Notices

Day 361

Old 05-10-2021, 12:30 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 361

Today I work on day 361

My year is just around the corner but I still focus on 1 day at a time. Which is one of the many reasons that I been blessed with these much days in recovery today. Everyday in the right direction is a accomplishment in my recovery plan. And yet in this present moment I can't help but think of what the future holds for me. Being sober I know there will be many opportunities available then I was when I was using. Over the year I worked on alot of self care and staying disciplined on breaking bad habits I have accumulated over the that was toxic to my health. I have a pretty healthy routine that I do that has been keeping me sober , eating healthy, working out, reading spending time out doors. And these are very good tools in my recovery but I am looking for more. I see that my weakness is social interaction since the covid-19 lock down. I'm not much of a social media person. Any ideas would be helpful. Thanks
Old 05-10-2021, 12:40 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Almost there Sticky!! 😁😁😁
Old 05-10-2021, 12:53 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congratulations, Sticky.

I'm not doing much at the moment outside of dealing with my daughter's health crisis. Like yourself, I'm looking for things to do, to occupy my mind. I went and saw 'Nobadland' the other day. A great movie. Had lunch in the city. There's a link here with a list of things we might do. Check it out.

I think its good you dont don't use social media, it does my head in. I scroll through some of the nature sites and look at all the amazing things animals do, Octopi are incredible. The birds too.

Old 05-10-2021, 02:00 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats on 361.

not sure what you see as your ‘weakness’ with social interaction SO. I think most people’s social interaction is way down - at least in my age group.

But when it comes back I’ll remember what I’ve learned - i’m just not that social-and it’s okay

I’m a homebody and any gatherings over and above a few people make me uncomfortable.
I’m not at ease meeting new people.

That’s me.
But trying to drink myself sociable never worked.

I’m at ease with who I am - and that my unease in social occasions is getting better.
I can relax after a while and even have a good time, sober.

Unease is better than the terror I used to have

D

Old 05-10-2021, 02:30 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Fantastic job on the year Sticky.. really awesome! And yeah, social media is just inanity and brain manipulation - death by algorithm.

I'm very social, but at a casual level only. In other words, I'm pretty friendly, and have no problems talking to people in elevators, on the street, in shops, etc. Saw a pretty girl today on my bike ride and chatted her up for a few secs. That sort of thing I enjoy. But anything more than that brings on the anxiety, much less letting people get close. That's where the barriers are. But that being said, I really enjoy being out and about and making these more superficial interactions. It fulfills my need for contact, and then I have a few neighbors that I socialize with a couple times a month, and my few close friends that really know me. And my GF when I'm there of course.

My ridiculously long-winded point being - figure out what you need, then go after it. Pre Covid I spent a lot of time in coffee shops where I could get a lot of casual interaction. They are returning now. Obviously pubs serve the same purpose but that's probably not a good idea. How about the library, bookstores (great for meeting people), and clubs of various sorts. We have Sierra Club and other nature groups here, and cycle clubs, where it's easy to meet people. I assume of course that you've gotten the jab.. that would be a prereq for all of this.

Keep up all the great work, man. I think you're doing great.
Old 05-10-2021, 03:39 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you all for the support. Since I've been in recovery I've cut alot of people out my life that were very toxic for me. After some thinking about it. I am happy with the people I have in my life know but I would like to meet more people. They don't have to be in recovery just have a passion about being mentally and physically healthy. I tend to gravitate to older people because of the knowledge and life experiences they have.
Old 05-10-2021, 03:40 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Congrats on almost a year. For me year one was about staying sober but now in year 2 it’s about balance and finding more. I want to feel passionate about life.

For me, I’m zoning in on physical fitness... like off the charts level because just in saying that, I get a rise. Whatever I choose it has to be results based because when I see something for my efforts I feel good.

I don’t like social gatherings at all they drain me emotionally. It’s common. Why else would 80% of the population choose to drink at social events? In Canada anyway.

This is still early days and who knows what lies ahead. Maybe we’ll turn into social butterflies. All cards are on the table I say