Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

When it’s so bad only a drink will do-what can I do? Weekenders 19-22 February 2021

Notices

When it’s so bad only a drink will do-what can I do? Weekenders 19-22 February 2021

Old 02-18-2021, 10:59 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Samantha

Thanks everyone, I have got a lot better at managing cravings, but they still throw me off when they are this bad.
Old 02-18-2021, 11:50 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

thanks Mags
Old 02-18-2021, 01:30 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Thank, Mags.

Greetings and love ❤️ to all.

I miss being able to stay current with all of you.

Thinking of, and praying for, all of you especially those who may be affected by the large and strong winter storms moving across the USA.

Old 02-18-2021, 02:08 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Hi
Joining here too....Friday morning for us in oz.
Only day 4. Usually the first day after withdrawal for me.....so the day when things start to feel normal again.
Then go into the weekend.....Saturday afternoon is the worst bit of the weekend. Its like goin around the dark side of the
moon sometimes.
Which then moves into an internal discussion of how it would be better to just drink on Saturday afternoons / evenings.....
You will be familiar with the process....
Old 02-18-2021, 02:40 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hi sodasoba, good to see you on Weekenders.

Leigh, I hope everything is going well with you and your family.
Old 02-18-2021, 04:26 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hope you can stay off the carousel Sodasoba

D
Old 02-18-2021, 05:34 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Think I will be ok this weekend Dee.
After the last 10 days, the 3 sober days have been so much better.
Things getting done that are needed.
Because you can be present, available to other ppl, sober days can unfold in unexpected and interesting ways.
This morning I went out for a coffee with a neighbour. Drinking....it wouldn't have happened. Hungover, I would have
just sat there worrying if my hands too shaky to lift the cup, if they'd notice. Sober.....just enjoyed it and now doing
something else Sunday with them.
Drinking.....it'd just be stretching last night's leftover cans until the pubs open, the shaming early morning restock. Then
isolated drinking to early snooze out....then awake again in the small hours....repeat.

So, no, sober doesn't feel like a lesser state,...its just getting through the withdrawals to start with. Its maintaining it that
I have found impossible.
Old 02-18-2021, 07:57 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yeah the withdrawal is hard but its worth it to get to that other state of mind and way of life

D
Old 02-18-2021, 09:19 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I'm in for the weekend!
Old 02-18-2021, 09:28 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

In for the weekend, thanks Mags.
Old 02-18-2021, 09:46 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Thanks, Mags.

Old 02-18-2021, 10:11 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Mr

Thanks Mags.

Quick pop-in
Salutations to all.

Good track Lunar. I listened to the original afterwards, here :
https://youtu.be/XCo0J_kVKHw

Old 02-18-2021, 10:26 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Thanks,
Vman.
It's a powerful song.
Old 02-18-2021, 11:40 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hiya Weekenders

Marty, you are brave to take on the re-model. It’ll be lovely when completed.

Hiya lunar, Vinny and CaptainHaddock, good to see you.
Old 02-19-2021, 12:32 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Morning Weekenders

I've not heard 'Change(d) The Locks' before. Good song.

Steely, I do that too, check a random reply to see if the person is stil sober. In older threads, where the poster has long since stopped posting, I sometimes wonder how they are getting on. I'd like to think they got sober and just moved on to the next stage in their sober life.
Old 02-19-2021, 05:26 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sodasoba View Post
Think I will be ok this weekend Dee.
After the last 10 days, the 3 sober days have been so much better.
Things getting done that are needed.
Because you can be present, available to other ppl, sober days can unfold in unexpected and interesting ways.
This morning I went out for a coffee with a neighbour. Drinking....it wouldn't have happened. Hungover, I would have
just sat there worrying if my hands too shaky to lift the cup, if they'd notice. Sober.....just enjoyed it and now doing
something else Sunday with them.
Drinking.....it'd just be stretching last night's leftover cans until the pubs open, the shaming early morning restock. Then
isolated drinking to early snooze out....then awake again in the small hours....repeat.

So, no, sober doesn't feel like a lesser state,...its just getting through the withdrawals to start with. Its maintaining it that I have found impossible.
...and yet - it's not impossible or none of us would be doing it.

I think self-talk and beliefs are super important when quitting drinking.

I never thought it was impossible and I haven't relapsed in seven years, so my belief was that it WAS and IS very possible to quit.

Friday. Two sleeps till my covid 1st shot. I got the confirmation phone call yesterday...that may mean they have enough doses. Still crossing all my fingers and toes.
Old 02-19-2021, 09:46 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Thanks, Mags ~

My own Fridaze Epiphany is a kinda ZeNugget I drilled down to over multiple Sober Years, and even during Years prior: Life Ain't Fair. This acceptance *can* have profound effect, and has for me.

I was driving with Pals, and minding my own Bidness, when we got rear-ended down by Disney World in Florida. Started 1990 with agonizing Whiplash. So bad that my Attorney told me 2 of his Clients committed Suicide to escape similar Pain. Yah. It's that bad. I hit the Gym hard over 2 Years, and built up new Muscle to take the load off injured Muscle.

Then, I buy this Mesa-top Acreage to design and build this Solar Dream Home, and wind up with The Neighbor From Hades who's since clocked up 8 DUIs. Harassed us nonstop because we beat his Boss's lower Bid to buy this Property. All unknown to us, of course. He finally left in 2020 after ~15 Years of trying to make us miserable for doing nothing except existing. One time, he shot at me. I shot back 'in his general direction' [Monty Python credit]. He settled down *some* after that Shootout. Just as well because the Sheriff wouldn't do a thing to help us.

In these, and in other cases, my own Mental Game was to gradually strip away any expectation of fairness. One germane example: If I don't grind my Gears over being ONE who can't drink again - and proceed to just not care about the Genetic Hand I've been dealt - then, poof! It disappears as an issue. Just like that! If I could package this POV in a Spray Bottle, I could sell it as 'Angst Be Gone!'.

This liberating POV takes time to root down into, but it has led directly to my default State of Serenity. I still get lil Triggers, but just laugh them off as they pass. I take them as seriously as an e.mail offer for Millions $$ from a Nigerian Prince.

MesaPup is seen below with his favorite Toy Dog that I throw across the Concrete Floor repeatedly. This leads to some hilarious Retriever action that includes sliding moves like some Cartoon Dog.

That most excellent Tom Petty Track got me thinking of this one. We saw him, with Steve Winwood opening, at the fabulous Red Rocks Amphitheater outside Denver just after I sobered up in early 2014. Great Music on a rainy Night. I was trippin' on how much Booze was being loaded in up the Stairs, and sold at high Profit Margins. Mighty interesting to watch 'Murica drink when you're not doing it anymore...

'Runaway Trains' ~ Tom Petty &The Heartbreakers

Old 02-19-2021, 11:17 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

I cannot 'like' your post enough, MesaMan. And MesaPup, oh my, that has got to be the cutest, sweetest puppy photo I have EVER seen! Thank you for that smile and AWWWW.
Old 02-19-2021, 11:18 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  
Magsie

MesaMan, I’m pleased your neighbour slung his hook! you can do without people as neighbours.
MesaPup has a cautious look on his face..

Bim, 🤞

Hi Tatsy
Old 02-19-2021, 11:22 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Count me in for this weekend. Going o go hiking On Stanford Campus tomorrow!