Notices

Hello

Old 03-02-2021, 10:44 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hello

I'm here because I need to quit smoking; it's done a lot to ruin my health and my spirit. I haven't had a drink a day at a time in 35 years -- I'm happy about that. But the nicotine addiction is so much worse and it's taken so much more from me. My hands are shaking as I write this -- because I have a lot of tangible reasons to quit and realize I'm putting it off is a slow death.

I going to try and treat myself better, but I'm angry and scared today.
Old 03-02-2021, 10:51 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi RogTJax.

We have a sub forum for quitting smoking here:

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/nicotine-smoking/
Old 03-02-2021, 10:53 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Sounds like it's time.

There is a way out!

Same way as the alcohol, as it turns out.

I stopped smoking in 1994. After the first two weeks I didn't miss it even a little bit. In my case I weaned off over a period of about a year so I really didn't have a hard time with it. Have you asked your doctor for help?

Welcome to the forums. Here is a thread you could join for daily accountability and support with people also giving up addictions this month. https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...-part-one.html
Old 03-02-2021, 03:18 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome RogTJax

you'll find a lot of support here, and in that other forum mentioned
D
Old 03-02-2021, 03:44 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family! Do read around the site and post wherever you like. You'll find lots of support here.
Old 03-02-2021, 03:59 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yes, go to the Stop Smoking forum, here, rogTJax.

I'm going back, relapsed about a week ago. Many relapses, me.

Had 2 weeks up. I've learned from it and am going to give it another shot.

I felt so so much better during that 2 weeks. Anxiety was there, but so much cleaner, clearer. Saved good money in only 2 weeks. It's crazy.
Old 03-02-2021, 04:56 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I started smoking when I was 9. I was addicted, smoking regularly by 6th or 7th grade.

Summer of 2012, right before I turned 38, I need an emergency surgery for a strangulated hernia. I was stuck in the hospital a couple of days and they are absolutely zero tolerance on smoking in America. I was going nuts. I had heard about electronic cigarettes. I thought boy if I had one of those I could sneak it in here and nobody would know. Then I thought about how much money I could save and maybe they are right about smoking being bad for my health. I figured I'm screwed for now but I'm gonna try one of those when I get out.

It was tough back then. The good products they have today didn't exist. I picked up a blu, which was pretty much your cheap gas station electronic cigarette of the time. I tried it and thought well maybe this could work in a pinch. Then I started reading up on e-cigarettes. The e-cigarette forum, I think reddit has stuff now too. Various you tube channels. Products started getting better and better and vape shops popped up.

Once I got into vaping I instantly cut down to about 2 cigarettes a day. It was more like switching brands of cigarettes. I didn't feel like I was giving anything up. I didn't have any pressure on myself to stop. I stopped because I realized smoking sucks and I would rather vape. Once you get use to the draw and the feel you probably won't WANT a tobacco cigarette anymore. Hmm do I want something that taste like strawberry milk or something that taste, pretty much like poop. So many smokers turned vapers wonder how we ever tolerated that garbage.

Nicotine itself isn't what kills smokers. It keeps them addicted but its the burning plant matter that does the damage. The difference in smoking and vaping is like lighting an actual fire in your house vs steam coming off your shower. What smoke from a fire would do to the walls vs steam from a shower. With a vape it packs much of that throat hit and gentle nicotine dose that we crave from a cigarette.

I dont see alcohol addiction quite the same as a cigarette. Nicotine doesn't get me arrested or cause the kind of trouble alcohol did. Many people start out vaping and gradually reduce the nicotine content to 0 and quit all together. I enjoy the nicotine, the flavors, the feel of it and have no intention to quit anytime soon. Its unbelievable how clean I feel when I breathe. Vaping can be a new hobby, a way to quit, or at least a healthier situation for now.
Old 03-02-2021, 05:01 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome, Rog and I'm sure you'll find lots of benefits from stopping smoking.