Notices

Finally went to the Doctor

Old 08-09-2021, 03:46 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Finally went to the Doctor

I stopped drinking about 80 days ago after 3 decades of drinking in varying degrees of excess, I have written here previously that despite quitting I was not feeling great. I was still tired, headaches in the morning, brain fog, feet that hurt with a pins and needles sensation, aches and pains, exhaustion and a feeing of something like anxiety. I was disappointed that after giving up alcohol I did not feel physically better. I was too scared to go to the Doctor because I was convinced that some of the pain and discomfort I was in would be due to prolonged and excessive drinking, I was particularly convinced that my painful feet were due to nerve damage due to alcohol.

So, I went to the Doctors, finally, convincing myself that I had to. He has never realised or guessed that I was a very heavy drinker, I hid it well I suppose. Even now I could not face telling him so just described in all honesty how I felt but without mentioning the alcohol! He decided to a blood test and I asked him for what - amongst a whole host of stuff he mentioned Liver and kidney function. Today I got the results back.

Astoundingly Liver and Kidney function were fine, But what the tests revealed were an under active thyroid which the GP informed me could be the cause of many of my 'symptoms' - so I have medication to start taking which I will have to take for all time now. But wow, I was so relieved to know I had not damaged myself beyond repair.
I am so very grateful and thankful for this chance, for this gift of health. I never want to wake at 4am in the morning again worrying that my liver is damaged irreparably, scared and ashamed I have let my children down, full of regret for not stopping - alcohol is poison.

Someone mentioned here in desperation drinking Listerine, to me now drinking even my old poison of choice Red wine, would be about as appealing as mouthwash - I hope we all stay sober and learn to love this gift we can give ourselves - it is something wonderful that we need not ask for, it is there for the taking. I thank those that encouraged me to go to the GP it has taken over 2 months but I did go - and it was worth it. I know I have more healing to do - but I can do it knowing my body and mind will and can recover.
Old 08-09-2021, 03:50 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

That’s great. Hopefully the meds work.

The liver is a remarkable organ that does so much and it can heal and get better. Stay diligent and try to eat healthy and exercise.
Old 08-09-2021, 03:57 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Fantastic, take this second chance and run with it, as a lot unfortunately don't get it, you're doing great
Old 08-09-2021, 04:25 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yep.
Old 08-09-2021, 04:55 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks for this post. I've been worried about the damage I've been doing to myself over the years. All my bloodwork looks OK now but....I'm the "anxious type". Comforting to see It's not just me.
Old 08-09-2021, 06:16 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

That's a great relief, dustyfox. I'm so glad you got checked out.
Old 08-09-2021, 06:24 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Glad you got a good report from the doctor.
Old 08-09-2021, 06:24 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Beautiful!! Very similar story here. I was terrified of going to the doctor. I just assumed all my horrible symptoms were alcohol related and that my organs were failing… the health anxiety would drive me to keep drinking.

Eventually though I ended up in the hospital (not alcohol related) for uncontrolled Crohn’s disease.

Now whenever I meet an active alcoholic searching for help, I encourage them to see a doctor. It’s so much better just to know what’s going on and to get the treatment you need.

Hope you get some good treatment and feel better!
Old 08-09-2021, 07:01 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you saw the doc DustyFox
Old 08-09-2021, 07:28 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Its a cold and its a broken hallelujah.

Now you made MY day !!!!

so so happy you are good my friend !!!

XO AO
Old 08-09-2021, 07:54 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Glad you went Dusty, and I bet you are too!

What a great gift…..those good results.
Old 08-10-2021, 04:45 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

What a wonderful update, Dusty! Its so good you went to the doctor and found answers to what has been going on. You are doing so well. Keep on doing well! I am sure in a little time you will be feeling better with the medications.
ROCK ON,, Dusty!
Old 08-10-2021, 05:02 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

This is great news.