Notices

Tell me to stop.... please

Old 08-08-2021, 01:59 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Tell me to stop.... please

Nine days sober, two days drinking.

I know I need to stop, I need some reinforcement, some support....

If I keep going, things are just going to be sh......, as usual. Two days is not that bad, three is worse, after a week I'm pretty much stuck in the cycle, until I end up in the hospital yet again.

It makes me feel so damn depressed as well... I can't do what I'm supposed to
Old 08-08-2021, 02:34 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi I can relate to that, put the drink down and remember all the crap that this poison brings to our lives, for me I'm sick of being sick, I'm doing an online meeting which is really hitting home to me, you can do this, be strong I am rooting for you 👍
Old 08-08-2021, 03:04 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I go to AA, it's a great support and there are people with all kinds of drinking patterns there. IMO you would benefit by going to some meetings, or on zoom, and listening to see if there are people you identify with in order to get some support. It's very important to get contact with people with your drinking pattern, you can get some general support from people who have drunk differently to you but that will not scratch the surface compared to someone who has really been in your shoes, e.g. has had bouts of being hospitalised etc.
Old 08-08-2021, 10:19 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I googled zoom meetings here, and yea, they exist. You've not necessarily got to say anything though, right? Until you maybe feel comfortable to.

Anyways, thanks... haven't been drinking today.... not only because of your replies, but also as I'm supposed to go back to work tomorrow (in addition to what I already mentioned, it's just destructive).
Old 08-08-2021, 10:26 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

You don't have to say anything or be seen, you can just listen, sometimes I share sometimes I listen good luck 👍
Old 08-08-2021, 10:49 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Polaroid - You know it only leads to misery & regret. Every time. I wish it hadn't taken me so long to admit that. I was always looking for the fun it once was - but I'd crossed over the line from social drinking to dependence. No going back for us.
Congrats on not drinking today. We know you can get free.
Old 08-08-2021, 02:25 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Yes, jump on a zoom recovery meeting! There are lots! You can just kick back in your comfy armchair with a cup of tea or curl up in bed with the lights off and just listen. It's so helpful to be held by a community of people with the same goal, even if you don't say anything and just listen.
Old 08-08-2021, 02:29 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
p***enger

When I stopped, I'd come to visualize alcohol as a living enemy to my body and mind -- one I *hated* and desperately wanted to flee. I don't think that's consistent with any support programs I know of, but pure hatred and revolt against the demon alcohol -- not kidding -- got me through the first week of withdrawal -- that & SR & AA.
Old 08-08-2021, 02:34 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Polaroid - It's hard I know to imagine you can beat this addiction to drinking - but you can - I did - I drank in varying amounts for 3 decades - I mean pretty much every day. Just take it one day at a a time if that makes it more manageable and the days become weeks, and it does , really does get that bit easier. And you can start to feel like you have your LIFE back.
Old 08-08-2021, 02:39 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I found two AA zoom meetings that meet continuously 24 hours a day 7 days a week. You can find them here:

24/7 Meetings (flying-sober.com)

If you want to be anonymous that's Ok because both meetings usually have 40+ people on them so you can just sit back and quietly listen and watch.

I just checked now and 72 people on the 319 meeting and 129 people on the Marathon NZ meeting. Very easy to be anonymous.
Old 08-08-2021, 03:44 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Polaroid View Post
I googled zoom meetings here, and yea, they exist. You've not necessarily got to say anything though, right? Until you maybe feel comfortable to.

Anyways, thanks... haven't been drinking today.... not only because of your replies, but also as I'm supposed to go back to work tomorrow (in addition to what I already mentioned, it's just destructive).
You haven't got to say anything. You have nothing to lose from jumping on a zoom meeting.
Old 08-08-2021, 04:30 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Our telling you to stop drinking won't do much. You have to tell yourself to stop, and mean it.
Old 08-08-2021, 05:34 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by courage2 View Post
When I stopped, I'd come to visualize alcohol as a living enemy to my body and mind -- one I *hated* and desperately wanted to flee. I don't think that's consistent with any support programs I know of, but pure hatred and revolt against the demon alcohol -- not kidding -- got me through the first week of withdrawal -- that & SR & AA.
I really like that idea. I took it on as a challenge. Like I might do with a new hobby or sport. I knew it was a hard thing to do and I wanted to prove I could do it. I made it personal, because it is.

You have to just NOT drink no matter how bad you want to. Keep doing that for a few weeks and it will start becoming more an more easier and better for you. Ta hell with booze, its a lame thing to do everyday.