Notices

Want to stop

Old 03-03-2021, 10:22 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Welcome! I’m glad you found SR!

Sounds like you are ready to be done for good. It took me a while to finally get sobriety right, but I am so glad I finally did. I am now five years and two months sober and SR is a big part of that.

Here is what worked for me:
  • Reading and posting on SR daily
  • Getting outdoors for a walk each day, it is a good way to clear your head.
  • Remaining in the present, I have worked on mindfulness techniques to help me with this.
  • Gratitude, always look at things through this lens, no matter how difficult the day there isn’t always something to be grateful for.
  • Reach out for help, that might be on SR, your doctor, a counselor, a recovery group, having a support system really helps.
  • Get rid of any alcohol in your house, and fill your fridge with non-alcoholic drinks you enjoy. I love sparkling waters and green tea.
  • Let go of the past. You cannot change whatever has happened, only learn from it, do not dwell on the could ofs and should ofs.
  • Find something to fill the time you would have spent drinking: read, binge watch a few series, take an online class, paint, draw, exercise, write...
  • Join a few groups on here, the 24 hour thread and the Class of March 2021 are two good starting points.
  • Do not drink no matter what! There is nothing that can be made better with alcohol, and no situation that can’t be made worse with it.
You can do this!!
Old 03-04-2021, 04:12 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Thanks to all of you!
Old 03-04-2021, 04:33 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

How's it going today Lkrzbby? Hope the night wasn't too long.
Old 03-04-2021, 07:44 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Not too bad Surrendered19. Thank you for your support. Best too you!
Old 03-05-2021, 02:21 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Welcome Lkrzbby.
Old 03-05-2021, 03:54 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

SR is a wonderful recovery resource. Keep reading and posting!
Old 03-07-2021, 07:48 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Day 5! Feeling great! On to day 6!
Old 03-07-2021, 09:50 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Well done.
Old 03-08-2021, 05:26 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Fantastic! You're doing great Lkrzbby! Through the worst of the physical withdrawals.

How are you doing today?
Old 03-08-2021, 09:09 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Doing great! Mentally and physically feeling better! Alcohol is truly the devil! Thank you everyone for the support!
Old 03-10-2021, 07:26 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Awesome to hear Lkrzbby! Yes it is haha.

How did it go today? Hoping all is good.
Old 03-11-2021, 03:27 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Thank you advbike! Went good! Day 8 today! Just a day at a time! Hope you are doing well!
Old 03-11-2021, 03:35 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Happy DAY 8!!

That's awesome!! Read on here a lot... look at people's stories.... look up the stories in the personal accounts of the Big Book of AA.... stories of others' journey and being open to the ways in which we're similar to those stories are a really potent tool early on.

Beware the potential for your addictive self to take the wheel and steer you back to the liquor store. These are sensitive days, these early days!

You've got this!

Old 03-11-2021, 05:45 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Fantastic news Lkrzbby! Day 8 is really amazing. You're doing great!

As FreeOwl mentions, the AV gets very sneaky around this time, convincing us that "just a couple" drinks would be fine.. you need to resist that.

Also have you considered joining the March class? It's comprised of others who quit this month, sharing support, tips, and having fun.

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...-part-one.html

So glad to hear you made it past a week!
Old 03-11-2021, 04:57 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats on day 8/9!

D
Old 03-11-2021, 08:25 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Thank you for the support! You are right! Thoughts are coming! I need to block it out!
Old 03-11-2021, 08:38 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Hi Advbike, Dee74, Freeowl! I must be aware of that little voice that says just tonight and then stop. Then the pattern starts all over again. As soon as you start to feel better. Something inside says to destroy it. I read a lot of these posts and I am shocked on how these stories are so similar. I am understanding it now much better. I really thought for awhile I was one of a few who went through these ugly patterns. I wish I had joined SR sooner.

Thanks to everyone who has reached out to me since I joined. I wish everyone here strength and nothing but the best! It will get harder I know. Just need to take it day by day.
Old 03-12-2021, 03:08 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lkrzbby View Post
Hi Advbike, Dee74, Freeowl! I must be aware of that little voice that says just tonight and then stop. Then the pattern starts all over again. As soon as you start to feel better. Something inside says to destroy it. I read a lot of these posts and I am shocked on how these stories are so similar. I am understanding it now much better. I really thought for awhile I was one of a few who went through these ugly patterns. I wish I had joined SR sooner.

Thanks to everyone who has reached out to me since I joined. I wish everyone here strength and nothing but the best! It will get harder I know. Just need to take it day by day.
Hey.... here's another "little voice" you can listen to when that one begins its yammering:

'Sure, you COULD drink "just for tonight and then stop".... and you could keep on doing that. Who knows how long!? Maybe you won't die right away. Or ruin your life in innumerable ways. Maybe you won't suffer. Maybe tomorrow you won't feel deep shame, failure, remorse, agony. Maybe if you JUST TRY A LITTLE HARDER... you can keep right on playing this silly game with a poisonous substance for another few years or even decades. But listen.... listen.... listen now; not to that voice, not to any voice.... but instead to your heart. To the heart in that little YOU who never needed alcohol before that first fateful taste. To the soul that dwells in your heart and in your body and in the wind and in the sunrise and listen to the HOPE, the POSSIBILITY, the BEAUTY of a cherished life that feels fulfilled and to the life that is walked with GRATITUDE. Listen.... and you will know which voice to follow. So many have walked this path before you.... and believe me, you are BLESSED. For those of us touched by addiction have perhaps the deepest most wonderful chance of all; the chance to see the brighter path, to choose it, and to BE our light in the world. Now... listen.... follow your own compass... you know that sobriety is what you choose'.

Keep it up.

Stick around.

BE
Old 03-12-2021, 03:56 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Hi Freeowl! Wow! That was Stong! Thank You! I will read that post everyday! I needed that!
Old 03-12-2021, 03:58 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Day 10! Here I come!