Notices

Overdoing It

Old 02-22-2021, 05:24 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Overdoing It

I’m really struggling with trying to do everything at once. I know I should just focus on being sober (I am only at day 70) and not “over do it” but I’m finding now that I am sober and feeling better I want to fix all the problems caused by drinking RIGHT NOW. More specifically I am stressing myself out with diet and exercise and losing the weight I gained from drinking. I’ve also been obsessed with cleaning and organizing my house which isn’t a bad thing but I know I am possibly overdoing it. I also work and have two young kids so needless to say I have a lot on my plate.

Mainly just venting but has anyone else had a similar experience? I know I need to slow down but I find looking at myself in the mirror is a constant reminder of my struggles with alcohol. When I was drunk half the time I didn’t notice or care.

Thanks
LoveDD
Old 02-22-2021, 05:41 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi DD, I truly believe that balance is crucial for my recovery. In my case, I was doing too much before I began drinking and my overdoing it contributed to me beginning to drink. So, I knew if I was going to recover, I needed to keep balance in all areas of my life. It doesn't always work out, but I know it's important.
Old 02-22-2021, 05:42 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

The most useful and important thing I have learned so far on my journey is patience.
Old 02-22-2021, 06:05 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I have found that life balances out in time. You will get into a groove and be able to tackle ALL the things that need doing in time. One day at a time. Patience and perseverance.
You got this.
Old 02-22-2021, 06:09 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

When I'm faced with seemingly insurmountable tasks, I try to break it up into smaller bits.

Do one thing at a time. Be patient with yourself.
Old 02-22-2021, 06:10 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

I didn't really start freaking out, feel the insanity of healing, until I was around 90 days clean.

I am pretty sure that I am heavily kindled. This is a term that Dr's don't really recognize.

The brain damage from my drinking is permanent. If I ever drink again, I will not be able to make it out again without losing my mind more than it already is.

This is not a joke. This is some serious stuff. Booze fries the brain. Active drinkers, even if they only get drunk once or twice a week, are killing brain cells that never return.

I am pretty sure everyone knows this, but the addiction blinds.

I stay clean by any means.

Thanks.
Old 02-22-2021, 06:38 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Best After Date:June 12, 2011

I am going through that too. Like you say, it's all good stuff we're doing but I'm hyper focused on fitness and undoing the horrible reflection I have in the mirror. I think it's part of my personality and also why I can't drink socially and casually. I'm the same with exercise. It's all or nothing. I was into bodybuilding for 15 years in the days when I was only a binge drinker. I had abs and was quite built and was certified as a personal trainer simply out of interest. Now I'm am 50 lbs over weight, a month sober and have been going hard on the weights, nutrition and fitness. I've put on a lot of strength and some size(thanks muscle memory)but the fat I've put on from drinking disgusts me. But each day at a time, and I prefer obsessing over my next workout than if I have enough booze at home for the night and hoping I'm not too hung over every day.
I also work and have a wife and 4 year old. I tell ya it's hard finding time for it all!
Old 02-22-2021, 07:44 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

You have the rest of your life to fix stuff.
Recovery Is the axle language the wheel of my life rests so it’s the most important thing you need to get that running and running securely first I think?

some people can do that right away and others find that it takes a little more time to get the basics down.
if you’re feeling overwhelmed you need to drop some stuff.

put some stuff to one side it’ll still be there later on

I thought it would take me decades to fix all the bridges I’d burned, fences that needed mending and to catch up on the years I wasted drinking...in fact looking back most of that was done in year one anyway...

Try and be patient. This is the rest of your life unfolding...it’s ok to take time to stop and look around at the scenery on your journey
Old 02-22-2021, 08:12 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Mindful meditation has helped me out. Not focusing on the past or the future just the present moment. It has dramatically decrease stress and anxiety. I do 20 minutes every morning before work.
Old 02-22-2021, 10:15 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
EndGame

I was so ashamed of myself when I got sober. I too wanted to fix things quickly. Especially relationships.

I reached out to people for help, something that at that time was very much against my nature. It was a difficult thing for me to try to sit still.

I got active and went to a lot of meetings. I was working as a bartender at the time so I often went to two meetings before my shift started.

I had chronic insomnia. I don't know that any particular thing got me out of the state of being I was in.

I relapsed for three years after twenty-five years of sobriety. It was so much worse getting sober for the second time. I learned some things about managing suffering that I would not have chosen to learn without struggling to get sober again.

My sponsor used to say, "You cannot get this (sobriety) slowly enough." I now agree with him.

Old 02-23-2021, 04:53 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

In early recovery many want to hurry up and get things
done or hurry up and correct all the wrongs to make them
right.

Hurry hurry hurry.

I had to learn that recovery is progress not perfection.

Not everything has to be perfect, in their place, not a hair
out of place or being so rigid in everything.

If i can do at least one thing a day, then that is progress.

I was 30 yrs old back in 1990 with a little family when I
started my recovery journey. Learning how to find balance
and responsibility in all areas of my life was and still is
important even 30 yrs later in order to achieve success in
both life and recovery.

Today I still live by the guidelines of recovery taught
to me yrs. ago all to the best of my human ability. With
willingness, openmindedness and honesty each day,
holding tightly to my faith and recovery support.

Old 02-23-2021, 05:02 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I don't think weight loss is something that can be rushed.

Many years ago I put on a lot of weight due to a job change from an active job to an office job.

Losing that weight and regaining physical fitness took time. I find mini-goals to be the best and most loving thing I can do for myself. Like in a month I could expect to lose about 5 pounds. So I'd just go out and do the things. More vegetables and protein, fewer cookies and less hours in front of the TV. Taking walks every day... reasonable changes. Small successes are better than epic fails.

Be kind to you.

Beating up myself never turns out the way I expect. Acting in a loving way toward myself always works out.
Old 02-23-2021, 06:45 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I here you loud and clear!
It got bad for me not long ago.
1My main focus in recovery now is slowing down. I was to the point I couldn't do anything because my list was so long I didn't know where to start.

It really affected my mood and attitude negatively.

For me this has been as hard as quitting drinking.
It is a mindset I have had for decades so it won't be easy to break but I am trying.
Old 02-25-2021, 08:44 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone for your kind responses. I heard a saying today “Slow progress is still progress” and it really resonated. I just need to take it easy on myself and be patient with myself.

Thanks Again