Notices

Recovery Without Meetings

Old 08-23-2021, 10:39 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I love meetings and I grow so much from making them a priority in my life. I love the people that I meet, the things I learn, giving back, sharing my story, and staying sober. I do two meetings a week as a matter of routine and I add sometimes when it feels right.

AA for me isn’t as much about staying sober as it used to be. Now it is more about growing as a person and I love the program for that. I don’t have a sponsor at the time and I’m not looking for one. What I am doing now works for me and I couldn’t imagine my life without AA or meetings.

As it relates to you, I’d just say keep an open mind. I have sworn off AA many times in the past because it didn’t “work for me” or I simply wasn’t willing to do all of the things my sponsor asked of me. Today my program is my own and I like it.
Old 08-23-2021, 10:40 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Glad to have you here, Drizzy.
I drank 30 yrs. & in the end I was completely dependent on it - every day drinking. Using just SR & some books I found the strength & motivation to get free. I've been sober for 13 yrs. AA can be a miracle for some, so I respect it greatly.
Congrats on your 10 mos. sober! That's wonderful.
Old 08-23-2021, 04:57 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I used to go to meetings but don't anymore. Anyway, the true AA program is not just attending meetings but working the steps. Or so I've been told.
Old 08-23-2021, 07:43 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

If you work your program on a daily basis and remain honest, open and willing that's a solid program in my experience. If ever you feel it's not enough, AA will be there if you need it.

AA helped get and keep me sober, but that doesn't mean other ways can't be equally effective. The only wrong program is one that leads you back to the jumping off place.
Old 08-24-2021, 10:46 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
G-Woman

As trite as it sounds, there’s no one-size-fits-all method for recovery. If what you’re doing is working, what is there to feel guilty about?

I’ve been sober over two years and I do not attend meetings. I used to go to AA quite frequently, but it did not keep me from drinking. That’s not a knock on meetings - it just wasn’t for me.
Old 08-24-2021, 12:37 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mizz View Post
Your path is yours alone and your sobriety and how you successfully navigate sobriety is yours alone. There are so many different roads to walk as life is not the "one size fits all" kind of thing. I encourage you to stand firm in the decisions that you are making for yourself and to own the power of your life. You are doing well. Keep doing well. Do not let others get into your head about what and how you should or should not be living. YOU GOT THIS! Congrats on your sober time. Keep moving forward!
I agree 100%. This is your life and you're doing great!! Ten months is enough time to see all the positives sobriety has delivered. There's no rehab or AA meetings where I live so SR was it for me. I never posted, just read, because my feelings and experiences were so similar I didn't need to restate others fears or frustrations. Keep doing what you're doing since it seems to be working fine!
Old 08-24-2021, 01:14 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by nez View Post
Going to meetings will not keep me sober. Non-attendance will not get me drunk. The chief danger is what is between my ears. I use many different tools to help me with that danger and they seem to be working.
what tools her ot work for you