Notices

Update from Paddy123 day 59 poison free

Old 04-14-2021, 12:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Paddy123

Update from Paddy123 day 59 poison free

Hi everyone,
Just a quick update, now on day 59 poison free, if you remember I had the liver pain and all the worry that went with tests and scans etc., well pain in liver all gone now, and actually think I got it lifting a heavy bag of coal while drunk and pulled a muscle, I didn't feel the pain until sobered up weeks later... I'm currently now working in Libya in North Africa, its a strict Muslim Country so no alcohol possible, so if you want to keep your head....no alcohol, not for sale here either so no triggers while in shops here My head is now clear and the brain fog has lifted in the last week. My sleep quality is now restored and I'm feeling good. Eating well and walking every day for 30 minutes. Slight PAWS periodically but easing as time goes on. Thanks for all your support earlier in the year in my time of need, good luck to everyone, it can be done. God Bless You all.
Old 04-14-2021, 12:08 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Nice going Paddy!!
Old 04-14-2021, 12:35 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congratulations Paddy.
Old 04-14-2021, 12:36 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's good to hear from you, Paddy, and I'm glad you're doing so well.
Old 04-14-2021, 01:17 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Paddy123

Thanks Anna, feeling Good and Happy with my new clear head Looking forward to my future poison free
Old 04-14-2021, 01:42 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Well done Paddy

D
Old 04-14-2021, 01:51 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

That's great news paddy happy for you 😀
Old 04-14-2021, 04:09 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Congratulations Paddy! Sleep quality, now there's a thing! Encouraging to hear the brain fog lifts too.
Old 04-14-2021, 04:27 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Good job!
Old 04-15-2021, 01:38 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Working in Libya sounds scary to me. You are adventurous?

Things only got better as the clean days clicked up.

Being a drunk was a learned behavior that has been unlearned. That only takes a month to do.

Now never drinking again is my new lifestyle.

I hate the stuff. But, the crave still lurks. My sober training from SR, AA, and the www keep me straight.

My hell on earth lasted well over 3 years.

I am heavily kindled and would surely go mad if I relapsed.

Thanks.
Old 04-15-2021, 03:00 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Congratulations Paddy, and I would think it would be considered polite not to get drunk when visiting a Muslim country. So there's that too.
Old 04-15-2021, 11:58 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Paddy123

Hi everyone thanks for all your responses. Yes many people said I was mad coming to work here. But I love the Arab culture and Roman history here in North Africa. No bars here so no temptation..I've forgotten all about the poison but do have minor PAWs symptoms...I'm putting that down to being around my 60 days clean. I speak much Arabic from years working in Morocco Saudi and Qatar. There is a ceasefire on here and elections in December....my projects are in middle of Sahara but based in capital... there are a few irish here teaching in biggest school in Tripoli as they follow the Irish curriculum here... strange I know..I meet up for dinner at weekends...they mostly drink coffee here but I'm a green tea man.. no Guinness here. All good and with modern technology talk to family every day. That's all for now folks. Good luck everyone with your sober journey. Trust me it's worth it. God Bless.
Old 04-15-2021, 12:01 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Paddy123

Update from North Africa

Hi everyone thanks for all your responses. Yes many people said I was mad coming to work here. But I love the Arab culture and Roman history here in North Africa. No bars here so no temptation..I've forgotten all about the poison but do have minor PAWs symptoms...I'm putting that down to being around my 60 days clean. I speak much Arabic from years working in Morocco Saudi and Qatar. There is a ceasefire on here and elections in December....my projects are in middle of Sahara but based in capital... there are a few irish here teaching in biggest school in Tripoli as they follow the Irish curriculum here... strange I know..I meet up for dinner at weekends...they mostly drink coffee here but I'm a green tea man.. no Guinness here. All good and with modern technology talk to family every day. That's all for now folks. Good luck everyone with your sober journey. Trust me it's worth it. God Bless.
Old 04-15-2021, 02:08 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I wonder how they came to following the irish curriculum there?
Old 04-15-2021, 04:09 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

That’s brilliant news, Paddy! 59 days plus all of Ramadan in Libya I guess will make it nearly 90 days before you know it. Like all of us, you need to take care, but it sounds like you’ve quit for good insha Allah as they say out there
Old 04-15-2021, 08:16 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Good job on 60 days sober Paddy! Keep going cause it gets better.
Old 04-16-2021, 01:48 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Well done mate, keep it going..
Old 04-16-2021, 03:00 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Paddy123

Yes overthepanic, good question indeed. I met am Irish teacher from Tipperary last week and she drove me around city showing me the sights. I forgot to ask her the history why the Irish curriculum is here. She was telling me that her job is to include say for history lessons some Libyan history in their curriculum but they still learn Irish History/geography etc...same with all sublects and also she has to check that there is no conflict in the curriculum between Muslin ethics and the Irish Christian curriculum. Like say in a novel in the English curriculum. I will advise soon.
Old 04-16-2021, 03:12 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Paddy123

HI Hodd good to hear from you. Yes Ramadan here now. 60 days today and a few PAWs issues today, wolly head, head ache, woke up at 4am and couldn't get back to sleep for hours. Thank God or Thank Allah here its Friday and day off to chill out. Yes 90 days when Ramadan over and never want to go through this protracted withdrawal again. Its really stupid when you think about it. We pay money to screw up our brain?? Thats not very clever!! Talk soon ...Salam
Old 04-16-2021, 08:26 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I was a teacher years ago in Morocco. I drunk quite a lot back then, but probably not quite at alcoholic levels. I certainly didn’t let Ramadan get in the way of my drinking although if I had a few days off I wasn’t overly affected.

I’ve lived in a few countries and have to say the Maghreb region didn’t really do it for me. I don’t speak the languages which didn’t help!

Yes, it’s an anxious and frustrating few months in early withdrawal, but I reckon I was fully OK - no aches and pain and a lot less cravings - after about six months.