Notices

Thoughts of drinking

Old 08-08-2021, 03:44 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I had days I would go buy beer before 8AM, sales start here at 7 AM.

Take it home and slam a whole one. My body would reject it and I threw up in the trash can in the garage. It was horrible.

Remember times like that when your mind wanders and romances you with how nice a glass of champagne would taste. Reprogram your brain to say that it would taste terrible and you would get sick. Like it’s poison.
Old 08-08-2021, 04:05 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Good work posting instead of drinking!

Just that AV begging you back. Don't fall for it. You are in a much better place now
Old 08-08-2021, 04:13 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Thoughts were such a big part of our past. They won't go away, but they can be treated as thoughts, and as such will be harmless and subside. It takes years for them to go away completely. I don't think you are doing anything wrong to have this happen. It's just part of recovery.
Old 08-08-2021, 06:36 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

If a loved one was in an abusive relationship and every day you feared for their life and after trying and failing countless times, they finally got out of the situation. They moved on, started fresh, began to heal and returned to their former self. Then that abusive ex came back saying they had changed, it would be different this time, let's just take it slow and try again...what would you say? Just like in this situation it is perfectly human to forget how bad the bad really was as we get farther from it---that doesn't make it less bad. Toxic is toxic---not by degree.
Old 08-08-2021, 07:11 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

The Big Book of Alcoholics Anonymous tells us that "the main problem of the alcoholic centers in his mind" and that because of our unique mental obsession (fairly described as a form of insanity), we eventually pass "into a state where the most powerful desire to stop drinking is of absolutely no avail." However: There is a solution. Almost none of us liked the self-searching, the leveling of our pride, the confession of shortcomings which the process requires for its successful consummation. But we saw that it really worked in others, and we had come to believe in the hopelessness and futility of life as we had been living it. When, therefore, we were approached by those in whom the problem had been solved, there was nothing left for us but to pick up the simple kit of spiritual tools laid at our feet.

I could not stay sober till I completely committed to the recovery program set forth in Alcoholics Anonymous. Feel free to PM me if you want to chat more about that.

Old 08-08-2021, 03:40 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I had to understand why i wanted to drink and what benefit i thought it would bring to be able to tackle the issues. I could not have done 40 years just thinking i don't drink and that to be enough everytime i thought i could have a couple.