Notices

15 min into it. and my problems were gone...

Old 05-24-2021, 01:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

15 min into it. and my problems were gone...

Haha, a bike ride, not a beer. But seriously, I wanted to mention to those newcomers who are still experiencing a lot of anxiety or concerns - nothing works better to calm the mind, or refocus our thoughts, than a good workout. It can turn onto a flow experience that takes us out of those excessive worries and concerns, thus it can be very beneficial, especially if we tend to obsess over things, as I do sometimes.

When I left the house this morning I had a several issues weighing me down. Problems that need to be worked out, some big, some little. A couple bigger decisions to make.. As I rolled down the hill there were a couple things in particular I was thinking about. But after I got home a couple of hours and 32 miles later, I realized the last time any of it entered my mind was about mile 3. After that the ride took over. The flowing pavement under my wheels, the flowering saguaro cactus, the cadence of my breathing, and even that last dastardly climb back up to my house.

It was only as I was stretching afterwards that I remembered I had some things I needed to think about, lol. So there you go. Happy and calm and clear headed.. no meds required. There are also many recent studies that indicate hard exercise can also help the brain recover faster, probably due to all the increased oxygen and blood flow. What is good for the heart is generally good for the brain. I have found that I get the same effect with yoga, if it is a hard session. Make the effort if you can, the payoff is worth it.
Old 05-24-2021, 01:19 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

What a great reminder advbike, thank you. I have learned from experience, over time, and exercise is great for shutting up the AV during moments of stress. By the time I'm done, no more AV. And I appreciate the info about the possibility of the brain recovering faster; another good motivation to get moving!
Old 05-24-2021, 01:20 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I don't ride a bike anymore, nor do strenuous exercise, but I look forward to my walks with Billie every day. The exercise, fresh air, and sunshine do wonders to clear and refresh my mind. I always feel better after we've gone for a walk. And not least, I get such a kick out of watching her nose at work. We walk slowly and stop often so she can check her peemail.

Old 05-24-2021, 01:26 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hahaha.. peemail, not email..
Old 05-24-2021, 02:01 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks Adbike! I just recently bought a beach cruiser for the summer 🏖🌞 I agree that the exercise does produce a satisfying high unmatched by alcohol, and wont leave you feeling like crap the next day 😁

Much success on your journey of sobriety 👍🏾🙏🏾
Old 05-24-2021, 02:12 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

So true Advbike.
When I go out on my road bike I love the feeling of freedom. I always feel better after a nice ride. Unfortunately I don't get lots of extra time to do it at the moment. If I do get time my kids want to ride with me but then we go slower and around 7-10 miles instead of 40. Still fun though. Hope to get out there soon.
Old 05-24-2021, 02:18 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Introvrtd1 View Post
Thanks Adbike! I just recently bought a beach cruiser for the summer 🏖🌞 I agree that the exercise does produce a satisfying high unmatched by alcohol, and wont leave you feeling like crap the next day 😁

Much success on your journey of sobriety 👍🏾🙏🏾
Enjoy that beach cruiser Introvrtd! Sounds like fun in the sun.

Btw, you're doing great with your sobriety program and all the walking you're getting in too. Great job!
Old 05-24-2021, 02:21 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FiveX View Post
So true Advbike.
When I go out on my road bike I love the feeling of freedom. I always feel better after a nice ride. Unfortunately I don't get lots of extra time to do it at the moment. If I do get time my kids want to ride with me but then we go slower and around 7-10 miles instead of 40. Still fun though. Hope to get out there soon.
Right on Five.. I get the thing with the kids, both the lack of time and the pace they go at. Happened to me with my gf's son after I bought him a bike. For time, sometimes we have to actually schedule these things. Put it on your work calendar as a client meeting, haha. Maybe you can get in a hard ride on Thursday or Friday and then on Sat or Sun go with them as a recovery ride of sorts. Keep up the good work Five.
Old 05-24-2021, 04:09 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

That is awesome. I love sober activities that get the good feeling Brain working. I get the same feeling from working out or sparring. Everything goes away it's just about that present moment no stress no anxiety nothing but pure relaxing good vibes. I have to use a timer when I workout cause I love it so much I don't know when to stop. Especially leg days lol
Old 05-24-2021, 05:37 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

That's awesome Sticky. I think your sparring must be super intense, and I agree on the gym workouts. It just feels so good once we make the effort to get started. Keep up the great work!
Old 05-24-2021, 06:05 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by advbike View Post
That's awesome Sticky. I think your sparring must be super intense, and I agree on the gym workouts. It just feels so good once we make the effort to get started. Keep up the great work!
Not to bad for the sparring I had a good group of guys. No ego trying to knock each other's head off. Just good ol training. I never had a motorcycle but I used to ride dirt bikes and scooters. I think I'm watching too much Mayans the tv show. I would like a Harley or one of those stretched out bikes. That would be nice. But where I live it would be stop light to stop light not very long of a cruise. Stay safe
Old 05-24-2021, 07:38 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Samantha

I'm glad this works for you .
I work out 2-3 times a day and it just simply does not work on my anxiety.
but, I still do it in an attempt to keep my body healthy.
Old 05-24-2021, 10:08 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Sorry to hear that AR. That's an amazing level of training! You must be very fit!
Old 05-25-2021, 07:52 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I do find that exercise relieves the busy brain, anxiety and gives me a sense of grounding before I set about to conquer the day.

Self care is so essential. I also find that most problems tend to work themselves out. The answers come with time and with action. We all have the answers to our situation. Some decisions or problems are just harder to make or solve. I have the attitude that I will not be defeated. I will win. I will find the answer and I will conquer the situation.

We are lions.

I really like how you know that exercise is a remedy to our overactive brains. A remedy for a lot of things. It is my medicine. It is your medicine. Its a powerful medicine that I do not take for granted.
Old 05-25-2021, 07:59 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

I walk/hike and I find the combination of the exercise and nature always soothes me. I'm glad you're doing well advbike.
Old 05-25-2021, 09:04 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I love walking too.....I find that there is a point after a few miles, where my brain switched off and I am just really present. I think fresh air is a bit part of it. Big lungfuls of fresh air!! Swimming pools are open now, so that is next on the list of stuff to go back to x
Old 05-25-2021, 11:03 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thanks, Advbike. Here in year 2 and trying to find some balance. I feel like working out and getting that adrenaline rush is key for me. Most important ingredient for me is music. When I'm going, I don't want to stop.

HOWEVER, most days I can't seem to get myself going.

Oh this is so much like when I drank and wanted to stop. The thought of stopping was always there but I just couldn't do it..until I had a plan and a commitment to stick with that plan. So I know what I have to do...make a new plan.

To anyone in the early days or still trying to stop, I want you to know that alcohol doesn't have its grips on me anymore. I don't feel like I'm missing out on anything in my life. I am FREE to work on other life challenges. I'm growing now and you will too as a sober person.
Old 05-25-2021, 11:27 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mizz View Post
Self care is so essential. I also find that most problems tend to work themselves out. The answers come with time and with action. We all have the answers to our situation. Some decisions or problems are just harder to make or solve. I have the attitude that I will not be defeated. I will win. I will find the answer and I will conquer the situation.
I love your attitude Mizz! As you point out though, at some point action is usually required, this is often where I fail. I know what to do, but if the decision might cause other people to be hurt or disappointed I sometimes struggle to follow through. I love that you are a person of action, haha.

Originally Posted by Mizz View Post
I really like how you know that exercise is a remedy to our overactive brains. A remedy for a lot of things. It is my medicine. It is your medicine. Its a powerful medicine that I do not take for granted.
It absolutely is my medicine. No situation or problem is ever as bad after a run, bike ride or workout. Works without fail for me.
Old 05-25-2021, 11:40 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sober45 View Post
When I'm going, I don't want to stop.

HOWEVER, most days I can't seem to get myself going.
Hi Sober, I think you're doing great! I also struggle sometimes to get out the door or start a workout. One thing really helps me, especially when I lived where it was cold. I found that if I didn't feel like going for a run or a walk, to go just for 20 minutes. That's it. I would tell myself that I would only go for 20 min and be done. But EVERY TIME I would end up going longer, because as you say - once you start you don't want to stop. So I was simply tricking myself.. and it worked. Repeatedly. Sometimes even now when cycling I plan for only an hour to get myself out the door but end up doing an hour and a half or two hours. Just a thought - might work for you too!
Old 05-25-2021, 11:49 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Any exercise is great, a walk will do just as much good. Just get out there and go along at your own speed and fitness level. Take it slow at the beginning.