Notices

Has anyone taken this extreme action?

Old 09-27-2021, 03:52 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Samantha

Has anyone taken this extreme action?

In my last dire attempt to quit. I need to get rid of the thing that stresses me out the most, which is my job.
I love my job. Some of you may know, I am in the travel industry and covid pretty much messed it up completely. It is insanely stressful these days to the point where some days I am physically ill thinking about it.
those days come around more often then they used to. I am not sure I can do it any more. Many nights I don't sleep and just panic all night.
still no end in site to the pandemic.
I could cry right now just thinking about it.
has anyone ever quit their job in order to get rid of stress, anxiety and panic?
I would have to get a new one immediately to pay the bills.
Old 09-27-2021, 04:07 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry that work is so stressful and changing jobs is something to consider AR, but, I think you should have another job in place first. I think that being out of work and job-hunting could be just as stressful as being in your present job. If you're trying to get out of the travel industry, maybe you could think about taking some courses to help change your career?
Old 09-27-2021, 04:22 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm not thinking about quitting but I often feel like I'm under a tremendous amount of stress!

Just the perfect storm of events coming together at the wrong time.

I got to thinking what exactly is stress? I know its like some built in defense mechanism in the brain but.... I was thinking its only stress if we choose to feel it.

I remember when I first got sober i thought oh boy, I'm gonna need some kind of medication for my anxiety if i don't drink. I thought there has to be an easy way.

I found a few things that help me with anxiety that are simple:

Not drinking, even days after just having that poison in my system alone will ratchet up the anxiety.
Getting enough exercise. The brain will create its own stress if it doesn't get the physical stress it was designed to handle.
Magnesium, I started taking this for muscle cramping, turns out low magnesium might have been giving me anxiety as well.
Old 09-27-2021, 04:29 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Absolutely. I quit at the peak of my management career at a Fortune 50 company. I was drinking two beers on the drive home from San Francisco every night (bumper to bumper stop and go traffic) just to relieve my stress and boredom (yes, both, because I didn't enjoy it).. I drank the other 4 when I got home. Quitting the job helped to reduce my anxiety immensely and my drinking dropped to almost nothing.

The downside of that was I no longer felt the need to quit drinking, although I never went back to the same quantity. Instead I did land development for 5 years, traveled and started living a healthy lifestyle. It was a pretty wonderful timeframe, in retrospect, because I could be creative.. but eventually I went back to a lower level corporate job at another firm when the real estate market crashed in 2007. I was really glad I got out of the pressure cooker though. I'd probably be dead now. If its causing that much stress by all means get out.
Old 09-27-2021, 05:02 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Samantha

Thanks everyone for your feedback.
I think it's something I will have to consider.
Although I worry alot about drunk messaging people from work, that's my main concern right now, hangovers suck.
Old 09-27-2021, 05:09 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

So, I spent most of my career working political campaigns (all kinds). I lived cycle to cycle. This work was grueling, all-consuming, and had me moving cities and states every few years. I was good at it. Obsessive workaholic.

Alcohol was always present. Rarely while I was working, but a lot of the time it was how I’d wind down getting home working 7am-9pm most days and weekends to boot.

Yes, I’d say that took a toll on my health. That kind of life is so in-the-moment it’s hard to describe. You can’t see past the next Election Day.

When my kids were born I changed careers and took a 9-5 in a similar job far away from politics or advocacy. Far less stressful. I plan my life far ahead of campaigns. I invest in myself, my family, my marriage, my hobbies. I’m away from other workaholic/alcoholics. Away from airports and hotels alone (these were big triggers for me).

It does help removing yourself from a toxic career/job, but only if you can swing it. It took me a couple years to make an exit. Good luck I hope you find something fulfilling and far less stressful. In the meantime, I think you’ll find removing alcohol alone actually helps a lot. When you’re in a hotel on business, hit the gym and hot tub instead of the bar. It helps.
Old 09-27-2021, 06:12 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by anxiousrock View Post
has anyone ever quit their job in order to get rid of stress, anxiety and panic?
It certainly seems like anything that would eliminate stress, anxiety, and panic would be a good thing. No one should hate their job. But will quitting your job keep you sober? Maybe, if it was your job that made you drink--or the stress resulting from your job. But in looking over past Day 1 posts, it seems you drank from any number of reasons, not just anxiety and stress. So just think it through. If your job is the culprit in your drinking, and not just the reason for your latest relapse, then perhaps a new job is called for. But stress and anxiety seems plague you. So learning to cope with it might be the long term solution.
Old 09-27-2021, 06:37 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I was SEVERELY STRESSED with my job one year ago. I would cry when I got home due to how unmanageable everything felt. I work with the public and my main job involves helping people to find natural and alternative remedies for their health. I also manage two other departments with few staff members.

The pandemic created a HIGH STRESS **** SHOW with anger from customers, high emotions, severe conflict and basically dealing with everything I am not paid to deal with. I'm not a Infectious disease expert but that didn't stop people from needed help from the staff and myself. The publics stress and my own stress was not a good match. It was not harmonious. I thought of quitting everyday. I thought of walking out. I would take days off from work. My internal stress was through the roof. I felt like I was in a panic all the time. I drank to relieve the stress and then I was more stressed due to drinking. Rinse and repeat every single week. Almost every day. I seriously was ill. Mentally, emotionally, spiritually and physically ill. I woke up one morning after a night of drinking and I wanted everything to end. I just could not go on with ALL that was happening.

Fast forward.....One year later. A lot of self work. A dedication to find healthier ways to manage my stress. A structured lifestyle. I can say with certainty that my stress levels have decreased by about 90 percent. I can say with certainty that I am healthy in mind, emotions, physically and spiritually.

I still work in the same environment but the difference is that I learned how to create internal boundaries. Stopped checking emails when off work. No answering questions when off work. No drinking. Running. Weights. Breathing. Chanting. This forum. I got better. I buckled up and took the ride into sobriety. I didn't level off immediately. It took me about 3 months of turbulence but I stayed the course. The flight I was on finally landed in a place of calm. It was a wild ride but one that was worth it.

If you have the funds to quit your job then quit. If you dont have the funds then I would suggest finding a new job while you still have a job. No matter what your internal self does have to change. Wherever we go there we are.

I believe you can get sober. I believe in you, Anxious Rock!
Old 09-27-2021, 06:51 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hey friend,

I am also in the travel industry, gone more days than I’m home and I KNOW how much alcohol can be around. Believe me. If you think that might be a factor then maybe ask for a temporary leave, for personal reasons, tell them it’s family related, whatever, but the situation is stressing you out and you need a two week leave to sort out the issues. That might give you some breathing room to see how you feel. I have the feeling you might miss it though—it’s hard to go back to working in an office!!
Old 09-27-2021, 07:40 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I have been considering it.....my current circumstances won't allow it though! I would like a new job but I can't face a job interview. I feel trapped but at the same time my job is the securest I can get, so for me I realise I must work on myself first and grow further in recovery, THEN seek to find a new job. I think if you can secure something else then go for it, providing it's suitable for your needs.
Old 09-27-2021, 09:49 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Samantha

Originally Posted by UNITE4STRENGTH View Post
I have been considering it.....my current circumstances won't allow it though! I would like a new job but I can't face a job interview. I feel trapped but at the same time my job is the securest I can get, so for me I realise I must work on myself first and grow further in recovery, THEN seek to find a new job. I think if you can secure something else then go for it, providing it's suitable for your needs.
yes absolutely!!! I never thought about an interview...I also would not be able to face one, that's for sure.
I haven't looked into any options yet. My coworker actually is looking for a job too and said not much available. Doesn't give me hope.
Old 09-28-2021, 12:33 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Old 09-28-2021, 12:35 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Leaving a toxic workplace in July last year was the best thing I could have done for myself and my mental health.
I can honestly say that my anxiety has reduced by 90%
It didn't stop me drinking completely- but it reduced it significantly.
I had a 2 bottle of wine a night problem - I was 100 lbs overweight and used to feel panic nearly every day from the people I was surrounded by and crippling hangovers.
Since then I have lost 45 lbs I have periods of abstinence from alcohol - but get sucked in at weekends occasionally which I'm working towards stopping - it's not fun anymore.
But all in all I feel so much better.
No amount of money is worth it.
Old 09-28-2021, 07:14 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I debated doing this about a decade ago. I wanted to take 6 months off work to “get fit”. Looking back, this would’ve been a vague target. I might have lost weight and improved physically, but the underlying issues would’ve remained and resurfaced when I resumed working.

So it took a few more years, but I kept on working but changed my lifestyle.

Drinking does compound issues. Your lack of sleep is likely due to drinking and that in turn causes you stress and sets you up badly for the day.

It’s worth keeping the job. It pays the bill and sounds like only part of the problem?

I’m curious how you laid your hands on that quantity of alcohol. Was it already in the house? It’s only relevant as I keep none in the house as I might even be tempted after all this time. Other than that, reach out for help. Keep trying. What triggered this latest episode?

Oh and acid reflux isn’t damaging as such. It’s just very painful. I always got it when trying to sleep. That’s my experience which went away totally when I quit. See your doc if you have concerns.

Sorry to be reading this. I know it’s tempting to quit the job, but that might make matters worse.
Old 09-28-2021, 07:52 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Yes, I've quit every job that caused stress and anxiety. I lived off savings for a few years and when they became a bit low I went to work elsewhere. Not so great for saving money but my health was more important to me so that was my priority.
Old 09-28-2021, 08:47 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

I vote that the AV will use anything, including covid, to cause a person to drink. Job stress equals anything as well.

I used to make up reasons to drink on the way home from work. I tell folks this sometimes: A person is only as good as they are. Trying harder just looks like flailing. Relate it to a swimmer. No matter how hard a person tries, if they are a weak swimmer, they can't go any faster.

I just do my best, with as much concern as is required. Anything more is just spazzing out.

In some places covid is still wreaking havoc. Not in my neck of the woods. They are hugging it up everywhere, even on TV.

I still carefully wipe down my gym equipment and wash up well all the time. I don't touch my face like I used to.

I have gotten both of my shots. Moderna. I am retired military so I was used to getting whatever shots I was told to get.

I can't remember what it was, but we had to get a shot once and if we refused we would have been immediately discharged.

The internet is amazing and most of us use it all the time. It gives us information and lets us decide. Educated or not.

I attend events all the time where if a guest has gotten their shots they can go maskless. Other events require a mask.

Bottom line: everyone has to live their life as they choose. If a person thinks it is reckless to not where a mask that is fine with me. I have been asked many times to put on my mask and I always oblige. I don't want to make folks uncomfortable and I don't want to get into any sort of a altercation (no matter how small). I always feel bad when this happens.

Good energy begets good energy. I always try to keep the love flowing and expect nothing for my effort. Anything positive is a bonus. I get bonuses all the time.

Love always.

Thanks.
Old 09-28-2021, 09:59 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Yes - I got sober and quit my job at about month six. It was liberating and difficult but the right decision. Sobriety is just once choice, among so many, that we can make to try and take care of our selves. Sounds like where you work should be one that you make as well.
Old 09-28-2021, 01:51 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Samantha

Originally Posted by Hodd View Post
I debated doing this about a decade ago. I wanted to take 6 months off work to “get fit”. Looking back, this would’ve been a vague target. I might have lost weight and improved physically, but the underlying issues would’ve remained and resurfaced when I resumed working.

So it took a few more years, but I kept on working but changed my lifestyle.

Drinking does compound issues. Your lack of sleep is likely due to drinking and that in turn causes you stress and sets you up badly for the day.

It’s worth keeping the job. It pays the bill and sounds like only part of the problem?

I’m curious how you laid your hands on that quantity of alcohol. Was it already in the house? It’s only relevant as I keep none in the house as I might even be tempted after all this time. Other than that, reach out for help. Keep trying. What triggered this latest episode?

Oh and acid reflux isn’t damaging as such. It’s just very painful. I always got it when trying to sleep. That’s my experience which went away totally when I quit. See your doc if you have concerns.

Sorry to be reading this. I know it’s tempting to quit the job, but that might make matters worse.
when you pay extra, alcohol comes to you. They don't care if you're already so drunk you can hardly stand.
Old 09-28-2021, 02:11 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

In my last dire attempt to quit. I need to get rid of the thing that stresses me out the most, which is my job.
I love my job. Some of you may know, I am in the travel industry and covid pretty much messed it up completely. It is insanely stressful these days to the point where some days I am physically ill thinking about it.
those days come around more often then they used to. I am not sure I can do it any more. Many nights I don't sleep and just panic all night.
still no end in site to the pandemic.
I could cry right now just thinking about it.
I would have to get a new one immediately to pay the bills.
I understand what you are going through. I have been working throughout the entire pandemic. Today I work on day 502 I got clean during the pandemic it's the first thing I needed to do. The stress of work is still there but being clean first and putting in the recovery work has given me the tools to help overcome these obstacles. Don't get me wrong there is times I still go through hell. But as long as I keep trying to improve and grow it will be better in the long run. In the first few months in recovery I wanted to walk away from work who never appreciate my value to the company. Just like myself it will be your decision to quit. Take time to think about it cause your the only one who can truly understand the benefits aswell as the lost of leaving which you stated was a good job just having hard times with the pandemic. I see others struggling in my job who have left thinking it would be better but to end up in a job at the bottom . Sometimes we need to look back at the good things about are job that has attracted us it. Have a great day.
Old 09-28-2021, 02:53 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

when you pay extra, alcohol comes to you. They don't care if you're already so drunk you can hardly stand.
I find this a bit worrying, AR. Is it an alcohol delivery service or similar? Bloody scary thought.