Notices

Something to think about

Old 01-15-2021, 11:31 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Something to think about

It has been said many times but its kind of true. "Live today to the fullest because it could be your last". We never know right? Live today sober, being present to others, feeling mentally and physically healthy. its a good thing. No one on this site that I know of has regretted sobriety or having long stretches of sobriety.

If you are drinking, seriously consider starting the detox process and giving sobriety a real chance. You definitely have it in you, its just a matter of taking action and making it happen. Nothing worthwhile is ever easy. That's what makes it worthwhile. Sobriety is worth it.

Ok, taking off my cheerleader uniform now. Have a great day everyone. Jeff
Old 01-15-2021, 11:48 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

A long time ago a client of mine told me "Tomorrow is not promised. You never know when you leave your house, if when you are crossing the street that day, that city bus driving down the street, with the driver not looking at the road, has your name on it." Paraphrased and everything but it stuck with me.

Old 01-15-2021, 01:28 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Grateful to be sober 🙏
Old 01-15-2021, 08:17 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lessgravity View Post
A long time ago a client of mine told me "Tomorrow is not promised. You never know when you leave your house, if when you are crossing the street that day, that city bus driving down the street, with the driver not looking at the road, has your name on it." Paraphrased and everything but it stuck with me.
Just before Christmas, a young woman here in my city was hit by a car and killed as she was riding her bike home from a shopping mall. She was 22 and was about to graduate from university. She had popped into the mall on her way home from work to buy an extension cord for the lights she put up for her Christmas tree. In her shopping bag, she also had a lint roller and some chocolate.

The contents of her bag had an effect on me in that she was obviously just doing some last minute shopping and fully expecting to be home in a few minutes to finish her Christmas decorations and then gets run over by a dude who wasn't paying attention to the road.

Your client was right. Could happen to anyone.
Old 01-15-2021, 09:13 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lessgravity View Post
My father who is pretty old now used to say "what if tomorrow you get hit by a pie truck?". I think its basically the same sentiment. And now with Covid, I've seen too many people (up to 6 now) here today, and gone the next. Sadly none died Covid, but other "stuff".

PS. I don't even know what a pie truck is.
Old 01-15-2021, 09:13 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by brighterday1234 View Post
Grateful to be sober 🙏
As we all should be. Right?
Old 01-15-2021, 09:19 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Wastinglife View Post
Just before Christmas, a young woman here in my city was hit by a car and killed as she was riding her bike home from a shopping mall. She was 22 and was about to graduate from university. She had popped into the mall on her way home from work to buy an extension cord for the lights she put up for her Christmas tree. In her shopping bag, she also had a lint roller and some chocolate.

The contents of her bag had an effect on me in that she was obviously just doing some last minute shopping and fully expecting to be home in a few minutes to finish her Christmas decorations and then gets run over by a dude who wasn't paying attention to the road.

Your client was right. Could happen to anyone.
What a sad story, and far too common in my opinion. I've escaped death 3 times and it changes you. For me it changed me for the better. Maybe not for others.
Old 01-16-2021, 09:24 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Ive never seen a pie truck but I will be buying pie when I do run into one..............Lol! Run into one..HA! Im cracking myself up over here.
Old 01-16-2021, 10:02 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

"Sadly none died of Covid, but other "stuff"."

I'm afraid to ask what that means Jeff. I don't want you to get scolded again for bringing politics to this forum.

I can tell you from personal experience that dying from Covid is indeed very sad and very painful. Two of my family members died from it. It is such a frightening, painful, terrifying and lonely way to die.

Old 01-16-2021, 11:35 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Surrendered19 View Post
"Sadly none died of Covid, but other "stuff"."

I'm afraid to ask what that means Jeff. I don't want you to get scolded again for bringing politics to this forum.

I can tell you from personal experience that dying from Covid is indeed very sad and very painful. Two of my family members died from it. It is such a frightening, painful, terrifying and lonely way to die.
3 gunshot to the head
2 hangings
1 alcohol poisoning.

All obviously felt hopeless.
Old 01-16-2021, 11:51 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Whatever Jeff. You still haven't explained what "Sadly none died of Covid" means. But if it is time for you to rage at the gods for a while, have at it.
Old 01-16-2021, 12:33 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Surrendered19 View Post
Whatever Jeff. You still haven't explained what "Sadly none died of Covid" means. But if it is time for you to rage at the gods for a while, have at it.
What it means is that they did not die of the virus, they died of the conditions required of them as a result of the virus. Lost their job, got evicted, wife left them etc..PM me an I;'ll make it very clear. I had a good friend who spent 3 weeks in the hospital as a result of covid but he had co morbidities. Dont get me started, I had an entire year of virology in college.
Old 01-16-2021, 12:40 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

Nope.

We’re done here.

2.Outside Agendas: No posts of an overtly political or religious nature OR posts promoting advocacy of particular personal, medical, legal, religious, political, or non-profit causes. The forums are intended for offering mutual personal support related to recovery from addiction or recovery for family and friends. This is our primary purpose. Debating controversial subjects should be taken elsewhere. Limited references are allowed, but the forums should not be used to convert others. Do not post content or links or materials to and from sites that flame someone's person, religious beliefs, race, national background, sexual orientation, or recovery program/method. It is inappropriate to promote the use of alcohol or drugs on our addiction recovery forums.

Dee
Administrator
SR