Notices

Anger/sadness

Old 02-26-2021, 08:39 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Anger/sadness

I don't remember this from before when I attempted to stop drinking, I often wake up angry, at people from the past. Logically I know what is past, is past, but I'm consumed by rage. Then often in the same day I can be weeping, sad songs/TV programs make me cry,

Also my sex drive has gone, but maybe a good thing for awhile, has always got my into trouble.

Last edited by JamesW; 02-26-2021 at 08:41 PM. Reason: to add
Old 02-26-2021, 08:59 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I was angry when I quit too - as time went on I realised I was mostly angry at myself. The more sober time I had, the less the anger stayed around.
I was sad too - I think it's all part of mind and body healing James.
D
Old 02-26-2021, 09:07 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Emotional swings for no apparent reason were pretty common for the first few months of my sobriety. One thing I heard that helped: "your feelings are real but they are not necessarily reality." Stick with it James, like Dee said that does go away with time sober.

Good luck!
Old 02-26-2021, 09:20 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I was angry when I quit too - as time went on I realised I was mostly angry at myself. The more sober time I had, the less the anger stayed around.
I was sad too - I think it's all part of mind and body healing James.
D
Thanks Dee
I realise that much, if not most of my anger is really about my choices, I allowed myself to be in situations/friendship which were essentially toxic. Any sensible sober person could have told me so, but I ploughed on regardless, but always half drunk, or totally drunk.
Old 02-26-2021, 09:25 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yeah I had a lot of things to forgive myself over, James

D
Old 02-26-2021, 10:43 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I’m dealing with anger as well and I’m early on. Also no libido. Body is just trying to balance our chemicals again. It all stabilizes eventually. Some to normal, some near normal.
Old 02-27-2021, 02:22 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi James. The brilliant thing is that you are aware that this is happening. Your brain will heal itself - you don't need to believe in science for it to do it's thing. You do your little bit (not taking the first drink) ad science will take over and heal your brain. Give it time
Old 02-27-2021, 04:54 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
01-14-2019

Originally Posted by JamesW View Post
Thanks Dee
I realise that much, if not most of my anger is really about my choices, I allowed myself to be in situations/friendship which were essentially toxic. Any sensible sober person could have told me so, but I ploughed on regardless, but always half drunk, or totally drunk.
I can relate to being upset over choices I made while in active drinking. I still occasionally have some flashbacks but someone on here used a good way to describe. It’s like your in a car and your past is your past, it’s still there and you can look at the rear view mirror but really concentrate on looking forward while driving which is your present and future. The longer you are sober the choices you make will be authentic sober you. No self doubting if it was booze or hangover related. No more compromising choices to ensure booze is still available (like I used to ensure little as possible after hours work because I knew I’d be passed out). We build up these experiences and regain our confidence in decision making. They aren’t always going to be the best perfect choices but we no longer have doubt in them because booze was a factor and we can learn better and react better.
Old 02-27-2021, 07:15 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tornrealization View Post
I can relate to being upset over choices I made while in active drinking. I still occasionally have some flashbacks but someone on here used a good way to describe. It’s like your in a car and your past is your past, it’s still there and you can look at the rear view mirror but really concentrate on looking forward while driving which is your present and future. The longer you are sober the choices you make will be authentic sober you. No self doubting if it was booze or hangover related. No more compromising choices to ensure booze is still available (like I used to ensure little as possible after hours work because I knew I’d be passed out). We build up these experiences and regain our confidence in decision making. They aren’t always going to be the best perfect choices but we no longer have doubt in them because booze was a factor and we can learn better and react better.
Thank you, that was really helpful, I will hold tight to that idea. I believe our lives are a journey, I was born to travel, the road behind, or that not travelled is our fate, I just need to keep my wagon moving - with God's help.
Old 02-27-2021, 07:49 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Like others, I was very angry, sad and had flashbacks a lot in early recovery. Hang on and ride through these days and it will get better.
Old 02-27-2021, 08:00 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I believe we are right where God wants us to be.

Maybe I needed to burn my life to the ground to build a relationship with God.

Old 02-28-2021, 12:57 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Reckless

Thank you for your message, you are correct, I must remember to nurture my relationship with my higher power. X