Notices

Newbie here. Quit alcohol 3 days ago. Done with it forever!

Old 01-11-2021, 06:04 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Newbie here. Quit alcohol 3 days ago. Done with it forever!

Hi everyone hope everyone is safe and well. Just a little background on me. I am 57. I was a moderate drinker for most of my life. 2 to 3 drinks a day everyday. I am a musician so I was always in bars gigging. It was hard to say no. Back in the 2007 I quit for 4 years. Not a drop. Didn't even smoke cannabis which I never had a problem with. I got into great shape. Ate well. Did everything right. But then I got diagnosed with cancer. I could not believe it. I even told my doctor at the time that I should just kept drinking. LOL!
But the good lord willing I beat cancer. Been free of it for many years now. But after I beat it I took on a whole new outlook on life. To live it to the fullest. So I said to myself why not have a drink once in a while. Can't hurt. So that was 7 years ago. I went from drinking a couple times a week. To a few more times a week. Then everyday. 2 to 3 drinks. And it didn't help that I worked at a golf course as a bartender for the last 2 years. And most of my friends and fellow golfers were heavy drinkers. All last year I struggled with it. I knew I was going down a bad path. Even my wife made comments to me that I was drinking to much. But I just couldn't get myself to stop or slow down. Finally this new year my goal was to cut back to one per day. Didn't work. On Friday 1/8/21 I went out with a golf friend and had 2 drinks. I woke up on Saturday 1/9 sick as dog. That's when I decided that I was done! I didn't want to drink anymore. No even one drop. So for the past 2 days I have toughed it out. Between being sick and withdrawal I was in hell. Chills, a head ache that I can't begin to tell you how bad it was. Night sweats the past 2 nights and just feeling like crap. This morning on my 3rd day I am starting to feel better. Thank God. The way I look at this now is that if I quit for 4 years while being in bars a lot gigging with my band. Where I had alcohol all around me. I can quit for good now. I will never forget when I was sober having a police car follow me home at 2 am from a gig I played and had the confidence I had that if I was pulled over I would be ok. It was a powerful feeling. I have that same feeling now. So here I am 3 days in. And I can honestly say I will never drink again. Thanks for listening. And may God Bless.
Old 01-11-2021, 06:48 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

That is a great story davidjbass. Welcome to SR and thanks for sharing!!! This is a great place to find some support. Yes, at some point, and it sounds like you are there, it is just time to unlace the gloves and walk away from the fight. You don't have to struggle anymore. We are at the age at which we can be drunk old men and lose our mobility and quality of life or we can thrive and have some good, peaceful, healthy years with quiet minds and bodies. Glad you found SR!!!
Old 01-11-2021, 06:49 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

keep it up!
Old 01-11-2021, 07:22 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I think it is wonderful that you quit. Great work!
You can do this!
Are you going to go get a check up from the doc just to ensure you are doing well?
Old 01-11-2021, 07:31 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yes I will get checked by my MD soon. I am due for a physical. This whole Corona situation has really screwed up things.
Old 01-11-2021, 07:46 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome and congratulations for making it this far.
The first few days are the worst by far. We tend to forget how bad it can be. It becomes easier and easier as you know. 4 years is a very long time and you have the good memories from then to keep you motivated.
Old 01-11-2021, 09:10 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome David. Fantastic decision you have made. If you stick with it the rewards will be huge. I also drank somewhat moderately, 3-4 at a time but not daily. But it really messed me up - I had tons of fear and anxiety, especially around my health, and it destroyed my sleep. I had over 3 years of sobriety from 2013 to early 2017, thanks to this site, but tossed it away after I stopped working my program. Since then I have struggled to make it more than two or three months. I finally realized I had to swallow my pride and come back to here SR, where I can be accountable and help others. It really works!. You will get lots of support here - what you do with it is up to you.

I wish you a successful recovery!

Old 01-11-2021, 09:21 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi David and Welcome,

Congratulations on reaching Day 3 of sobriety. It sounds like you are motivated to make recovery work for you. And, it's very empowering to know that alcohol no longer has a hold on your life.
Old 01-11-2021, 03:23 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thank you for sharing! I am 9 days myself so a newbie as well. It's crazy what we put ourselves thru. I'm rooting for you!
Old 01-11-2021, 03:53 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome David - I'm glad you beat cancer and I know you can beat this too.

But after I beat it I took on a whole new outlook on life. To live it to the fullest. So I said to myself why not have a drink once in a while. Can't hurt.
Isn't it funny that living life to the fullest automatically includes something that is so destructive for drinkers like you and me. Alcohol has one hell of a PR team....

I reckon I'm living life to the fullest now - nearly 14 years sober...

D
Old 01-11-2021, 04:57 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by rosegoldrose View Post
Thank you for sharing! I am 9 days myself so a newbie as well. It's crazy what we put ourselves thru. I'm rooting for you!
Hey Rose thanks I am rooting for you as well.
Old 01-11-2021, 04:58 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Welcome David - I'm glad you beat cancer and I know you can beat this too.

Isn't it funny that living life to the fullest automatically includes something that is so destructive for drinkers like you and me. Alcohol has one hell of a PR team....

I reckon I'm living life to the fullest now - nearly 14 years sober...

D
Congrats on 14 years. I can't wait to be able to say that.
Old 01-11-2021, 04:59 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Boy did I get the shakes today. Lasted about an hour. Glad they are over. I read day 3 can be rough.
Old 01-11-2021, 06:06 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Great to have you join us, david! You're among an encouraging group of friends who care. Congratulations on making the decision to get free of it.
Old 01-11-2021, 06:13 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Way to go DavidJBass!
Old 01-11-2021, 06:42 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thanks for the inspiration David
Old 01-11-2021, 06:51 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Welcome, David! And congrats on your decision to be sober for the rest of your life.
Old 01-11-2021, 08:55 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Thank you for sharing your story. Sending you all the best ,<3
Old 01-12-2021, 04:26 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Newly sober myself and the first 3-4 days were hell for me David, hang in there it is very worth it.
Old 01-12-2021, 08:22 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by slayingthedrago View Post
Newly sober myself and the first 3-4 days were hell for me David, hang in there it is very worth it.
Thanks Slaying I have no plans on going back. Even in my worst moments of the past 2 days when I was shaking like a leaf I swore I would not go back. No matter how hard it got. If I were to change anything that I have done in the past few days it would have been to slowly come down off of it instead of going cold turkey. But can't go back now. Everyday I have felt a little better. Just have to keep plugging along.