Notices

Reaching out - day 5

Old 09-05-2021, 07:16 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Reaching out - day 5

Hi people.....anyone else on day 5? I'm feeling very foggy minded and fed up! I'm eating Haribo milkshake sweets and drinking water. The cravings are now more psychological, less physical.....I must keep going. If I give up now I will really regret it. During 'my lapse' I had 5 days off and another couple of days as well. So I need to reach the 14 day marker really in order to feel more stable. I cannot allow this addiction to take the next half of adult life!!!
Old 09-05-2021, 07:51 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yes, you can do this! Persevere and each day will get easier for you.

Good job on Day 5.
Old 09-05-2021, 08:08 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
Yes, you can do this! Persevere and each day will get easier for you.

Good job on Day 5.
Thank you, Anna! I'm resting as deeply as I can now instead of fighting it....tv on in background as a comforting distraction 🙂
Old 09-05-2021, 08:17 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Great job on 5 days. You sound full of determination. How are you sleeping?
Old 09-05-2021, 08:32 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Happiness is a choice that requires unlimited effort.
You.
Got.
This.
Old 09-05-2021, 08:33 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I have come to believe that there is a type of alcoholic who can only stay sober by fully committing to the recovery program set forth in Alcoholic Anonymous. I am one of those types. Feel free to PM me if you want to chat more about that.

Old 09-05-2021, 09:38 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by UNITE4STRENGTH View Post
Hi people.....anyone else on day 5? I'm feeling very foggy minded and fed up! I'm eating Haribo milkshake sweets and drinking water. The cravings are now more psychological, less physical.....I must keep going. If I give up now I will really regret it. During 'my lapse' I had 5 days off and another couple of days as well. So I need to reach the 14 day marker really in order to feel more stable. I cannot allow this addiction to take the next half of adult life!!!
I'm just a little bit behind you on days and if I remember correctly you had some time and only relapsed over a 10 day period. You may pull out of this faster than you think. It may not be like 'last time'. Locking yourself in the house may be a bit counter-productive too. Maybe get out and go for a walk, do some jumping jacks, etc. Get the body moving. Maybe sweets aren't the answer either. I messed up yesterday and drank some soft drinks and I can feel it this morning. I personally have found that avoiding sugars and simple carbs is my fastest way to recovery.

About two years ago I quit and I suffered pretty bad for the first 2/3 weeks. I wasn't eating good and doing everything the AA folks were telling me to do. Except I wasn't sleeping or eating good. A candy bar to start my day with some coffee before a meeting around lunch time. By the time I got back home I couldn't focus or concentrate on anything. And they all accused me of still drinking while also being upset with me bringing up that by the end of the meetings I was really craving a drink and didn't know why. I am able to take that 2/3 weeks now and make it about 4 days with a good diet. The day I start craving sweets I know that it is all psychological. I believe sugar and simple carbs are the enemy.

My two pence
Old 09-05-2021, 09:54 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by froscow View Post
Great job on 5 days. You sound full of determination. How are you sleeping?
Hi froscow - my sleep has been OK past 2 days. Using a low dose of Promethazine also has helped me through the first few days.
Old 09-05-2021, 09:55 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by nonsensical View Post
happiness is a choice that requires unlimited effort.
you.
Got.
This.
🌟💪🏻🙂
Old 09-05-2021, 10:02 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jtennery View Post
I'm just a little bit behind you on days and if I remember correctly you had some time and only relapsed over a 10 day period. You may pull out of this faster than you think. It may not be like 'last time'. Locking yourself in the house may be a bit counter-productive too. Maybe get out and go for a walk, do some jumping jacks, etc. Get the body moving. Maybe sweets aren't the answer either. I messed up yesterday and drank some soft drinks and I can feel it this morning. I personally have found that avoiding sugars and simple carbs is my fastest way to recovery.

About two years ago I quit and I suffered pretty bad for the first 2/3 weeks. I wasn't eating good and doing everything the AA folks were telling me to do. Except I wasn't sleeping or eating good. A candy bar to start my day with some coffee before a meeting around lunch time. By the time I got back home I couldn't focus or concentrate on anything. And they all accused me of still drinking while also being upset with me bringing up that by the end of the meetings I was really craving a drink and didn't know why. I am able to take that 2/3 weeks now and make it about 4 days with a good diet. The day I start craving sweets I know that it is all psychological. I believe sugar and simple carbs are the enemy.

My two pence
yes, thank you. I will get out for a walk tomorrow. I've been eating well (healthy) as well as a few sweets and jaffa cakes to help with PM cravings. I will come through this but I do feel vulnerable hence reaching out on SR. It is unbelievable how a long stint of sobriety can suddenly all change and how easy it can be to slip backwards for months. I am determined not to allow this to happen. The wisdom, strength, resolve & determination I have today will not be there so much if I pick up tomorrow. That's what's scary. Sorry to hear of your prior experience with the meetings! It can be really awkward managing early sobriety!!
Old 09-05-2021, 12:40 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hey... regardless of whether or not you are into AA you might think about binging some youtube AA speakers - or other inspirational/ motivational material that is easily binged and, preferrably, touched with some humor.

The two things that influence us the most are the media we consume and the people we hang out with. May as well boost your resolve by listening to peeps I'm sure you can relate to?

Bob D was one of my favs - here's a link to a great playlist: https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL...qROhKyYEvuEmSo
Chris Raymer is another good one: https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL...52qnbxJrlv83Ui

I could listen to both of these guys for days.(In fact I did in the early quit.)

I really enjoy his stuff and I'm not even really particularly religious.

-B

Old 09-05-2021, 02:33 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

You are Doing so well and good idea to reach out here for some support.
It is weird with sugar - too much sweet stuff or fatty food make me feel like drinking, so I avoid them.
Sobriety is a hard won thing, but a life without poison messing with your body and brain is worth the fight. Keep going!
Old 09-05-2021, 03:20 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

"Second half of life-er" here to encourage you.

Congratulations on your 5th day of sobriety. I can relate to your post about the psychological challenges as I am also experiencing those on day 7. I remind myself that my brain is always seeking homeostasis and adapted to my daily alcohol consumption, and is now adjusting to my withdrawing alcohol.
One thing that really stood out to me while reading your post is your desire to not waste the second half of your life in addiction. I turned 54 in August, and when I was younger I never imagined that I would replace family, friendships, hobbies, learning, exercising....etc. with a bottle (or 2) of wine. I actively drank as a yoga and barre instructor, and this recent Summer Quarter of college where I am pursuing a BAS in healthcare.
I keep telling myself that I am capable of so much more and deserving of so much better than this addiction has ever given to me. And this addiction has given me a harmed brain and body that I am now desperately trying to repair. Heal.
I encourage you to visualize each moment clearly without the blur of addiction.
I am cheering you on this 5th day of sobriety and believe that you are strong and capable of overcoming addiction.
Take Care!
Old 09-05-2021, 03:32 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I’m on day 5ish and just had the first halfway decent nights sleep last night. What gets me is some of the stuff that happened when I was drinking.

Cliffs…I left my 14 YO at a restaurant on NYE. Still haunts me to this day. He found his way back to the hotel a few blocks away. But that should never happen ever.

Hang in there it’s worth it. Also try and stay off the sugar. It’s bad for you. I try to avoid carbs too. Sugarless bubblegum is a good substitute for candy.
Old 09-05-2021, 07:29 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Great job U4S.. and others. You guys are all doing great! I found aerobic exercise helpful because it releases natural endorphins that calm the mind, make us feel good and relax us. Also I highly recommend joing the September small group class, if you haven't done so already - for the interaction and support.

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...-part-one.html
Old 09-05-2021, 09:44 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Day 5

Ditto to novips' post. And AA is just the base. I need the full multi-lateral effort.

Last edited by SouthernSober; 09-05-2021 at 09:45 PM. Reason: typo
Old 09-05-2021, 09:57 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Everyone's different, U4S, but as someone who's been through this way too many times and is now on Day 18...I'd say 2 weeks is about average to feel like the ship has righted somewhat. I will say that I've been as dedicated as I could be in that time while still being kind to myself and not pushing it. Gym and AA 6 times a week, pounding the NA fluids, eating right and getting plenty of sleep. Magnesium and potassium key.

3 weeks ago I was in as deep as you can get without being in detox. My resting HR was 104. Now it's 80. Night and day.

I know enough to watch for the pink cloud, but I'm cognizant both how much better I feel *and* mindful alcohol is not just "cunning, baffling, powerful"--it's more so PATIENT. I really don't know if I have another quit/recovery in me.

All the best. SS

Old 09-05-2021, 10:52 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
RAL

Congrats on day 6 now You're doing great
Old 09-05-2021, 11:27 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Buckley3 View Post
Hey... regardless of whether or not you are into AA you might think about binging some youtube AA speakers - or other inspirational/ motivational material that is easily binged and, preferrably, touched with some humor.

The two things that influence us the most are the media we consume and the people we hang out with. May as well boost your resolve by listening to peeps I'm sure you can relate to?

Bob D was one of my favs - here's a link to a great playlist: https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL...qROhKyYEvuEmSo
Chris Raymer is another good one: https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL...52qnbxJrlv83Ui

I could listen to both of these guys for days.(In fact I did in the early quit.)

I really enjoy his stuff and I'm not even really particularly religious.

-B
hi Buckley3. Thank you very much for these suggestions....I am quite AA based these days (haha) ....I will listen to your YT recommendations. I have watched a few before and have enjoyed. It is true what you say about influence.....I just said goodbye to another 6 year friendship because I'm taking my recovery very seriously. YouTube is an excellent resource for positive influence. Thanks again! Keep being brilliant and so will I!!!!
Old 09-05-2021, 11:29 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Hiii!

Originally Posted by RAL View Post
Congrats on day 6 now You're doing great
thank you thank you. It's day 6. When I woke this morning I felt so so grateful that I didn't slip yesterday. This shows how much we want sobriety. Clean time is so precious. How are you doing RAL?