Notices

Intro

Old 01-14-2021, 04:13 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Intro

I suck at introductions so please bear with me.

I'm rakara. I've been struggling with addiction for years. I do well for awhile then switch addictions. I am currently dealing with food addiction. I'm also a dry alcoholic and drug addict. Basically, I'm just an addict that is tired of struggling.
Old 01-14-2021, 04:26 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome, rakara.

It's not uncommon for people to switch addictions so you are not alone. I really had to dig deep and work on underlying issues in my life, and there were a lot of them. I'm glad you found us and I know you will find support here.
Old 01-14-2021, 04:32 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Seeking wisdom

Hello Rakara nice to meet you - you came to the best place for addiction support. I relapsed and I'm tire of it too. Keep coming back - we are here for you.....

Old 01-14-2021, 04:35 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and well rakara - Your intro looked good to me.

It can be a little like whack a mole for some of us and our addictions but I think support really helps.

Once I accepted that the problem was me, rather than the drugs or substances I used, I could do better at pinpointing the underling issues and doing something about those.

We really are a friendly bunch - nothing to worry about - tons of support and good ideas here
D
Old 01-14-2021, 06:00 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Rakara. I think your story is common my friend so don't feel like the Lone Ranger. Us addicts are addicts. We don't discriminate. We love to overdo anything at all that is not good for us but gives us momentary pleasure. I hope you can find some peace. SR is a great place to start.
Old 01-14-2021, 06:06 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Well done intro., Rakara. I'm so glad you found us decided to post. We're here to listen and help. Welcome!
Old 01-14-2021, 06:18 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome Rakara! I know the feeling. I go from one to another. If you stay on here and post daily it is so helpful.
Old 01-14-2021, 07:50 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

welcome!
Old 01-14-2021, 08:39 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Glad you found us R. I hope you find lots of support here.

Look around make yourself at home, pull up a chair and let us know how things are going!
Old 01-14-2021, 09:17 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family Rakara! You'll find lots of support and good advice here. We even have an eating disorders forum further down the main index page. Give it a look. Glad you joined us.
Old 01-16-2021, 03:06 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

A program of recovery is required to be mentally, spiritually and physically free from addiction .
Old 01-16-2021, 05:33 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

rakara, I never thought about switching additions too much. I quit smoking cigarettes in my 30s, and that was a major battle, but I kept on drinking for 20 years. Then I quit drinking and that was a major battle, but after that, I started buying cigars by the box. Finally, I stopped that. I think I'm done being addicted to addictions. I don't miss those things anymore. I'm happy they are gone.

I quit doing drugs in my 20s, but that was not an addiction, and it wasn't a battle. I just didn't like the feeling, but I remember when I quit doing drugs, thinking to myself happily, "I will always have legal and cheap alcohol to alter my mind."

One of things that alcohol and tobacco had in common that was a huge factor in my determination to give them up was that they were ADDICTIONS. Sure they destroy your body and you look like an idiot doing them, but the very idea of being addicted to a substance was something I passionately hated about myself. It was fine, until I realized I wasn't able to just put them aside. Trying to go without, and then suddenly realizing that I was addicted for the first time, was freightening. That recognition that I was being controlled by a substance sickened me as much or more than the fact that I was wrecking my mind and my body, and my reputation. I HATED being addicted. It's a loss of free will, something that seems of ultimate importance to me.
Old 01-16-2021, 02:27 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

How are you doing today rakara? A food addiction sounds very tough to get your arms around. You have to eat food every day regardless. I think alcohol and food addictions are more than a bit overlapping. Both are all about toxic levels of sugar and the manufacturer, marketing and delivery of substances that would likely be banned if they were invented today. I hope you are getting some support rakara.