Notices

11 Days and counting

Old 08-26-2021, 05:08 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Recovered alcoholics get sick, just like everyone else. The goal is to avoid drinking. The first year of my recovery, I was diagnosed with an early stage kidney cancer. I got through it just fine, and that was 25 years ago, but I remember thinking, "Is this what I get for sobering up?" Just remember that the two things have no relationship to each other.
Old 08-26-2021, 05:20 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=DriGuy;7689419]Recovered alcoholics get sick, just like everyone else. The goal is to avoid drinking. The first year of my recovery, I was diagnosed with an early stage kidney cancer. I got through it just fine, and that was 25 years ago, but I remember thinking, "Is this what I get for sobering up?" Just remember that the two things have no relationship to each other.[/QUOTE]

Yeah my brain has a weird way of putting things together that don’t go together lol.
Old 08-26-2021, 06:21 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Administrator

Jillian, 11 days of sobriety is great. And, all your plans for staying on-course sound really good. Allowing some time for yourself is so important. And, be sure to appreciate how far you've come.

I'm so glad your son is feeling better. High fevers in kids are scary. I hope you feel better, too.
Old 08-26-2021, 06:49 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=Jillian2563;7689086]Grandma watched my son so I could go to my dr appt. The dr did a nasal endoscopy and saw that my voice box is inflamed. He thinks due to acid reflux, even though I don’t exhibit other regular symptoms such as heartburn or bitter taste. He’s prescribed medication to try to for four weeks and follow up as to whether it’s helped and we can go from there. But his words were that he didn’t see anything too alarming. So that’s good I guess and hope it’s just GERD.

I had the same issue a couple of years ago having lost my voice completely a few months before. I was so concerned the hoarseness I had was related to alcohol consumption. My ENT did the same test as you describe and came up with the same conclusion. I still suffer some with soreness/tightness and some hoarseness but as of now I'm attributing it to a GERD like condition. Mine appears to be more larynx related which the doctor I went to classifies as "silent reflux". Good luck and congratulations on embracing sobriety. I'm just over 3 weeks without wine myself!
Old 08-26-2021, 08:43 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by katlin View Post
I had the same issue a couple of years ago having lost my voice completely a few months before. I was so concerned the hoarseness I had was related to alcohol consumption. My ENT did the same test as you describe and came up with the same conclusion. I still suffer some with soreness/tightness and some hoarseness but as of now I'm attributing it to a GERD like condition. Mine appears to be more larynx related which the doctor I went to classifies as "silent reflux". Good luck and congratulations on embracing sobriety. I'm just over 3 weeks without wine myself!
Ok so I’m not alone! Mine is silent too! I guess it can only get better from here now that I’ve stopped drinking and smoking. 🙂
Old 08-26-2021, 08:57 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

So glad to hear your son is better. Sorry you're feeling off, Jillian.
Old 08-27-2021, 08:07 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Holy cow - I’m two weeks sober today (well on day 14, so if I don’t drink tonight it will be two weeks and I know I won’t drink!)

And everyone is feeling well now too. No more sickness. Must’ve been a 24 hr bug
Old 08-27-2021, 11:59 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jillian2563 View Post
Holy cow - I’m two weeks sober today (well on day 14, so if I don’t drink tonight it will be two weeks and I know I won’t drink!)

And everyone is feeling well now too. No more sickness. Must’ve been a 24 hr bug
congrats Jillian. One foot in front of the other. I'm only 6 1/2 months sober, but something that has helped me tremendously is structure. I make a to do list every day. Even simple things like "take vitamins" make the list. Nothing too overwhelming. I strive for small wins, Because they add up.