Notices

Got liver test results back - dodged a bullet

Old 02-27-2021, 11:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Got liver test results back - dodged a bullet

Hello all, my liver function test results were enough to warrant scans, it's not something I wanted to talk about here because I was trying to be positive. Essentially my liver is an absolutely terrible shape, but it is not cirrhosis yet. And my doctor was very clear about the "yet" part. He said that he could easily have seen me past the point of no return in a year. I wasn't sure about posting this but I think I wanted to make it clear the damage I was doing even though I wasn't drinking every day. Because I know that I fooled myself into thinking I was fine for that reason. So, not to scare you, but to warn you, it is very possible even if there are bigger drinkers than you. So, I'll survive with hard work, and I got lucky.

Last edited by Itstime4321; 02-27-2021 at 11:09 PM. Reason: typo
Old 02-27-2021, 11:11 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad the results were better than you feared they might be, and that you're not falling for the old 'so I can drink some more' line itstime

D
Old 02-27-2021, 11:14 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I'm glad the results were better than you feared they might be, and that you're not falling for the old 'so I can drink some more' line itstime

D
It was an absolutely terrifying process but one I'll keep in mind whenever I feel myself thinking about drinking.

Don't have to write the will just yet, although that wouldn't take long "no one gets anything, I spent all my money on booze for the past two decades".
Old 02-28-2021, 12:05 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Itstime, dodged a bullet is right, so well done for making the effort and finding out in time. A friend of my wife’s was diagnosed with alcohol-related cirrhosis last year, and it’s looking grim. He’s not even well enough for a liver transplant yet. I also don’t think I could mentally cope with the liver of a donor, who are usually younger people as their organs will be healthier, inside me when I’d drunk my own liver to oblivion.

I also read about the time between the first stage of liver disease, fibrosis, and the second stage, cirrhosis. It can be as little as a year with continued drinking. This is terrifying when you consider there are no symptoms of fibrosis.

But the likes of you and I stopped before all that so be thankful, move on and enjoy a healthy alcohol-free life

Old 02-28-2021, 12:16 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Nurture that liver like a small child and it should heal and repair.
Old 02-28-2021, 12:19 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hodd View Post
Hi Itstime, dodged a bullet is right, so well done for making the effort and finding out in time. A friend of my wife’s was diagnosed with alcohol-related cirrhosis last year, and it’s looking grim.
Man I'm sorry to hear about anyone who gets cirrhosis, it's so crazy that we all risk that living this kind of life. I hope she gets a transplant, it's a terribly sad thing to see.

Last edited by Itstime4321; 02-28-2021 at 12:19 AM. Reason: typo
Old 02-28-2021, 12:43 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Yes, nasty situation. There are also those who get cirrhosis by bad luck such as hepatitis. As far as I know, the medical profession makes no distinction between who gets a donor liver, i.e. alcohol or non-alcohol-related illnesses. Again, I’d struggle to know I may have had a donor liver ahead of someone who was ill through no fault of their own. It’s too gloomy to think about so I’m really really happy I won’t have to go through that.

Well done again.