Notices

PAWS worse during luteal phase??

Old 02-22-2021, 10:23 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

PAWS worse during luteal phase??

Well...I'm just over 8 months sober. I'm going through literal hell on earth with PAWS. Some days I feel like I'm totally backtracking. I had a 2 week window where I felt NORMAL. I was happy and thinking positive and then it all came crashing down. I have a whole arsenal of supplements and vitamins that I take but I don't even think they're doing anything really, maybe its just the placebo effect of feeling like I'm taking something that has gotten me through these 8 months. I hate that I'm so envious of the people on here who felt SO MUCH BETTER at the 3 and 4 and 8 month mark. My anxious depressed days far outnumber the good days.
My question is for the women on here who have some significant sober time, since I can't trust my own brain. When you were in early sobriety did you feel way worse right after ovulating? I ask because I had a particularly bad spell while I was on my period and then I had those really blissful 2 weeks, and 4 days after ovulating my mood dropped significantly. My health anxiety is acting up and idk whether to chalk it up to PMDD which I've never had.
I know that I'm on a non linear incline to feeling better but man I feel like I'm backtracking a lot of the time.
Old 02-22-2021, 11:54 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I just wanted to say it's good to see you back and to hear that things are better at least sometimes RAB

D
Old 02-23-2021, 12:34 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi RAB,

I have PAWS benzos, and am post menopausal so can't speak from personal experience, but....have spoken with many women who symptoms became worse following ovulation.

I dont know the exact reason but there seems to be an hormonal connection with PAWS. I've seen it often. Even post menopausally my breasts became tender and enlarged.

It's very discouraging RAB but please feel assured that it does get better with time.

There is a thread in the "Alcoholism" Forum that talks specifically to PAWS. Maybe talk with some of the women there.

It does get better RAB.

Please dont drink tho, kindling will really mess things up.

Hang in.

Old 02-23-2021, 04:46 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Steely,

Oh my goodness I thought you were a man lol. Thank you for your response. I have no urge to drink whatsoever, no cravings, thank god because from what I read the cravings are intense.

Dee,
Thanks for the welcome. This sucks.
Old 02-23-2021, 05:24 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

It might be good to go to your GP and ask for them to test you for PMDD. Personally, I had or have endometriosis and this particular situation ruled my moods, my body and my entire life. I would feel okay for a spell and then when it was time for my cycle, I started to act and feel absolutely terrible. Body, emotions and mind were on overdrive. I was a mess. I could sabotage my life in a few short days. Our hormones can really do a number on us.

There are natural supplements that can be taken for hormonal balance:
Evening Primrose Oil
Dong Quai
Chaste Tree Berry (Vitex)

Or you could find a combination of some beneficial herbs (above) that may help to relieve these symptoms.
Perhaps going to a GP who also knows the power of natural remedies would be beneficial.

Evening primrose oil has worked wonders for many many women.

Old 02-23-2021, 06:16 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

I have PAWS. But, I am a man.

For me, PAWS = Permanent Brain Damage. That means things don't really get better inside my head, but I get used to the way they are, and then it gets better.

I don't take any RX medication, except 10 mg of Lisonopril. I recently stopped taking it because I was running low and wanted to make it last, or something. I started to freak out. My heart would race, my anxiety was spiking. So basically, once a person starts taking meds, coming off them can cause issues.

But, the main good thing in my 5 years of super clean time, is things really settled down. When I get my sleep, eat clean, and play nice with others, things feel extremely stable.

So to you and to all those feeling "off and on jacked up" in my not so humble opinion (sometimes) things get better and better. The coolest thing is that after being sick from detox/hungover, and then going through the years of hell on earth getting used to what is left of my non booze medicated brain, feeling better feels soooooo much better.

Heaven on earth.

Something to look forward to.

Additionally, the anxiety spikes/PTSD type of events help to remind me to never never never ever ever ever consider booze as anything other than a mind altering insidious toxic CNS destroyer.

SR/AA remind me to be aware I am always standing near the edge of the relapse cliff. I am one drink/binge away from day 1 again.

I don't believe the hype.

Love love love.

Thanks.
Old 02-23-2021, 07:25 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Lots of people mistake me for man RAB, don't know why. Maybe the avatar?

Hey, D122y. I don't agree that PAWS is permanent.

Old 02-23-2021, 08:01 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

RAB, could it be that you notice your PMDD symptoms more since you stopped drinking? That was the case for me when I stopped drinking.
Old 02-23-2021, 02:27 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Hi Steely,

Maybe not for you, but for me it sure seems like it is.

My reasoning is this...I would rather think I damaged my brain irreversibly and never drink again because I don't want to hurt it any further.

If I thought I could somehow fully recover, say in a year or two, I might become an active addict again.

I consider myself an addict for life. I am just not drinking booze ever again, but I am still an addict.

I had a weird sensation today, leaving work that reminded me of the reason I quit. I hadn't eaten much so I figure it was to do with that, and it didn't cause me to panic, but did give me a solid reminder of what it will be like if I ever relapsed.

If I ever drank again, I would not consider it a decision to drink, it would be a relapse.

Thanks.
Old 02-23-2021, 05:32 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Samantha

Could it be something underlying?
Old 02-24-2021, 11:12 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

D122,
I hope you're still going to take the lisinopril for your high bp and to prevent a stroke. You know...I've read a lot of your posts and you do say that you're not on any prescription medication but I also see where you say that your job won't allow you to be on prescription medication so I wonder, if you didn't have your current job, would you be?
I have always struggled with anxiety, my whole life. I've never been medicated for it. I guess I was medicating myself without even realizing. I've been addicted to nicotine since 14 years old and I drank from 28 to 31 years old.

In my experience and from what I've read...quitting drinking causes symptoms identical to PMDD, postpartum depression, menopause etc...it's all the same hormonal fluctuations no matter what CAUSED it. Some heal fast, some heal slow, some don't have it come back, and for some it's recurrent.

It probably is an underlying condition for me as well as PAWS.