Notices

Will it ever get better???

Old 02-18-2021, 06:33 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Introvrtd1 View Post
Ever feel like things aren’t improving....Even if they slowly seem to improve?....

48 days today....Too early to expect miracles I know....

....does that even make any sense?
Yes. It makes sense. I’m not drinking but now I’m dealing with feelings, regret and my present circumstances.

I know I’m getting better, but some days it feels like I’m getting worse even though I’m not drinking. It’s like I want to snap my fingers and have it all figured out—even though I know that’s not possible.

Stay sober, keep doing the work—we WILL find peace—it just takes time. ❤️
Old 02-18-2021, 06:57 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Yes it will get better, but not as quickly as you would probably like.

Here is some simple math to illustrate that point. I noticed that your joined this website in June of 2007. So I suspect that you've been concerned about your drinking for at least that long. Using an online "days between dates" calculator, June 1, 2007 was 5,011 days ago. So your current 48 sober days represents just under 1% of that time. I know it sucks to look at it that way, but if you have a long drinking history, to balance that out you are going to need to have a long sober history. And that just takes time, there are no shortcuts.

You were sober yesterday which was a victory. And if you stay sober today, you will have another victory. This is really a one day at a time thing, cherish each sober day and just keep moving forward. That's what happened to me. I'm now the old guy on here giving advice to the newcomers (and there was a time when my sobriety was so shaky, that I counted my sober time in hours, not days, so I've been there).
Old 02-18-2021, 10:32 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Zebra1275 View Post
Yes it will get better, but not as quickly as you would probably like.

Here is some simple math to illustrate that point. I noticed that your joined this website in June of 2007. So I suspect that you've been concerned about your drinking for at least that long. Using an online "days between dates" calculator, June 1, 2007 was 5,011 days ago. So your current 48 sober days represents just under 1% of that time. I know it sucks to look at it that way, but if you have a long drinking history, to balance that out you are going to need to have a long sober history. And that just takes time, there are no shortcuts.

You were sober yesterday which was a victory. And if you stay sober today, you will have another victory. This is really a one day at a time thing, cherish each sober day and just keep moving forward. That's what happened to me. I'm now the old guy on here giving advice to the newcomers (and there was a time when my sobriety was so shaky, that I counted my sober time in hours, not days, so I've been there).
Good way to look at it thanks! I guess I’m freaked out about the PAWS that hits me and as bad as it made me feel, I know I may be in for a lot more....at the same time I’m staying positive for less frequent and less intense post withdrawals
Old 02-18-2021, 10:51 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I promise, the PAWS does get better Introvertd. I found acceptance to be key. Nothing we can do about it outside of definitely staying sober, and self care. Water is good.

Sorry it's happening to you tho.

Onwards.
Old 02-18-2021, 12:19 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Steely View Post
I promise, the PAWS does get better Introvertd. I found acceptance to be key. Nothing we can do about it outside of definitely staying sober, and self care. Water is good.

Sorry it's happening to you tho.

Onwards.
Thanks
Old 02-18-2021, 01:13 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
01-14-2019

Thank you for this thread! It was all the people on this board saying it would get better that kept me going. It’s real authentic people sharing their experiences and I trusted this support system. I wanted to be one of those people who can tell someone, it gets better one day. Years went by, and I finally got sober. I held onto this it will get better. Now I can say it does get better! There’s going to be ups and downs peaks and valleys but as you adjust to it you’ll realize things are better through it all. I’ve also done plenty of days where I had to go to bed ridiculously early because of cravings or struggling, but I haven’t really done that in awhile. Please keep with it. I’m over two years in now, and I still marvel at little things like being able to drive anytime and waking up hangover free. Ive gone through big things too and I felt much better equipped to handle the bad life stuff too.
Old 02-18-2021, 01:39 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Hey thanks for the post! I resonate a lot, I feel as sobriety passes, the shifts seem to be more minor, but under the surface a massive transformation is taking place. We often do not notice because it is happening day by day and we are always there for it. I often hear that others will notice the changes before we do. The more rapidly you want the change, the more you can dive into your recovery! I personally follow the AA program and if I dive in completely, there is no time to really think much on such topics haha.
Old 02-18-2021, 02:02 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Thank you all...I appreciate the stories of recovery
Old 02-18-2021, 03:59 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Of course it will! Just keep going you'll see
Old 02-22-2021, 04:23 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Ugh....Another bad day...I remember all the encouragement and reassurances you all have posted here but I’m really feelin the anxiety this evening....

Dont mean to be a downer here but I’m just venting

Believe me Im holding on real tight...The last thing on my mind is drinking....I wanna get well...

The last several days were good! Today I got ambushed!! Caught completely off guard...I know good n well what y’all said...It gets better, Yes! I believe that because there’s progress in the reduced intensity and frequency.....Thanks very much for that!

With the anxiety comes the blood pressure spikes and it makes me feel like crap ugh.

Im just talking it out...Just helps me get it off my chest...

Thanks for reading
Old 02-22-2021, 05:33 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
01-14-2019

I’ve always like the sober muscles analogy because once you get through experiences sober the next one is easier to get through. I’m glad you’ve come here to vent and get it off your chest. For what it’s worth my anxiety went way down after sober time. I actually had no idea how much of my bad anxiety was amplified by alcohol or lack thereof.

I’m rooting for you!
Old 02-22-2021, 05:43 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Yes, you'll have bad days as well as good ones, but slowly it will get better. Be good to yourself with good food, rest, and exercise and it will pay off well for you. Be grateful for your blessings and more blessings will come to you.
Old 02-26-2021, 01:51 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Ugh....bad day....
Old 02-26-2021, 02:18 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Hang in there man. Tell us what's going on.
Old 02-26-2021, 02:30 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

What's happening?

It does get better Introvrtd.
Old 02-26-2021, 02:58 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Administrator

whats up man?

D
Old 02-27-2021, 02:14 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Had one of those moments where paws or whatever hit hard yesterday afternoon....I read about a phenomenon regarding how the brain remembers a certain time of day it expects me to be drinking but since I’m not....Wham! The withdrawal hits...

Feels good when things finally calm down and I can rationalize once again....it’s tough to do when Im in the thick of it
Old 02-27-2021, 03:05 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Time to try to reset that clock.
Change your routine up some and see if that helps those times..
Early on I had to do quite a few things differently.
A big one was not hanging out too long in my shop as I used to spend most of my free time out there piddlin and drinking myself into oblivion..
So in the beginning it was a big trigger.

It does get better and easier.
Old 02-27-2021, 03:43 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by fishkiller;[url=tel:7598300
7598300[/url]]Time to try to reset that clock.
Change your routine up some and see if that helps those times..
Early on I had to do quite a few things differently.
A big one was not hanging out too long in my shop as I used to spend most of my free time out there piddlin and drinking myself into oblivion..
So in the beginning it was a big trigger.

It does get better and easier.
Thanks Fish!....It’s tough but I appreciate the support
Old 02-27-2021, 04:07 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Think of it like a mutual fund of ETF stock. Things slowly get better over the long run, sometimes so slowly that you don't even realize it. I stopped drinking April 2019 (with two slip ups in that time) and I just realized the other day that my life is completely different. I still have day to day issues and things improved at such a slow rate I didn't even notice it was happening, but looking back two years ago is like a different person. It feels like it should be ten years ago.

Also like an ETF, the compound interest snowballs in a positive way. One good thing leads to another, then a set back, then more good things ect. At the end of the period you come out way ahead, but there are still bad days in there.