Notices

Peaks and Valleys and Sobriety

Old 08-05-2021, 05:36 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Peaks and Valleys and Sobriety

Life does certainly have its peaks and valleys. The one thing I have noticed with sobriety is there is a lack of internal chaos as I get more and more time sober. There is a leveling and a foundation that feels stable and secure as I navigate the world, my work, and my personal life. Problems come and go but I stay in the place of "What is the solution?"

When I quit drinking I was so crippled by anxiety, I truly thought I was going to be on that hamster wheel for the remainder of my days. Just anxious and worried and overwhelmed and manic. It has taken me months to figure out how to squelch the inner world and be at ease. The days are brighter, smoother, happier and full. Very full. Happily full. The months of finding tools and seeing the chaos through allowed me to gain a new perspective. I am so happy to be here now. Fresh faced. Energetic. Strong. Capable. Level. Unwavering. Even the bad days, or just recently some weird funk I was in, are very much worth going through sober. The hamster wheel has not left my inner world but I find I am responding less and less to it. That is the goal. I don't expect perfection or for me to be a completely different person. A little self awareness goes a long long way.

If you are in the early days and struggling please know that you will get better. The work is hard. The work is life changing. The work is a GIFT. We certainly do not see it that way in the beginning. Climbing Mt. Everest is not for the weak. Keep climbing but do not be defeated. Keep moving forward in the solution. I cant wait to see what another 10 months of freedom will give. The excitement is palpable.

Thank You, SR! You are a part of the daily structure and I am GRATEFUL!

Old 08-05-2021, 05:57 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Its a cold and its a broken hallelujah.

Beautiful....

You are one of my inspirations. Thank you for sharing this Mizz
Old 08-05-2021, 07:21 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks Mizz. Your words are so uplifting and reveal the colors of the landscape ahead, which are much brighter and more vibrant!
Old 08-05-2021, 07:43 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Congrats on 10 months!

i felt FREE in five months, when I quit in 2018 for over a year.

i know where I went wrong. I think that’s the ticket in staying sober.

As a well respected member her says on their signature line “sobriety is mental”.

Thanks for the great post
Old 08-05-2021, 09:11 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Beautiful Mizz. Thank you for sharing. It's amazing that the old trope "it keeps getting better" comes true the deeper we get into sobriety.
Old 08-05-2021, 10:49 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Mizz, this is a great post. I agree with you completely. So many of us are afraid to stop drinking because we cannot imagine dealing with life without alcohol. The reality is that we can find healthy ways to deal with the ups and downs and it's so much better than dealing with alcoholism.
Old 08-05-2021, 11:11 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Great post!! Thank you for sharing your wisdom and congratulations on your sober time 🙏
Old 08-05-2021, 11:50 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I also discovered the more I keep moving (walking, light exercise, minor work around the house, some yard work), the better I feel most days and sleep a bit better too.

That, along with cutting down the sugar and heavy carbs, the bad days don’t seem to hit me as hard anymore.
Old 08-05-2021, 12:04 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Mizz, what a beautiful and heartfelt post. I am so happy for you and for your happiness and calming focus and stability and strength you are finding in your sober life. I agree you are also one of my inspirations and I always learn and 'feel' something from your posts here on the forum.

If you are in the early days and struggling please know that you will get better. The work is hard. The work is life changing. The work is a GIFT. We certainly do not see it that way in the beginning. Climbing Mt. Everest is not for the weak. Keep climbing but do not be defeated. Keep moving forward in the solution.
These words can never be said enough, I am always happy when the members here post these words. There is that void in the early weeks, month(s) where I know for myself I stand at the crossroads crying, not knowing why I should keep going when I can just turnaround and go back, but also knowing that going back is going to hurt me. There is that thought at that crossroad of hard times in the early weeks in when proof is needed, and belief is needed that there is a better life out there, to keep on that road and don't give up.

Having someone, out in the distance waving to us to come on over and pointing forward to a happier way, a better future, gives us determination and that caring extended arm to hold on to.

So glad you posted.

Old 08-06-2021, 04:55 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mizz View Post

When I quit drinking I was so crippled by anxiety, I truly thought I was going to be on that hamster wheel for the remainder of my days. Just anxious and worried and overwhelmed and manic.
I think those days were amongst the worst of my life. Looking back, it was a week or two, but at the time I too thought it had set in for life. Scary to look back, but things have certainly improved since. You’re Doug great, Mizz.
Old 08-06-2021, 12:09 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I loved this Mizz and I really needed to read it today. Thank you! ❤️
Old 08-06-2021, 04:00 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Mizz, thank you for your inspirational post.