Notices

Will it ever get better???

Old 03-06-2021, 02:29 PM
  # 81 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I sat here nodding as I read your post. I remember so well feeling just that way as I ventured out in early recovery. There's no doubt we feel vulnerable & a little disoriented. I felt triumphant when I made it through - and I grew stronger. You're doing great.
Old 03-06-2021, 02:42 PM
  # 82 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hevyn;[url=tel:7601826
7601826[/url]]I sat here nodding as I read your post. I remember so well feeling just that way as I ventured out in early recovery. There's no doubt we feel vulnerable & a little disoriented. I felt triumphant when I made it through - and I grew stronger. You're doing great.
Felt so victorious
Old 03-06-2021, 02:47 PM
  # 83 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

That's because we are.
Old 03-06-2021, 04:16 PM
  # 84 (permalink)  

If indeed you have PAWS Introvrtd you're doing everything right.

Baby steps are best.

Old 03-06-2021, 04:41 PM
  # 85 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by steely;[url=tel:7601863
7601863]if indeed you have paws introvrtd you're doing everything right.

Baby steps are best.

Old 03-07-2021, 01:25 PM
  # 86 (permalink)  

Just venting here...(or maybe I’m whining)....

But I went out again today....left the house for a short drive to the gas station and grocery store for a few things .....

Got to the gas station and had a mild panic attack but I just stood there and finished pumping the gas...Almost tempted to disconnect the pump, drive off and run home, skipping the grocery visit.

Nooo...Stood my ground....finished at the pump then headed for the grocers about 2 mins away....From the parking lot to the entrance of the grocery my legs were like jelly....putting on my mask I started feeling dizzy and heart was racing and my blood pressure was definitely up...I felt like utter crap!! Thoughts of collapsing in the store kept going through my mind but I stayed focused on completing my list....(why oh why are the eggs way over on the opposite side of the store?!?!) I’ll never make it that far!!!

So as I pressed forward deciding that if anything bad is gonna happen I’ll just let it...,As I continued shopping, and as I started concentrating more on my list and less on my symptoms, they began to subside...

At that point I was able to see if there was anything else not on my grocery list I may want...So things went from “get in, get your stuff and get out as quickly as you can” to “hmmm...I forgot how anxious and panicky I was...l can shop around a bit longer if I want.”

After leaving the store I began to wonder what other errands I could run....but I thought, naaahh I was already committed to spending a nice restful day at home so I can get ready for the work week.

I guess I still have some healing to do...

Thanks for reading
Old 03-07-2021, 01:31 PM
  # 87 (permalink)  

Focusing on my breathing helps me to push out anxiety. Just like focusing on your list helped it subside.

I have noticed too, the longer I am without alcohol the less anxiety I have.
Old 03-07-2021, 01:37 PM
  # 88 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by fishkiller;[url=tel:7602276
7602276[/url]]Focusing on my breathing helps me to push out anxiety. Just like focusing on your list helped it subside.

I have noticed too, the longer I am without alcohol the less anxiety I have.
I agree Fish
Old 03-07-2021, 04:20 PM
  # 89 (permalink)  
01-14-2019

We all have our reasons for wanting to quit drinking. I expected to feel better, make better decisions and less regrets. I had no idea that my Anxiety was going to be reduced by so much. It's quite amazing to me. I got let go while drinking. So my world fell apart and I would never work again, and lose everything - and just anxiety so high that most mornings I was dry heaving from Anxiety or hangover. Both? Most likely most days. I was even in the bathroom for good days? Like my first day at the next job. Throwing up for weeks - cause I was nervous. I had overblown everything in my head and made myself physically ill and thought this was my normal. Like even if I sobered up - I would just be sober anxiety. AS you are are aware, Introvrtd1 - there is STILL anxiety. But it gets more manageable. It gets less intense. Should you find you need a Doctor's help to manage it - at least you know it's not booze causing it to manifest worse than it already is.

It's been an amazing side effect of sobriety. The reduction of anxiety. My current job is year to year contract with pitfalls - like being furloughed during Covid, etc. When this was happening last year, I was not running to the toilet each morning. I actually used some of the pitfalls to do more positive things. I exercised during the furlough and redid some bills to live on a cheaper budget. I'm currently studying for additional certifications for that extra edge for the next job search. I'm preparing, and rolling with the punches a lot easier sober. With a significant anxiety reduction - than when faced with the same situations drinking all the time.
Old 03-07-2021, 05:42 PM
  # 90 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tornrealization;[url=tel:7602347
7602347[/url]]We all have our reasons for wanting to quit drinking. I expected to feel better, make better decisions and less regrets. I had no idea that my Anxiety was going to be reduced by so much. It's quite amazing to me. I got let go while drinking. So my world fell apart and I would never work again, and lose everything - and just anxiety so high that most mornings I was dry heaving from Anxiety or hangover. Both? Most likely most days. I was even in the bathroom for good days? Like my first day at the next job. Throwing up for weeks - cause I was nervous. I had overblown everything in my head and made myself physically ill and thought this was my normal. Like even if I sobered up - I would just be sober anxiety. AS you are are aware, Introvrtd1 - there is STILL anxiety. But it gets more manageable. It gets less intense. Should you find you need a Doctor's help to manage it - at least you know it's not booze causing it to manifest worse than it already is.

It's been an amazing side effect of sobriety. The reduction of anxiety. My current job is year to year contract with pitfalls - like being furloughed during Covid, etc. When this was happening last year, I was not running to the toilet each morning. I actually used some of the pitfalls to do more positive things. I exercised during the furlough and redid some bills to live on a cheaper budget. I'm currently studying for additional certifications for that extra edge for the next job search. I'm preparing, and rolling with the punches a lot easier sober. With a significant anxiety reduction - than when faced with the same situations drinking all the time.
Old 03-07-2021, 07:00 PM
  # 91 (permalink)  

Way to push through the fear, man. That takes Courage, and you have it. I'm so glad to see how well you're doing.

And you too Torn! That was an amazing story of your anxiety in the early days. That took amazing courage too!

Thanks to you both for sharing and helping us all.

Old 03-08-2021, 01:07 AM
  # 92 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hey Introvrtd

I know you're on an ssri for depression - just wondered if you also spoke to whoever it was about anxiety?

D
Old 03-08-2021, 02:24 AM
  # 93 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Hey Introvrtd

I know you're on an ssri for depression - just wondered if you also spoke to whoever it was about anxiety?

D
Hi Dee,

Had a therapist in the past....looking to get on with another one in the near future

Old 03-10-2021, 02:37 AM
  # 94 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by EndGameNYC View Post
We don't know that we can get through difficult situations sober until we do it. By the time I became aware that I was making progress it had already been going on for awhile. I didn't have much experience in feeling good about myself.

People have died since I got sober. Some people are no longer a part of my life for other reasons. I lost interest in some things that I used to think were important; ideas beliefs, and other things that I valued. I had time to evaluate some long-held beliefs that had remained unexamined until I stopped drinking. There were several things I didn't like.

Getting sober is a wonderful opportunity to start living a better life. It's much more than a slogan, or an empty promise. People will tell you the same thing in the same or different words. Knowing this can be a powerful thing. Working through the struggle makes a sober life that much more valuable because we have to work at it. Drinking always made things worse for me.
This really says it all ^^^^^
Old 03-10-2021, 04:12 AM
  # 95 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AAPJ;[url=tel:7603436
7603436[/url]]This really says it all ^^^^^
Yes
Old 03-11-2021, 12:51 PM
  # 96 (permalink)  

70 Days!!

I’ve been exercising on my elliptical because of ankle surgery last year but I think I can honestly say....It’s getting better...The palpitations, the anxiety, the stress response, the depression, ....all the terrible symptoms I had around 30 and 60 days are finally letting up....Not to jinx it, but I know I still have a long way to go...Im worried about day 90 at the same time excited at the prospect of feeling much much better....who knows?....

At this point I’m enjoying the ‘normal’ feeling of calm, peace, and restful sleep...I know the aerobic exercise helps tremendously...It’s also the diet of less sugar, salt, and carbs...(still working on the carbs a bit)...

Overall, I’m starting to feel about 70% better...again...quite a ways to go but I’ll take whatever I can get for now...

The symptoms still come and go but theyre ever so slight and last but a few minutes rather than hours...

Thanks for the support...

Thanks again for letting me share...

Old 03-11-2021, 02:28 PM
  # 97 (permalink)  
Administrator

Awesome news introvrtd

D
Old 03-11-2021, 04:03 PM
  # 98 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Awesome news introvrtd

D