Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Newcomers it’s tough in the beginning, (it’s supposed to be)

Notices

Old 06-03-2021, 07:39 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

3yrs 7months tomorrow. I was talking to a guy who was trying to get sober today , sharing how I felt in the beginning.
I’m 57 yrs old drank for a long time alcohol was my life. It worked for a long time until it didn’t. Not going to lie I had a lot of good times but in the end there was nothing. My alcoholism was my leave me alone disease and at the end I was alone. I was still married w/ kids living in my house but I didn’t care about anything or any one.
My last drunk was just like the thousands before, just drunk that was it.
Woke up the next morning went to an AA meeting don’t know why I just did. (Not pushing AA whatever works for you). I didn’t drink that day , continued with meetings didn’t drink, strong cravings everyday . Trying to keep busy , walking my dogs sometimes going to bed when it was still light out just to end the day. Going to meetings everyday hearing the message not really buying it but I wasn’t drinking. I felt alone frustrated, angry, self pity the whole gamut . I ended up going to the bar occasionally playing quick draw, playing some horses. Drinking club soda. Drinking friends there it was boring and draining. My refuge was gone something had to give. I had to change my life. The old ways didn’t work and i was afraid , Next day went to my meeting and decided I’m giving this 100%.
Got a sponsor went thru the steps , it works for me. There are other programs, find one or a support group that works for you.
The first 8 months were hell for me sometimes the only good thing I did during the day was not drink. If you keep at it there is a light at the end of the tunnel and it’s not a train.
I have trouble relaying how stayed sober in words . It’s hard for me to convey it. Gonna start to get involved here again maybe I can help someone in my convoluted way. My life is so much better than it was 3 1/2 yrs ago I wouldn’t have believed it but it’s true
Old 06-03-2021, 07:47 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

(((Kdon))) Big congrats on 3 yrs and 7 months! I had a rocky beginning too, but it smoothed out a lot when I started practicing gratitude every day.

Old 06-03-2021, 08:00 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats KDon

Yes, however hard it is initially, it's worth it

D
Old 06-03-2021, 08:55 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Amazing post. Congratulations and thank you for sharing your story.
Old 06-03-2021, 11:42 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

That was a good post. I just made a little over a year and things have gotten more difficult. But hearing these types of recovery stories keeps me motivated. There will be good days and bad days but as long as you stay sober you know you are truly enjoying the good days.
Old 06-03-2021, 11:56 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Congrats!
Old 06-04-2021, 12:20 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 3 years 7 months Kdon, that's an awesome achievment 😃. Thank you for such a great post, perseverence rules!
Old 06-04-2021, 03:23 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Great post Kdon and congratulations on the 3 years and 7 months. I especially liked the part where you said you went to AA and didn't know why! I'm sure you do now
Old 06-04-2021, 03:46 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Rar

Thank you for your helpful post Kdon. I’m looking forward to your future posts. Congrats on your 3 yr 7 mos sobriety. Awesome!
Old 06-04-2021, 05:34 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Wonderful post!
AMAZING work on your recovery from active alcoholism!
I am proud of you. I do hope to see you around more.
Old 06-04-2021, 05:40 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Congrats! I went to AA meetings in those first few months, too. There is some amount of comfort that comes from just suiting up and showing up, ya know? I also posted every day in my Class Of March thread here on this site.

Nice to see you're doing well.