Notices

Sober Friends

Old 03-15-2021, 12:02 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sober Friends

I'm seven months in to sobriety and, having lost my dad recently to liver issues, I know that this is the way forward for me.

I've found a lot of tools that help me stay sober - books, podcasts, exercise, eating right - one thing I'm struggling with though it friendships and I think it's the biggest threat to my sobriety.

I suppose like most drinkers a lot of my friendships revolved around going out for drinks and I don't really know how to keep those relationships going or if I even want to.

Obviously sites like this are hugely helpful to get a sense of community but I could still do with finding sober people locally.

Just wondered if anybody has any thoughts on this or on continuing friendships with old drinking buddies?

Old 03-15-2021, 01:16 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Jim
I found I reconnected with alot of old friends who weren't heavy drinkers and who I'd naturally drifted away from, or them from me. I also got back into hobbies and met new friends that way?

All this was pre COVID of course but I believe things will surely get better soon.

D
Old 03-15-2021, 02:36 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

My old good friends are still my friends. I am the only one the quit drinking. Most of the older ones claim to hardly drink at all. I can't relate to that.

As an addict for life, I know that if the door is open to me for drinking, i might have 1 drink here and there, but soon enough, I would drink nearly a whole bottle of something and that would nearly kill me.

I tried AA friends, but I was having a difficult time with that. AA seemed to take over everything, which is better than relapsing, but not better than doing other things if I can stay sober without AA.

Love love love.

Thanks.
Old 03-15-2021, 02:49 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm in my first month of sobriety, and just wanted to post to say awesome work on getting sober, and staying sober for 7 months. I can relate about finding sober friends... I'm trying AA, and I'm obviously on here. Chat any time!
Old 03-15-2021, 07:24 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks everybody. Some great tips.

I'm considering giving AA a shot but am really unsure about it. Suppose I don't have anything to lose by going to a meeting though, right?

Old 03-15-2021, 07:31 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Good work on 7 months!
Being in England it is harder to meet folks due to restrictions I am sure but once I got sober and started changing to fit that lifestyle and being more open and honest People just started to come around. I have never made more friends in such a short period of time. All without trying.

Be a good person and you will attract good people

Old 03-15-2021, 07:32 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Yes, the friend issue requires some action for many of us. I had to cut some of them off, as they were the wrong thing I needed at the worst time possible. But I didn't have to dump all of my friends. Later on, I found I didn't enjoy being around heavy drinkers because I realized they weren't the fun I thought they were. I did start going to AA, and the friendship there was invaluable, for me, even more important than the program itself. Forums were not around back then. At least I wasn't aware of them, but I think SR would have sufficed nicely.
Old 03-15-2021, 07:39 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I drifted away from the partiers over the years, as too difficult. I still have a few childhood friends and close friends made along the career path and have made some new friends through my avocations such as cycling, motorcycling and travel.
Old 03-15-2021, 12:05 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks again guys.

@fishkiller is definitely right, the restrictions in England definitely make things a lot more difficult at the moment - hopefully things will be opening back up in the next few months though.

Old 03-15-2021, 01:21 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Theres kind of a few paths I take with this one. One is just forcing friends to do non drinking things. I love walks, I love brunch. One is that non drinking people began to appear in my life, and that the people I though I could only hang around with in bars turned out to be functioning human beings (unlike my drinking self) who were very capable of just...hanging out...in a normal way. The third way, which i think can be very dangerous for some but I do now that I have a bit more time behind me, is I go to bars with them If they want.... and I go crazy with my diet cokes. No one seems to mind.