Notices

Told some people I had quit drinking for good.

Old 03-07-2021, 03:22 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Told some people I had quit drinking for good.

So, today I decided to finally tell people I had quit drinking forever. I wanted to wait awhile until I'd gained some confidence in my sobriety before saying anything, I didn't want to make any promises I couldn't keep. So, this was a pretty big moment for me, it felt like I had officially, among the people who love me, know me as an ex alcoholic as opposed to an alcoholic. I don't do the twelve steps, but this felt like a step towards the life I can now see in the distance.
Old 03-07-2021, 03:31 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Itstime - if you don't mind me asking, how did your peeps respond? And how did you share (in person, phone call)? I have yet to cross this bridge and I'd love to learn from you!
Old 03-07-2021, 03:32 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

It is good that you have talked with your family and friends about your discontinuation of alcohol.
We have today for living and doing this next best thing.
Keep on moving forward!
Old 03-07-2021, 03:56 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Well done. I told my friends I’d become alcohol dependent and had decided to quit. They are big drinkers albeit occasionally so, but they were fine with it. I expected humour or jokes, but there was none of that.

They’re more than just drinking buddies, and I’ve known them a long time, and it is important to keep your friends. So don’t keep secrets and tell people you’ve quit and why. As for acquaintances or colleagues, no ones ever asked why I don’t drink. I’d tell them I choose not to for health reasons.

Old 03-07-2021, 04:01 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Your confidence is showing. Good move.
Old 03-07-2021, 04:13 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by RenewalOfLife View Post
Itstime - if you don't mind me asking, how did your peeps respond? And how did you share (in person, phone call)? I have yet to cross this bridge and I'd love to learn from you!
I have a few very close friends who I talk to weekly on Skype, and I Iive with my partner. She asked me a couple of days ago because it's a pretty notable difference when the person you're living with is no longer drunk or hungover over half the time. Really happy, really proud of me, really supportive. I mentioned it to my friends who were respectful about it, some I think were surprised it was still that bad because I became much more private and secretive over the years about my drinking. So very positive, I think there's still a bit of a wait and see attitude from my partner but that is entirely understandable. I don't really have any family and my colleagues are just people I know professionally. So, that is about it. Probably easier because I keep such a small circle, none of whom are big drinkers.
Old 03-07-2021, 04:21 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

So did I....Told my drinking buddies I’ve known since High School and they were very supportive....In fact they told me they were considering cutting back to quitting altogether

Old 03-07-2021, 05:22 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Great job, and a good move for accountability.
Old 03-08-2021, 10:32 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Great job. Yes it is a very big step in recovery telling family and friends that you are not drinking. It is a commitment not only to them but to yourself. Congratulations on this big step towards recovery.