Notices

3 Years Sober Today

Old 09-11-2021, 04:35 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

3 Years Sober Today

Hello SR,

It's been a long time since I've posted, life has certainly been strange this past year. I am so happy to report that I am 3 years sober today. I came here years ago, broken and beaten down from the aftermath of 30 years of drinking. Sober Recovery helped me find my way, a path to freedom and self discovery. I will never forget the kindness and support that I received here, it was my salvation.

If you are struggling to get sober or stay sober, please never give up. I can honestly say that I do not miss drinking. In the early days, I thought I would never make it to 3 days, 3 weeks, 3 months.....it does get better and it does get easier. Drinking is no longer a daily, weekly or monthly thought. Alcohol is now just something they sell at the store that I don't like or want to buy. It no longer owns me.

Today is not only my 3 year sobriety date, it is also my birthday. I now have the freedom to really celebrate my life, how I have grown as an individual and how I want to continue living a life of happiness and peace. I hope that each of you find the serenity that you deserve, the ability to forgive yourself, and the strength to love yourself unconditionally. You are worth the fight, and so was I.

With love and complete gratitude,
Wildflower70
Old 09-11-2021, 04:53 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congrats on 3 years.
Old 09-11-2021, 04:55 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

You made it, and I think that's wonderful.
Old 09-11-2021, 04:59 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Congrats, wildflower, and Happy Birthday!
Old 09-11-2021, 05:03 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

What an incredibly uplifting and inspiring post. Thank you for sharing and congratulations on 3 years that is a long long time!!!!

I see that you had a couple of slow starts even at 6 months a while back which I’m sure we all did…..I definitely did. What made it stick for good this time if you don’t mind me asking?

PS Happy birthday!
Old 09-11-2021, 05:17 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

For me, the difference this time was that I stayed away from the major triggers that kept me in the drinking cycle:

1) My dysfunctional family - I didn't visit for nearly 2 years, my brother is a heavy drinker
2) Going to functions that served booze - this included bars, parties or friends that drank
3) Dating...this one was huge. I associated drinking with dating/intimacy my entire life.
Now at 3 years I have:
1) Gone to see my family once and even stayed with my brother. (I felt sorry for him and his alcoholic wife)
2) Feel more comfortable being around friends that drink or places that serve booze (It doesn't bother me)
3) Gone on a few dates and realized that I am more fun sober! (I still struggle with intimacy, but that will come)

For the past 3 years I never forced myself to do anything that I wasn't ready for, no matter what others thought. I put my needs (sobriety) first and that made all the difference.
Old 09-11-2021, 06:45 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by wildflower70 View Post
For me, the difference this time was that I stayed away from the major triggers that kept me in the drinking cycle:
Yes! There is no logical reason to put yourself at risk by trying to be the willpower man of steel. The first question should always be, "Do I really need to do this," and if you say, "Well, yes I do," I would argue that you should rethink that. Avoiding such situations sometimes seems like a drastic action, but only if you are not serious about sobriety. When we say, you will have to make some real changes in your life, this is exactly the kind of thing we are talking about. Later in sobriety, you can do these things with a degree of confidence, but early on, we need to take every precaution possible.
Old 09-11-2021, 06:53 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hello SR,

It's been a long time since I've posted, life has certainly been strange this past year. I am so happy to report that I am 3 years sober today. I came here years ago, broken and beaten down from the aftermath of 30 years of drinking. Sober Recovery helped me find my way, a path to freedom and self discovery. I will never forget the kindness and support that I received here, it was my salvation.

If you are struggling to get sober or stay sober, please never give up. I can honestly say that I do not miss drinking. In the early days, I thought I would never make it to 3 days, 3 weeks, 3 months.....it does get better and it does get easier. Drinking is no longer a daily, weekly or monthly thought. Alcohol is now just something they sell at the store that I don't like or want to buy. It no longer owns me.

Today is not only my 3 year sobriety date, it is also my birthday. I now have the freedom to really celebrate my life, how I have grown as an individual and how I want to continue living a life of happiness and peace. I hope that each of you find the serenity that you deserve, the ability to forgive yourself, and the strength to love yourself unconditionally. You are worth the fight, and so was I.

With love and complete gratitude,
Wildflower70
Huge congratulations!!!! I cannot wait until I reach this goal!!!! ..but I'm going to have to, haha, ah well. You're an inspiration. Thank you for sharing and posting.
Old 09-11-2021, 07:00 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks for the reply. My older brother is an active alcoholic and I have been avoiding seeing him which makes me feel selfish and guilty. I also have avoided old drinking buddies and some bachelor parties but I’m trying to put sobriety first. Again congrats on 3 years hopefully I’ll get there too….one day at a time.
Old 09-11-2021, 07:06 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Congratulations and happy birthday! I like the way you put that alcohol is something they just sell that you don’t want; there’s lots of things I don’t buy because I don’t want them!
Old 09-11-2021, 07:08 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Outstanding job, Wildflower! Happy birthday!

Thanks for stopping by and posting!
Old 09-11-2021, 09:40 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Happy Birthday and congratulations on three years!
Old 09-11-2021, 10:02 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

HAPPY BIRTHDAY! HAPPY 3 Years of SOBRIETY! HAPPY EVERYTHING!
This is fabulous. I wish for you all the happiness in the world as you continue on in your life of freedom!
Celebrate big time.
Old 09-11-2021, 10:08 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

A lovely post, wildflower. I'm so glad you came here years ago to acknowledge what was going on & seek encouragement.
Congratulations on your 3 yrs. of freedom & enjoy your birthday.
Old 09-11-2021, 10:35 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Congratulations!
Old 09-11-2021, 10:42 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

1) My dysfunctional family - I didn't visit for nearly 2 years, my brother is a heavy drinker
2) Going to functions that served booze - this included bars, parties or friends that drank
3) Dating...this one was huge. I associated drinking with dating/intimacy my entire life.
Now at 3 years I have:
1) Gone to see my family once and even stayed with my brother. (I felt sorry for him and his alcoholic wife)
2) Feel more comfortable being around friends that drink or places that serve booze (It doesn't bother me)
3) Gone on a few dates and realized that I am more fun sober! (I still struggle with intimacy, but that will come)

For the past 3 years I never forced myself to do anything that I wasn't ready for, no matter what others thought. I put my needs (sobriety) first and that made all the difference.
this is such encouraging information, I'm glad you shared this. I struggle with intimacy too and also come from a seriously dysfunctional family. All in good time and I will be in a position to tackle these things. Happy birthday and happy 3 years sober, I'm really pleased for you 🌸
Old 09-11-2021, 10:42 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Big congrats on three years sober! And a very happy birthday to you!
Old 09-11-2021, 11:25 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

What a great update and Congratulations on 3 years sober!
Old 09-11-2021, 11:44 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Congrats on Three Years, @wildflower70! That's EPIC!
Old 09-11-2021, 01:00 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Congrats!!