Notices

Back Again. Day One.

Old 09-10-2021, 08:03 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Back Again. Day One.

I'm still off the alcohol. Had no desire to touch it since my signature date. But, it's time to address the codeine issue.

I guess I should detail how it started. It was a dental issue around a year and a half ago, maybe 2. I was given codeine to help the pain. I took them for about a week and then didn't need them. Over that time I was taking them on and off but more so for recreational use. My partner is prescribed them for her back, but she rarely used them and just stockpiled them which allowed me access to them.

It grew out of hand to where I was taking the max dosage of paracetamol. I was using co-codamol 30mg/500mg taking no more than 8 per day. But I'd often have the 8 within 6 hours.

I then started to do cold water extraction with packets of codeine to make homemade "lean" and extract the nasty paracetamol.

I've recently started taking 10 a day. This is over the paracetamol limit and I know what I need to do.

One nasty side effect of quitting is a rapid heartrate. I can last a day before I have to take some to stop the fast heartrate.

But here goes. Day one people. Whatever addictions you're quitting I wish you all the best! I know this is mostly an alcohol forum so I'll keep all my posts relating to my journey in this post.

Would love to hear from those who have had a similar issue
Old 09-10-2021, 08:07 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Glad to hear you are taking this step 16year. Sounds like you are very self-aware of the problem and also what the solution entails. Not knowing all the details of withdrawal from codeine, I do hope that you'll seek some medical help if the need arises. Rapid heartrate sounds unpleasant at minimum and potentially dangerous.

Old 09-10-2021, 08:31 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you're dealing with this.
Old 09-10-2021, 08:39 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Damn dude you might want to see a Doctor before you go cold turkey on that.

Never tried it. Tried painkillers once and hated them. Constipation was miserable and the high wasn’t very good. Same for all the pills and drugs IMO.

Old 09-10-2021, 10:40 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Now is the time I usually take my first 2. And it's very difficult right this moment because the craving is intense.

And the increase in heartrate is not life threatening or anything like that, just unpleasant. It's a common withdrawal symptom that is said to subside after 3-7 days. I had a similar issue when quitting alcohol the first time around.

Once I'm past the 7 day mark it's just the cravings I have to deal with as most withdrawal symptoms will be gone. Tomorrow it will be the nasty toilet problems. After that, I do not know ... never got that far

Thanks all. Just going to remain online for a bit and read through some posts.
Old 09-10-2021, 01:30 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

mate...i have significant experience with addition.... and i am familiar with the term "lean" big thing in the states....
some cough syrup mixed with a zesty fruity drink (top gear reference!) but i have no experience with the effects of pain killer addiction...
one day i would love for you to tell me what the effects are and why you find it so compelling....what i am trying to say is i understand why people do heroin,cocaine etc etc....it gets ya buzzing off your nut.... is it a similar thing?... as i said clueless to it.... you seem like a nice fella... if i could understand it..maybe i could help ya break it??

im now thinking about putting a film on.....my big tv is also my monitor.....so i cant do both here and that...haha...
tell ya what tho..been a pleasure to meet ya!
onward and upwards brother!!
Old 09-10-2021, 01:38 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hey 16

I have only a little personal experience to share but you’ll probably feel something akin to a flu, but it’s worth pushing through that - it will end and you ll feel ok again.

Once you’re into extracting the codeine from cocodamol or whatever , it’s definitely time to knock it on the head.

D
Old 09-10-2021, 01:40 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

mate...i have significant experience with addition.... and i am familiar with the term "lean" big thing in the states....
some cough syrup mixed with a zesty fruity drink (top gear reference!) but i have no experience with the effects of pain killer addiction...
one day i would love for you to tell me what the effects are and why you find it so compelling....what i am trying to say is i understand why people do heroin,cocaine etc etc....it gets ya buzzing off your nut.... is it a similar thing?... as i said clueless to it.... you seem like a nice fella... if i could understand it..maybe i could help ya break it??

im now thinking about putting a film on.....my big tv is also my monitor.....so i cant do both here and that...haha...
tell ya what tho..been a pleasure to meet ya!
onward and upwards brother!!
Old 09-12-2021, 11:21 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

If you're like me, other substances will lead back to alcohol.
Mixing codeine (or any opiate) with alcohol is also a bad idea since the synergistic effect of respiratory depression can be stronger than the sum of the two - and that's a dangerous situation.

I believe in you. Keep it going - one day at a time.
Old 09-12-2021, 02:58 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

What I took from you post was that you kicked the alcohol, stayed off it for over 3 years if I got the dates right? That is in itself worth celebrating, getting sober is hard and staying sober even harder.
So you have strength, self belief and motivation - right here is the support and the encouragement. It's a winning combination!