Notices

Reaching out - day 5

Old 09-05-2021, 11:34 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SouthernSober View Post
Ditto to novips' post. And AA is just the base. I need the full multi-lateral effort.
hi SouthernSober! ...thanks for your message 🙂 this latest lapse is serving only to strengthen me further in long term sobriety. I agree with you that AA is just the base...it takes this as a solid foundation and a lot more on top including action, making adjustments and continued connection to a higher power. I wish you the best!!
Old 09-05-2021, 11:46 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by KittyMama00 View Post
Congratulations on your 5th day of sobriety. I can relate to your post about the psychological challenges as I am also experiencing those on day 7. I remind myself that my brain is always seeking homeostasis and adapted to my daily alcohol consumption, and is now adjusting to my withdrawing alcohol.
One thing that really stood out to me while reading your post is your desire to not waste the second half of your life in addiction. I turned 54 in August, and when I was younger I never imagined that I would replace family, friendships, hobbies, learning, exercising....etc. with a bottle (or 2) of wine. I actively drank as a yoga and barre instructor, and this recent Summer Quarter of college where I am pursuing a BAS in healthcare.
I keep telling myself that I am capable of so much more and deserving of so much better than this addiction has ever given to me. And this addiction has given me a harmed brain and body that I am now desperately trying to repair. Heal.
I encourage you to visualize each moment clearly without the blur of addiction.
I am cheering you on this 5th day of sobriety and believe that you are strong and capable of overcoming addiction.
Take Care!
kittymama00 - thanks so much for your thoughtful reply! I hear you loud and clear! Thank you 💛 I wish you all the best going forward with your college studies and continued sobriety. Big congrats for day 7, this is brilliant and you are an inspiration!!! I'm in my 40s.....and hobbies? What are they?! Alcohol was my world, it was my identity...and even more so because I didn't have enough of self! I'm absolutely determined to find out who I really am with sobriety as my foundation. It has taken too much time, health and money already. This much I can handle.....anymore i cannot! But I know I will have to keep guard and work for it because the addiction is always there even if it's dormant after multiple years of sobriety. BRING ON MULTIPLE YEARS OF SOBRIETY!!!
Old 09-05-2021, 11:54 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SouthernSober View Post
Everyone's different, U4S, but as someone who's been through this way too many times and is now on Day 18...I'd say 2 weeks is about average to feel like the ship has righted somewhat. I will say that I've been as dedicated as I could be in that time while still being kind to myself and not pushing it. Gym and AA 6 times a week, pounding the NA fluids, eating right and getting plenty of sleep. Magnesium and potassium key.

3 weeks ago I was in as deep as you can get without being in detox. My resting HR was 104. Now it's 80. Night and day.

I know enough to watch for the pink cloud, but I'm cognizant both how much better I feel *and* mindful alcohol is not just "cunning, baffling, powerful"--it's more so PATIENT. I really don't know if I have another quit/recovery in me.

All the best. SS
hi SS, oh gosh I feel you!!! I did not have another quit in me.....14 months later I'm here doing it again. I think I relapsed between 60 and 80 times in 25 years. It's so exhausting and draining, and it strips the self confidence and sense of identity!! I feel blessed that I have the experience and knowledge to get back on track sooner than later. Thanks for your message, all the best to you!!! And congratulations on day 18 🌟🙌🏻 U4S
Old 09-05-2021, 11:56 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dustyfox View Post
You are Doing so well and good idea to reach out here for some support.
It is weird with sugar - too much sweet stuff or fatty food make me feel like drinking, so I avoid them.
Sobriety is a hard won thing, but a life without poison messing with your body and brain is worth the fight. Keep going!
thanks for the support dustyfox! Week 2 I will cut out the sugar. Some sugar really helps my cravings in week 1. I'm a professional at my own home detoxes 😅
Old 09-06-2021, 12:03 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Thanks to everyone!

Thank you all for taking the time to respond....I feel very pleased to have made it to day 6.....as opposed to prolonging the hellish cycle! I woke this morning and was literally THANKING GOD that I made it through day 5. Haha, omg....what is this madness!?! 😄