Notices

New to this forum

Old 02-25-2021, 11:26 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New to this forum

Hi I am new to this forum. I know I need help but often is hard for me to seek it, so I will try to write a little about me. I am 31 years old, married and father of a 2 yo baby. Currently a graduate student,I always feel stressed, about my life, my future and when I feel this way, I drink so I "disconnect" from reality, but when I drink, I cant stop until I pass out, and I do this on a regular basis. I want to stop, I dont want to turn the life of my baby into hell, I want to be the husband and father my family needs.. so I decided to join this wonderful community. Thanks for reading.
Old 02-25-2021, 11:41 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome hcm, I'm glad you know you need to stop drinking.

Do you have a plan for how you will stop and how you will begin to recover? It's always a good idea to have a plan to help you through the days, weeks and months ahead. You could also try to come up with some healthy ways to deal with the stresses of life such as exercise, meditation, music, whatever works for you. I'm glad you want to be the best person you can be.
Old 02-25-2021, 11:47 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Currently I am trying to start marking days in a calendar, it gives me a sense of achievement. Also I am trying to start cooking again, cooking is helpful to me when dealing with stress.
Old 02-25-2021, 12:22 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi hcm. Early on I counted days. It really helped me for a number of months. How many days sober are you now? You can definitely leave all that behind. One of the many horrid things about alcohol is that the things you are trying to escape by drinking are all made that much worse by drinking. I am always impressed by folks your age who know at such a young age that you have a troubling relationship with alcohol that needs to be addressed. You would be so wise to do it now. Your best decades lay right before you and they can be wonderful. Don't lose them to drinking like I did.
Old 02-25-2021, 12:37 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

It's so good to have you join us, hcm. It helped me so much to talk things over here. I was scared & desperate when I first joined - but my anxiety was much less when I realized I was no longer alone.

You're wise to keep busy - cooking is a good idea. We're definitely a little uncomfortable when we first quit & need to focus on other things. I'm glad at 31 you're realizing what needs to happen. I wish I had! You can definitely do this - keep reading & posting - we're here to help.
Old 02-25-2021, 12:49 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. You'll find lots of support and useful info to deal with living sober. We understand what you're feeling and going thru.
Old 02-25-2021, 01:10 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome hc!!
You have come to the right place for support!
Good on you for making the change fairly early in life.
Don't wait 2 more decades like I did.
Old 02-25-2021, 01:20 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome HC. This is the place - it got many of us sober, including myself, as a father and a husband in my late 30s, early 40s and I will be forever grateful for it. There is wisdom, support and knowledge here. Reach out, post often. Anna's point - about making a plan - was something I heard a lot in my early days and it used to upset me - but now I see how important it is.

Congrats on making a step to reclaim your life. Sobriety is the gift that gives you back the life you always wanted. Welcome again.
Old 02-25-2021, 01:27 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome and congrats on making the right decision to improve the quality of life for yourself and family
Old 02-25-2021, 02:45 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome hcm

If stress eats at you knows a great time to look at other ways to deal with stress - exercise, work play balance, meditation, hobbies...anythings better than drinking.

D
Old 02-25-2021, 03:52 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks to everybody for your support, it was really helpful to read all your comments, I was sad when I wrote my first post but now I feel better. I will be an active poster in this forum. Thanks again to everybody.
Old 02-25-2021, 03:58 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Be sure to take a look at some of our other forums too. There's interactive word games, if you want something to do. There's Cafe Central, kind of a 'coffee shop' exploring many different topics. There's so many different forums to choose from. When I was early in sobriety I used to browse the forums, reading and posting. It helped me stay sober and I learned a lot of neat stuff.
Old 02-25-2021, 07:49 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

welcome, hcm.
getting active and participating in things like a sobriety forum was a huge part of my turnaround and worked way better than just sitting and thinking about it all.
looking forward to hearing more from you.
Old 02-25-2021, 08:28 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post
Be sure to take a look at some of our other forums too. There's interactive word games, if you want something to do. There's Cafe Central, kind of a 'coffee shop' exploring many different topics. There's so many different forums to choose from. When I was early in sobriety I used to browse the forums, reading and posting. It helped me stay sober and I learned a lot of neat stuff.
thanks for posting this. I love learning new things. I need head over to the forums and explore. I rarely leave this one.
Old 02-25-2021, 11:43 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
EndGame

Originally Posted by hcm234 View Post
I know I need help but often is hard for me to seek it
You can put a check next to this one.

Off to a good start.