Notices

First sober vacation (questions included!)

Old 01-28-2021, 09:33 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Samantha

I've been on a lot of trips. Mostly I drank, but those I didn't, I focused on food.
I ate my calories and didn't drink them.
I got at least 10,000 steps a day.
I took lots of pictures and made memories.
I learned.
Old 01-28-2021, 09:38 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Samantha

Originally Posted by Outonthetiles View Post
I went to booze soaked Cabo San Lucas on my honeymoon during my first six months of sobriety. I went with the firm commitment that I wouldn't drink, and I didn't, but I wouldn't recommend going to a place that like during early recovery for everyone. I continued to post here and texted with several people in my SR class during the vacation, but it was tough at times. Luckily my wife drinks very infrequently, so that was a big help too. It was even harder because we'd been there before I got sober, so I consciously avoided places like Squid Row and Giggling Marlin and Mango Deck where I'd gotten absolutely hammered three months earlier.
During our honeymoon, we stayed super busy with ziplining, hiking, and I got into a really nice groove of running up a big hill into a fancy neighborhood every evening when it cooled off. We're going again in 2021 if vaccination works for covid, and I'm looking forward to getting back to my running route there.
My first sober vacation was a real turning point, when I first realized that I had a real shot at staying sober for life. I'd put it in this order:

first time in a sports bar sober (I had to go for a social occasion I couldn't get out of. That was a real turning point for me. I've posted about this before, I actually kept SR open on my phone and kept it on my lap the first time I went out, which was about two or three weeks after my sober date)

first sober concert (a VERY big deal and a very positive experience for me. Before covid, I was seeing a show every couple of weeks, and being sober at a show was a very rewarding experience. I posted about this a lot. Coming home sober after a show is incredible, and in fact a couple of times before covid I was seeing back to back shows because I was up at seven a.m. and ready to go after seeing a show the night before. )

my sober wedding

first sober vacation
Cabo was the most party place I've ever been! I went a couple years ago and drank on the resort but not anywhere else. I passed out the first night, after not sleeping the night before due to the early flight, and then not again for the trip. I couldn't keep up with the party animals lol.
it was crazy!
Old 01-29-2021, 02:08 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I really tempted fate by going to Cabo, but it's kind of "our place," so we go there fairly often and it made sense to go there for our honeymoon. I wouldn't recommend Cabo for anyone but the most firmly committed to sobriety. We put 100 percent of our energy into hiking, walking, running, ziplining, kayaking, snorkeling, and so alcohol wasn't really on the agenda even if I had wanted to drink.
Old 01-29-2021, 07:32 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Samantha

Originally Posted by Outonthetiles View Post
I really tempted fate by going to Cabo, but it's kind of "our place," so we go there fairly often and it made sense to go there for our honeymoon. I wouldn't recommend Cabo for anyone but the most firmly committed to sobriety. We put 100 percent of our energy into hiking, walking, running, ziplining, kayaking, snorkeling, and so alcohol wasn't really on the agenda even if I had wanted to drink.
it's a bit far for us, cancun is much closer but I'd go to Cabo again for the beautiful views....I couldn't get enough.
Old 01-30-2021, 03:47 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

As a regular annual summer vacation we go to the OBX. Usually with other families that drink. For me one of the nicest things about being sober for the week is coming home feeling good and refreshed. Looking back I would drink more than normal on vacation and return home just exhausted. Not any more. Also, I found a wonderful AA morning meeting in Kill Devil Hills called the Turning Point. Sober vacations are great!
Old 01-31-2021, 05:55 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Thank you all for your awesome responses!! Makes me feel a lot more comfortable with going on this little journey of mine this week. We leave today, and it's by car. I'm relieved we're not flying, because of Covid AND drinking. Airports sure do have a way of bringing out the drunk in me. But then again, so does most anywhere else. Or, used to, when I'd visit those places :p
We're leaving this afternoon after the snow clears off the roads a bit. Staying in a hotel this evening, and I've already found a Greenway that's actually right across the street from where our hotel is. It's only a two-mile section of greenery to walk amongst, but any time outside helps ease my cravings.
Leave for the beach tomorrow. This is going to be so much fun!
Hope you all have a great Sunday, and a fantastic week. Thanks again for all of your help. I've enjoyed and cherished reading your messages.
Old 01-31-2021, 07:43 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

You have a great vacation WindPines!!! You will have so much fun. That two mile greenway outside of your hotel - perfect. Get them shoes on walk until you drop. Come back after your vacation and let us know how it went.
Old 01-31-2021, 08:55 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
01-14-2019

Originally Posted by WindPines View Post
Thank you all for your awesome responses!! Makes me feel a lot more comfortable with going on this little journey of mine this week. We leave today, and it's by car. I'm relieved we're not flying, because of Covid AND drinking. Airports sure do have a way of bringing out the drunk in me. But then again, so does most anywhere else. Or, used to, when I'd visit those places :p
We're leaving this afternoon after the snow clears off the roads a bit. Staying in a hotel this evening, and I've already found a Greenway that's actually right across the street from where our hotel is. It's only a two-mile section of greenery to walk amongst, but any time outside helps ease my cravings.
Leave for the beach tomorrow. This is going to be so much fun!
Hope you all have a great Sunday, and a fantastic week. Thanks again for all of your help. I've enjoyed and cherished reading your messages.
I look forward to reading about how your sober vacation went. Also once you've done your sober vacation, you've built up those sober muscles and memories. I found I do SO MUCH more on trips (not that I've had many (Covid)) sober. It's like my time doubled or tripled since I wasn't wasting time planning on, getting and recovering from being wasted during the trip. We would hike some but cut it short to drink. Now it's like - lets do the long trails! No worries about boozy day stomach problems requiring runs to the bathroom either haha.
Old 01-31-2021, 03:36 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Administrator

Happy Trails

D