Notices

I want to drink less

Old 09-10-2021, 05:37 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AAPJ View Post
Great topic. The best comment regarding moderation I ever heard at a live meeting was:

When I was moderating alcohol I was not enjoying it and when I was enjoying alcohol I was not moderating it.
One of my favorites was: "If you are trying to control your drinking, you are not in control of your drinking."
Old 09-10-2021, 06:14 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

"First the man takes a drink, then the drink takes a drink, then the drink takes the man."

Old 09-10-2021, 07:14 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
nez

Whenever I try to control something, it merely means that the something I am trying to control is actually controlling me.
"Peace cannot be kept by force. It can only be achieved by understanding."
Albert Einstein
I am at peace with my sobriety because I understand and accept that I am an alcoholic and the full implications of what that means.

Old 09-10-2021, 11:03 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LeadHatter View Post
I'm in therapy and its not going well. That's a good enough excuse to drink. But it is an excuse largely. Recently I bought a half bottle of spirits on two occasions and thought that that was an escalation I was concerned about. I have cut down from time to time and occasionally had a day with not drinking but since i didn't immediately feel the benefit the next day I was discouraged and though "well I feel bad the next day whether I drink or not so I may as well enjoy myself and drink". My liver isn't currently throwing up warning signs in blood tests but has done in the past.

Ideally I wish I could just drink moderately once a week but I never seem to attain this. I'm so in the habit of drinking. Its easy. Sometimes it makes you happy and there is no skill required. I'm really depressed though. I've bought a pushbike and a punch bag but not using them much. I'm too sad/too lazy to go for walks which may help me. I'm hoping to try the "couch to 5k" program from Monday but who knows if I will manage it.

I need help. Please help me.

LeadHatter aka Kevin
Hey Kevin,

You're an alcoholic. If you need alcohol to get through any part of your day, for whatever reason, you are an alcoholic. If you struggle without alcohol you are an alcoholic. Binge drinking included. If you acknowledge this then you also must accept that an alcoholic can not drink in moderation. If we could, non of us would be here. But, we're here because we can't drink in moderation, we can't control it and we rely/ed on alcohol.

How do you feel about this?
Old 09-10-2021, 11:14 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 16YearsDrunk View Post
an alcoholic can not drink in moderation. If we could, non of us would be here. But, we're here because we can't drink in moderation, we can't control it and we rely/ed on alcohol.
How do you feel about this?
I feel about not being able to drink in moderation about the same way I feel about not being a star forward for the Chicago Bulls. Neither one is necessary for me to have a full life, so I don't have to worry about perfecting either one of those skills.