Notices

What gets better when you get sober

Old 04-22-2021, 07:49 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What gets better when you get sober

I will have three years sober coming up on June 2. This was my second round of sobriety. In 2009 I was getting a divorce and got a dui, went to rehab and stayed sober for 13 months. Nine years later- enough was enough- rehab again.
What is different this time? #1 is step 1- I finally admitted I was just an alcoholic like everyone else- not different or special just because I’m in A good spot financially and job- I would be living under a bridge alone- it woulda been a matter of time.
I have noticed so many things that are so much better- primarily AA taught be how to quit drinking- now it has taught be how to live.
I don’t get aggravated or let things bother me like I did. I was sick/ hungover all the time- I have not been sick the entire time I have been sober. Sleep- it was a constant pass out- wake up three hours later tossing and turning- I now sleep HARD for 6-8 hours dreaming (good REM sleep). All the BS about friends not wanting to be around- here is a little secret- nobody cares that you don’t drink. I have friends that still drink, but I’m not missing out on anything at all. Many are curious and seem to envy my sobriety. Better relationships with wife and kids. I can actually go out for something in the evening without being dui. I gained 30 pounds that I needed (I was drinking too many meals).
Anyhow- I coild type all night- but literally every single element of my life is 100x better. If you can image things will be better when you get sober- think big of how good it will be- and rest assured it will be even much better.
Put in the effort- it pays off and you will wake up one morning a few month in with the wind in your back and it will be the best thing you have ever done and you will wonder why you didn’t do it sooner!
Old 04-22-2021, 09:14 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I’m happy for you!. Stay focused on your sobriety man! I’m taking mine day by day and I desire just to be at piece again. Dwi’s have been my downfall. Bad decisions I continually make when I’m out drinking. Keep yourself safe!
Old 04-22-2021, 11:14 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congratulations on your sober time!! That’s a great milestone.

My life has improved dramatically since I got sober. Most days I feel good too now.
Old 04-23-2021, 03:05 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Congrats on your sober time.
Everything got better or at least it did for me.
Old 04-23-2021, 04:13 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

It is nice to give the real me a chance to live.

The drug induced me was making a mess of things most of the time.

The real me keeps things in order.

Routine, calm, cool, patient, fun, attentive, diligent etc etc.

My perception is my reality.

As we were designed.

I just woke from a dream I was late for work. I kept trying to check the schedule on my phone.

In my dream I told someone, my phone is acting up, it only does that when I am dreaming. Lol!

Love love love.

Thanks.
Old 04-23-2021, 05:49 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Congratulations🥳🥳🥳

What got better for me, I'm no particular order:

Sleep, relationships, my mothering skills, my internal organs especially my brain, my morals, my health, my fitness levels, my diet (eventually!) , my work life, self care, spending money, my.patience, tolerance and compassion, my temper, my self respect and my dignity.

I don't think there is one thing that has not improved since I stopped drinking alcohol.

I love being sober and wouldnt change it for the world!
Old 04-23-2021, 04:28 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

and I dont know about you guys but my bank account loves the sober me.
Old 04-23-2021, 04:52 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on three years sober!

My life is so much better sober. I don't wake up feeling awful and hating myself anymore. I don't constantly feel despair and doom. I take much better care of myself and my dog and cats. And I'm ready for any occurrence as I'm always clear headed.

Yes, sober is a thousand times better. My worst day sober is better than my best day drunk.
Old 04-23-2021, 06:24 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Among many other things, focus and energy! Goodbye to those bleary-eyed Monday mornings trying to get my head wrapped around the work week - yeesh.
Old 04-23-2021, 08:38 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Free time. Much more time to get things done instead of obsessing about drinking. Yay!
Old 04-24-2021, 05:13 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Everything is better, but since I've been sober have not lost my wallet, or had to cancel, then replace credit cards, etc. Such a drag, particularly with a hangover. Sometimes too sick to even care.
Old 04-24-2021, 05:29 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thank you for the positive post.
Yes, life does get better in every way imaginable when sober. If we put in the work to better in our lives we really can create a life that is full and rewarding. Raising our life condition is so important. Our thoughts play a huge role in our reality.
Keep on moving forward! Thank you for being here.
Old 04-24-2021, 07:26 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

What gets better when you get sober?

Pretty much everything
Old 04-25-2021, 07:56 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Today:
The bad things are tolerable.
The good things are really good.

In contrast to my drinking days:
The bad things were the end of the world.
The good things were tolerable.

There was no really good when I was drinking. And there was rarely any good at all. Just a constant feeling of impending doom.
Old 04-25-2021, 11:00 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Living sober means I can take my dog for a walk any time cause I'm never too drunk or sick to walk her.