Notices

Online Sponsorship

Old 01-27-2021, 04:44 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Online Sponsorship

Good morning all,
I feel like I might be posting too much. I posted twice yesterday and here I am, one of the first things in the morning and I'm posting.
I do have a question though, about sponsorship. There is a website that I got the name of that's specifically for sponsorship requests, and I've e-mailed them a couple times. Finally, a woman emailed me about sponsorship, started asking me questions, and then abruptly told me that she's no longer doing electronic-sponsorship. That's okay!! I was just surprised that she offered, and then took her offer back as soon as I told her a bit about myself.

Anyhow, do any of you know where online sponsorship requests can be sent? I realize that it won't all just be over email and chats, that phone calls may be in the cards too.

Thanks a lot all.
Have a great day!
Old 01-27-2021, 06:09 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I do not know if online sponsorships are part of SR. But I'm not the person to ask. Perhaps send a PM to one of the Mods. Outside of SR, I got nothing for you as SR is the only online site I am on.

I don't think you should feel like you are posting too much. That is what this place is for!!!

Old 01-27-2021, 06:09 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I do not know if online sponsorships are part of SR. But I'm not the person to ask. Perhaps send a PM to one of the Mods. Outside of SR, I got nothing for you as SR is the only online site I am on.

I don't think you should feel like you are posting too much. That is what this place is for!!!

Old 01-27-2021, 06:51 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Erica375

WindPines, do you mean an AA sponsor? I dont know if other programs have sponsors, but if you mean AA, try calling the (I think it's called) intergroup office nearest you and ask them. You certainly won't be the first to ask!
Old 01-27-2021, 07:51 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

That raises a red flag for me WindPines. Not sure if it is AA related, I would assume so, but in any case be careful with it. The whole nature of a sponsor involves telling them a lot of personal things. Once you're online I'm not sure how the anonymity is maintained, and do you really know where the person is? Just make sure it is an officially sanctioned site if you do that.
Old 01-27-2021, 08:26 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Wind, I don't want to dissuade you from your path, but it is really easy to find a sponsor in any AA zoom meeting. If you need help finding or connecting to a meeting you can ask here or pm me. We'll get you into a meeting in a jiffy.
Old 01-27-2021, 08:29 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yes, if you're looking for an AA sponsor, try calling local AA groups.
Old 01-27-2021, 09:03 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I don't think anyone minds you posting, as often as feels right for you. I've posted a lot, then missed. It is where you are, if it helps you, that is what is important.

I felt I was writing too much so I started Journaling. Eased off of that since but it helped me sort tings out.

Do what feels best for you. You are important.
Old 01-27-2021, 02:36 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

No one minds you posting as much as you need too WP.
Annas right - AA is the best place to find a sponsor. You could also post in the 12 step forum here if you like.

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...-step-support/

And, while I acknowledge Advbikes warning, online sponsorship is probably the only game in town for most people right now.
I'm guessing you'll know if you're a good fit with trust both ways by the time you are ready to start working on step 4 and beyond

D
Old 01-27-2021, 02:59 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I'm wondering if we went to the same site looking for a sponsor because I had a similar thing happen to me. Asked me a bunch of questions then told me I'd be better off finding an in person sponsor and never heard from them again. The reason I am looking for an online sponsor is because I am the caretaker of my elderly parents currently and with covid, rarely leave the home except for necessities. I've got some sobriety under my belt but am having a hard time finding a sponsor & I am so ready to start working the steps. I've been told not to get ahead of myself and start trying to do it alone, but at this point I'm about to. Lol.

I'm going to look in my browser history and find the site that it was because I am curious to see if it was the same one.
Old 01-27-2021, 03:43 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I found my sponsor through SR....he had what I wanted and I reached out. He's stuck with me through my first six month attempt, the following 18 month relapse and now for 20 days. I may have gotten lucky who knows, but I know if you are persistent you will have a sponsor. I attend a variety of online zoom meetings and at some of them they ask if anyone is looking for a sponsor or temporary sponsor. I found a temporary sponsor for a friend through one of those zoom meetings. It can all be done with persistence and dedication.