coming to save me.

I'm so glad you are here and a part of the this community. Thank you for your words and congrats on your sober time.
Old 09-29-2021, 06:00 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

The further I go down this sober path, the less I can relate to the person I was who had wandered and stumbled and rushed into a way of life that sacrificed all that mattered on the altar of my addiction..
I sometimes look back at the person I was, and I ask myself who that person was. Was that really me, and how did I get that way? But you are right. I also recognize that it was me. Yep it was me, but I had the capacity to change. That's the good news, but the bad news is that I could quit choosing to be this new person that I like better, and become that loser again. God knows, I don't dwell on that thought. It's much too depressing. Yuck! But yeah, I'm the person who was that other guy at one time. And there is no one but me that can save me from that.
Old 09-29-2021, 07:42 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

It is a clean, safe place There is self-trust and burgeoning self-belief. There is just the simple chance that each day might bring something sweet and meaningful and worthy - as mundane as a beautiful rain, or a conversation with a colleague, or even an accomplishment, maybe just good, well-earned sleep.

And the person who I see in the mirror is the person who saved me. I can picture myself wracked in the horrors of yet another hangover, cursing the sunlight, waiting waiting waiting for my life to change, tomorrow tomorrow tomorrow, waiting for someone to come save me. And no one showed up. Until I did. .
Beautiful, powerful writing, Less. I feel enriched by reading your reflections on your journey. Thank you x.
Old 09-29-2021, 09:32 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Love it, LG. THank you.
Old 09-29-2021, 03:22 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Wonderful post as always Less. Please continue to post your insightful thoughts. Day 288 here.

Love DD
Old 09-29-2021, 08:41 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I love this post! The person you are seeing in the mirror is amazing!
Old 09-29-2021, 08:49 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Ditto what Heaven said.

THANK YOU, LG!
Old 09-30-2021, 08:35 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

You have a gift for writing and communicating lessgravity. I have reread many of your posts both when feeling low and high. Thank you for sharing it.
Old 10-01-2021, 07:46 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Another great post, always inspires me to read your honesty.
Old 10-01-2021, 07:53 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Thanks for your post. I can relate to a lot of it. Well written. Congratulations on your sober time!
Old 10-01-2021, 07:53 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Stunning post. Thanks.